JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

L&F falls badly on charts

• Members

Not surprised in the least... single success doesn't necessarily translate into success for the album.

Yeah look at Fat Joe, his single "Get It Poppin'" is one of the most popular songs of the summer but his album's gonna sell less than Bow Wow, lol, but why do we talk like "Party Starter"'ll save the album then? I'm happy with going gold here, I was worried that it'd even do that after the "Born To Reign" disaster and with mostly G Unit and Aftermath artists getting airplay and how much disrespect ol' school rappers get in the commercial scene, since MTV calls Eminem the original storyteller and ignores Slick Rick, I figured that nobody wanted to hear Will anymore, but it's reached my expectations and everything from this point on is a bonus, so I'm gonna chill!

Couldn't Say it Any Better. Will made a comeback, no doubt about it. Everything from now really is just a bonus.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not surprised in the least... single success doesn't necessarily translate into success for the album.

Yeah look at Fat Joe, his single "Get It Poppin'" is one of the most popular songs of the summer but his album's gonna sell less than Bow Wow, lol, but why do we talk like "Party Starter"'ll save the album then? I'm happy with going gold here, I was worried that it'd even do that after the "Born To Reign" disaster and with mostly G Unit and Aftermath artists getting airplay and how much disrespect ol' school rappers get in the commercial scene, since MTV calls Eminem the original storyteller and ignores Slick Rick, I figured that nobody wanted to hear Will anymore, but it's reached my expectations and everything from this point on is a bonus, so I'm gonna chill!

Ted, Gold was your expectation... wow... Even after hearing the album, you didn't think it could do better than that?

I think that people are hoping that the Party Starter release will generate interest in the album again. It would have been best if that were done 2 months ago but beggars can't be choosers...

Then again, people were being "optimistic" and saying that album sales were gonna stay high throughout the year, and that milking Switch was a good thing, so...

Couldn't Say it Any Better. Will made a comeback, no doubt about it. Everything from now really is just a bonus.

Spin.

If Will had sold 300k, people would be saying, see... he's on a comeback, he did better on Lost and Found than he did on Born 2 Reign...

Spin...

People were saying that it could sell 4x when the album leaked... now all of a sudden, anything over gold... even gold itself is bonus... platinum is a miracle... come on guys...

Do you guys really believe that Lost and Found's #85 on the charts is a bonus?

Edited by MaxFly

Sales have nothing to do with quality, you mean to tell me that Nelly's dropping classic albums? Eminem's "Encore" is one of the worst albums in hip-hop history yet it's sold 5 million, it more than double the sales of Kanye's "College Dropout" which is a classic album compared to that trash, the wacker you are the more you sell now, I mean it used to be about quality when Run-DMC, JJFP, PE, KRS, and LL were topping the charts back in the day, but now it's changed, if it was about quality that top the charts "Street's Disciple", "Lost and Found", "BE", and "The Defintion" would sell 10 million and KRS-ONE, MF Doom, and Hieroglyphics would get airplay, "Encore" would sell less than 100,000 along with that other garbage on the airwaves that gets played so much that I don't even listen to the radio or they wouldn't even have record deals, I don't give a damn about emptv! Hip-hop heads don't talk about sales when they talk about great albums, they talk about the music, as long as Will makes great music he'll stay relevant in the hip-hop world, maybe not to emptv though, I'm happy that the album's great and he's not selling out his style just to sell more, the real fans respect it. Will summed this up perfect here of what commercial rap has become compared to what it used to be:

"I call for the days of the unadulterated

When the artistry was cultivated

You know, back when rap was smart and multilayered

We could rap without A&Rs& ultimatums"

There's my 2 cents, I'm out!

Edited by bigted

I'm the first to agree that sales don't translate to quality, and in this age, vice versa...

However, as fans of Will, we want the album to sell well. We're not talking about sales for the sake of sales... Lost and Found has a message, not just for the fans, but for everyone that listens to hip hop or claims to be about hip hop. The album needs to be promoted... it needs to be talked about, not just on this forum, but on boxden, the IC, and other general hip hop forums. It shouldn't be that the album come out at the end of March, is talked about for the first week of April, and then drops off the radar. There is no buzz for Lost and Found. That's the problem.

We're talking about sales for the sake of people being exposed to real hip hop. We're talking about sales for the sake of kids who need to hear a positive message when everyday, craziness is engulfing them.

We're talking about sales for the sake of parents who are tired of their kids listening to music about drugs and hoes, and dollars dollars...

We're talking about sales for the sake of someone who has dug deep within himself to share apart of his life and his thoughts and deserves to be rewarded for it.

This is why we're talking about sales. What better way to say, "Look, we're not going to listen to the foolishness that you're trying to pump into our homes anymore and your messages have to change" than by actually showing them that the people with positive messages who put thought and diversity into their music are the ones who are being supported.

Lost and Found can do well. The reason it is where it is now and not at 800k or plat is because people stopped paying attention to it. It was hot for 2 weeks... everyone was talking about it, but then it faded into obscurity because the support it got upon it's original release fell off hard.

What's worse, Switch is not fully representative of Lost and Found. Lost and Found is not really a party album, but those listening to it and it alone would really have no idea what the album was like.

What's my point...

We're not or at least I'm not worried that Lost and Found won't go 5x... I don't think anyone realistically expects it to sell that much. My thing is that it could have done a lot better than how it has done so far with a little more attention and better management.

When we talk about sales, we're not talking about 50 cent numbers... Were talking about where the album is right now compared to where it should be.

• Admin

I was happy and hoping Lost & Found went gold from the get go.. If you looked at where Wills music career was and the disrespect and resistance he was getting towards his music he had to fight back from a long way.. Would I like it to go platinum? Sure.. But the albums gone gold so we are assure of another album and it was a dope album so i'm pretty happy about it

Yes party starter should have been released by now we all agree with that.. but it hasnt so lets wait till its released August 9.. do everything in our power to get in on TRL, BET, request it everywhere we can.. because if its a success I think it will have a huge impact on the long term sales of lost & found..

Yes party starter should have been released by now we all agree with that.. but it hasnt so lets wait till its released August 9.. do everything in our power to get in on TRL, BET, request it everywhere we can.. because if its a success I think it will have a huge impact on the long term sales of lost & found..

Indeed...

I'm the first to agree that sales don't translate to quality, and in this age, vice versa...

However, as fans of Will, we want the album to sell well. We're not talking about sales for the sake of sales... Lost and Found has a message, not just for the fans, but for everyone that listens to hip hop or claims to be about hip hop. The album needs to be promoted... it needs to be talked about, not just on this forum, but on boxden, the IC, and other general hip hop forums. It shouldn't be that the album come out at the end of March, is talked about for the first week of April, and then drops off the radar. There is no buzz for Lost and Found. That's the problem.

We're talking about sales for the sake of people being exposed to real hip hop. We're talking about sales for the sake of kids who need to hear a positive message when everyday, craziness is engulfing them.

We're talking about sales for the sake of parents who are tired of their kids listening to music about drugs and hoes, and dollars dollars...

We're talking about sales for the sake of someone who has dug deep within himself to share apart of his life and his thoughts and deserves to be rewarded for it.

This is why we're talking about sales. What better way to say, "Look, we're not going to listen to the foolishness that you're trying to pump into our homes anymore and your messages have to change" than by actually showing them that the people with positive messages who put thought and diversity into their music are the ones who are being supported.

Lost and Found can do well. The reason it is where it is now and not at 800k or plat is because people stopped paying attention to it. It was hot for 2 weeks... everyone was talking about it, but then it faded into obscurity because the support it got upon it's original release fell off hard.

What's worse, Switch is not fully representative of Lost and Found. Lost and Found is not really a party album, but those listening to it and it alone would really have no idea what the album was like.

What's my point...

We're not or at least I'm not worried that Lost and Found won't go 5x... I don't think anyone realistically expects it to sell that much. My thing is that it could have done a lot better than how it has done so far with a little more attention and better management.

When we talk about sales, we're not talking about 50 cent numbers... Were talking about where the album is right now compared to where it should be.

Hey I really want this album to do well too to save hip-hop, I'm not trying to act like I don't care about it, it breaks my heart as a hip-hop fan to see the way hip-hop is right now, but I was just being realistic there, we can't go back in the past, we could only look forward and see what happens, I hope that Will releases "Tell Me Why" still even if the album falls off the chart 'cause there's no doubt that everyone needs to hear that powerful message!

I agree with Tim and Ted, the reason this album needs to sell and needs to have singles is because it has a message to get across. Hip-Hop needs Will, it needs conscious MC's to keep it real and give the fans real music.

I agree with Tim and Ted, the reason this album needs to sell and needs to have singles is because it has a message to get across.  Hip-Hop needs Will, it needs conscious MC's to keep it real and give the fans real music.

