JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

L&F falls badly on charts

Come on man, I ain't the only one on this board that like KRS-ONE, many peeps on this board like him too, it isn't like giving props to 50 Cent when nobody here likes him, I thought we were ol' school fans here, I don't just talk about KRS-ONE, I talk about MC Hammer, LL Cool J, Public Enemy, Slick Rick, Kurtis Blow, Big Daddy Kane, etc., well if we ain't allowed to talk about our favorite artists I won't post here anymore!  btw, remember that Will says: "I don't follow everybody when it's time to rap", he could easily get 20 guest appearances on his album, release 5 videos at once but that'd be sellin' out to what everyone else is doing, Will stands up for what he believes in and I respect him for that!

Lol, I'm not saying you can't discuss KRS-ONE or Public Enemy... but you discuss either he or someone from the old school in every other post, and the posts generally have the same theme... the industry is hating on them... they aren't popular because the youth of today is brainwashed... if the youth weren't brainwashed, they'd all be selling 5x or whatever...

And it's like, yeah ted... I feel you on that theme, but I also agreed and felt you when you addressed that theme 2 posts ago and when you address it in 7 out of your last 10 posts as well.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'm far too lazy to read all of these long posts about record sales, a topic that I'm not really passionate about (understatement of... forever). But I just read a few of Max's rants, and I feel the need to point out that he is, unquestionably, an expert at "bolding" words and phrases to emphasize points. If I am the master of clickable smilies, MaxFly is the master of bold font. He is the master. Ok, that's all for me.

Edited by scyhigh99

Ok, I'm far too lazy to read all of these long posts about record sales, a topic that I'm not really passionate about (understatement of... forever).  But I just read a few of Max's rants, and I feel the need to point out that he is, unquestionably, an expert at "bolding" words and phrases to emphasize points.  If I am the master of clickable smilies, MaxFly is the master of bold font.  He is the master.  Ok, that's all for me.

Hahaha, you guys are ridiculous. Lol

What can I say, I try to keep the board entertained.

Hey Maxfly I already told you that I was feelin' you for there being only one single in 5 months is not enough but Will doesn't care about outsellin' everyone, get that through your head homie, he says he just closes his eyes when he releases his albums, whoever buys it buys it, he obviously means what he speaks, can you blame him? Why try to get a whole bunch of bandwagon Lorettas anyway? Either you respect his decision for keepin' it true to himself and not the industry's way or you diss him for not promoting enough, I actually respect Will more this way, there's no doubt that hip-hop heads will feel "Party Starter" but I don't know about the TRL crowd that loves you know who and hasn't heard of you know who, lol, the charts don't matter for those who really love hip-hop for the expression, that's what matters the most since it started 30 years ago, not TRL, Will's the only one out there keepin' it true, none of these commercial rappers could touch him, I just wanna see how great the "Party Starter" video is and I like seeing him rock the crowd with Jazzy, I don't care if he outsells anybody either, if he does I'd be happy of course but I don't let the negativity leave me down, real hip-hop is not a popularity contest and I don't give a damn if I said that before 'cause it's true!

• Admin

Hey Top Dawg its Interscope that is in control of when the music is released... Will and Overbrook make all the creative decisions..the album cover the music etc etc.. but its Interscope who determine when the album is released when switch is released to radio when the switch video is released..remember Will had the switch video shot in august of 2004..he was ready and he said he wanted it out in August..and it took 8 months for interscope to release it..thats clearly on interscope not Will.. I have no doubt in my mind that Interscope is the reason for the delay of Party Starter not Will and Overbrook... Either Interscope is sleeping or they just dont put Will as a high priority compared to other artists on their roster..

Hey Top Dawg its Interscope that is in control of when the music is released... Will and Overbrook make all the creative decisions..the album cover the music etc etc.. but its Interscope who determine when the album is released when switch is released to radio when the switch video is released..remember Will had the switch video shot in august of 2004..he was ready and he said he wanted it out in August..and it took 8 months for interscope to release it..thats clearly on interscope not Will.. I have no doubt in my mind that Interscope is the reason for the delay of Party Starter not Will and Overbrook... Either Interscope is sleeping or they just dont put Will as a high priority compared to other artists on their roster..

I figured it'd be Interscope that'd promote the album 'cause on the mostpart independent labels can't afford to get the album distributed to the masses, sometimes they just release their stuff through the internet, yeah they dropped the ball here, music is just like politics, the more ads you have the more popular you are, they didn't give Will proper promotion compared to the others on the label, Will has been doing a lot of it himself, it's not fair to put the blame on him, if he rolled with the other rappers on that label he'd have a multi-platinum album but I think some of us would lose respect for him.

Hey Maxfly I already told you that I was feelin' you for there being only one single in 5 months is not enough but Will doesn't care about outsellin' everyone, get that through your head homie, he says he just closes his eyes when he releases his albums, whoever buys it buys it,  he obviously means what he speaks, can you blame him?  Why try to get a whole bunch of bandwagon Lorettas anyway? Either you respect his decision for keepin' it true to himself and not the industry's way or you diss him for not promoting enough, I actually respect Will more this way, there's no doubt that hip-hop heads will feel "Party Starter" but I don't know about the TRL crowd that loves you know who and hasn't heard of you know who, lol, the charts don't matter for those who really love hip-hop for the expression, that's what matters the most since it started 30 years ago, not TRL, Will's the only one out there keepin' it true, none of these commercial rappers could touch him, I just wanna see how great the "Party Starter" video is and I like seeing him rock the crowd with Jazzy, I don't care if he outsells anybody either, if he does I'd be happy of course but I don't let the negativity leave me down, real hip-hop is not a popularity contest and I don't give a damn if I said that before 'cause it's true!

Ted, I guess my thing is that I don't see Will doing well with Lost and Found and Will being true to himself as mutually exclusive things... I think he can handle his business in the classy way he always has, but at the same time, promote his work to the best of his ability without compromising his integrity. We're not talking payola here... we're talking about releasing one single earlier and doing other songs off of the album...

I also don't agree with the notion that it's "Either you respect his decision for keepin' it true to himself and not the industry's way or you diss him for not promoting enough." I'm not dissing Will, and it doesn't seem like it has to be an either/or, all or nothing choice. I think a person can respect the fact that Will has stayed true to himself and has handled things with integrity while at the same time point out specific things that may have helped him to be more successful with the projects he has undertaken. There's no middle ground? It's either diss him or agree with everything he does? You make it sound as if Will's promoting or attempt to promote the album better would mean that he's not being true to himself. As long as he handles things with integrity, he is being true to himself.

There are certain standard business practices in music that help you to promote and market your work. Releasing a single is probably the most innocent and standard of all of them, moral and immoral...

What if Will believed that breaking up with Jazzy and not doing music or movies ever again was being true to himself... Would I respect it? Of course... I would even go as far as trying to understand such a decision, but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it and suddenly agree with it.

As you have intimated, if Will somehow believes that releasing Party Starter earlier is not being true to himself (which is farfetched concept in itself)... I can repsect that decision, but in a forum such as this, there's nothing wrong with my expressing that I don't agree with such a decision.

However, the truth of the matter is that releasing Party Starter a month to a month and a half earlier would not have caused Will to compromise himself in any way. The way you speak, you make it seem as if it would have.

We must also remember that we don't know that Will has the absolute final word on when singles are released. Interscope may very well be responsible for the delay of Party Starter. I'd be a lot happier to blame interscope than Will. Podcast worthy material indeed...

Edited by bigted

I like to see this arguing back and forth, it is rather entertaining, but rather lengthy to read.

I like to see this arguing back and forth, it is rather entertaining, but rather lengthy to read.

:lolsign: Yeah this has been an entertaining post to say the least!

i, for one, will gladly let either Max or Ted take my place on the radio show, cuz they seem 2 have a lot 2 say and they're good at articulating their opinions in a very good way. why scy as the host, i'm sure he'll keep everything under control :2thumbs: