JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Lynch offers world peace for $7bn

bea321

SOURCE: http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,12...rticle_continue

Lynch offers world peace for $7bn

Staff and agencies

Thursday July 21, 2005

What price world peace? David Lynch believes he has the answer, and has set the figure at a comparatively svelte $7bn (just over £4bn). The cash will be used to fund a programme of transcendental meditation in schools across the world, with the aim of transforming the depressed, anxious and drug-addled adults of tomorrow into an army of blissed-out pacifists. Problem solved.

The maverick film-maker will channel the money through his new organisation, the David Lynch Foundation for Consciousness-Based Education and World Peace. "I want to raise $7bn dollars," he told Reuters yesterday. "People laugh at $7bn but it would stay in a bank account and the interest would be enough to keep things going on a permanent basis."

He added: "I would like to find some very wealthy individuals who saw the truth of this and said 'I want to do something for the world which is meaningful'. This is a way to bring real peace to earth. Real peace isn't just the absence of war. It is the absence of negativity."

Lynch admits that he has been "practising" transcendental meditation himself for more than three decades, which may come as a surprise to his fans, who have lapped up some of the darkest, wildest films of American cinema, hopping from the nightmare visions of Eraserhead through the picket-fence horror of Blue Velvet through to the lurid spaghetti-junction dramas of 2001's Oscar-nominated Mulholland Drive.

Now the 59-year-old clearly has his sights set on the future. Lynch hopes that his meditation programmes will galvanise the youth of our troubled planet, and is prepared to shrug off the scepticism of his peers. "You can say I'm full of baloney," he said. "But you meet students who get this opportunity and they shine like you couldn't believe."

Have you heard of that? Isn't it stupid to waste so much money (in case he get the cash) when so many people in Africa for example would REALLY need help for AIDS struggle for example?