Um... lol, wasn't that me as well... :hmm:

Edited by MaxFly

• Members

Spin.

If Will had sold 300k, people would be saying, see... he's on a comeback, he did better on Lost and Found than he did on Born 2 Reign...

Spin...

People were saying that it could sell 4x when the album leaked... now all of a sudden, anything over gold... even gold itself is bonus... platinum is a miracle... come on guys...

Do you guys really believe that Lost and Found's #85 on the charts is a bonus?

Well, first off, some of us never made that prediction (I wasn't a member at the time).

Secondly, you can't hold someone to their predictions like that. I remember the first time I heard L&F. I couldn't believe how great the album was, the song moved from one to the next perfectly, and the overall album seemed to have a great flow. One song became my favorite, then on each listen my favorite song seemed to change. I think a lot of people felt this way, so I don't blam them for saying 4X.

Still, lets be serious, Will hadn't been on most mainstream radio for years (I never heard a Born to Reign single in Fenton, MO). It was going to take a while for Will to get big again, and I've argued before that if Will was coming off an album like Big Willie Style, Switch would have been number 1. It wasn't, simply because it took a long time for all radio to accept Will again. They have now, that is a comeback, pure and simple.

Everything else is a bonus at this point. I'm loving it, and I can't wait for the next album.

Edited by njc2b5

I'm not saying every everyone made that prediction. I highlight that to say that in general, people believed that it would do very well, and from the buzz it was creating, gold was expected and people were glad in general when it got there, but were still looking forward to platinum and even multiplatinum.

But it's not a good sign when the fans are just ignoring the fact that the album just fell about 30 spots on the charts...

An album as good as Lost and Found with the potential singles and the initial buzz it had in the hip hop circles shouldn't be at number 85 right now. I don't think there's any way you can realistically spin that to say that being at #85 right now is a bonus. It would probably be a bonus in the days of Born 2 Reign, but not now with the initial success it enjoyed and the way it was recieved in the market.

That's almost like saying that everything after Wild Wild West and Bagger Vance is bonus.

I don't know. Maybe my expecations are too high...

Edited by MaxFly

I think a lot of us were just being optimistic in hoping that it'd sell 4 million and save hip-hop but I don't think we were being realistic about that, the majority of commercial rap fans think that conscious rap is corny, you could tell by what they buy, Nas' last 2 albums didn't go platinum and he's supposed to be one of the more popular conscious rappers, even when he released songs "I Can", "Bridgin' The Gap", and "Just Another Moment" that had strong messages to them, plus the fact that 99.9% of hip-hop albums have "Parental Advisory" on them doesn't make it any easier for Will either, he still chooses not to curse in his rhymes since he wants to stay true to his beliefs, so fans might diss him for that too, that's why they also dissed LL's last 2 albums and say he fell off, a lot of these commercial rap fans ain't really that open minded to listen to conscious rap or rap that has a message to it, I ain't feelin' a lot of the ignorance they talk about on those so called hip-hop forums, I don't think even if "Tell Me Why" comes out much'll really change, even since after "Jesus Walks" came out there's still a lot of songs out now with no message, it's gonna take more than a few artists to change the pollution that 100 lost rappers are doing, in fact as long as hip-hop stays commercial it might be this way, you can't complain about how wack commercial rap is if you buy those trash CDs, the consumers have to step up and make a change by not buying the trash but as long as they buy it, the gimmicks will continue! "Diamonds..." isn't the best conscious rap song ever but I'd rather see that on TRL than "Ass Like That", this is what tells you about how bad the commercial scene is right now, there should be more consious rappers on main labels but they get pushed to the side but they could easily outrhyme all this commercial rappers, in a few years Nas'll be on an independent label too at this rate. It's like what KRS-ONE said in "Come To The Party" back in '97 that's still relevant today:

"Negative rap, positive rap, forget that black it's a trap

to set us back, concentrate on various rap talents

Presently the rap radio format is unbalanced

You either got the player, or the concious rhyme sayer

all day, on your radio, not with a different flavor

Someone has to DIE before you hear a concious record

People don't like gangsta rap but concious rap they don't respect it"

Edited by bigted

:word:

the current state of hip hop is ridiculous! there is no way just one rapper can save the game. We need a collabo, a handful of the best clean rappers to straighten out what appears to be worst period of hip hop. Many great rappers are absoultely fed up with it and have quit, simply because hip hop is where it is now (example Jin, not sure if you guys even like him, but he's good, you should check him out)... :thatsux: