JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

I can't see there being a problem

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we overhyped the live 8 thing alot. Alot of artists didn't get their albums raised in the chats after that. And alot of those were artists like Will that had just released somethin. Those who went up were pink floyd and annie lennox. THose kinda artists. Now if Live 8 would've had only will performing for 3 billion viewers..then daoymn! But that wasn't the case, he melted in to the whole set of artists.

• Admin

well gwen stefanis album has been out for over a year and its selling the most ever right now.. as long as you have multiple hits your sales will stay strong and even increase.. it doesnt matter that the album has been out a year..because the hit singles have sort of a cumulative effect.. some1 hears 2 3 dope songs from an album they are gonna buy it.. me personally tho.. im gonna worry about lost and found getting to platinum..after that we'll worry abt multi-plat.. anything is possible..the album is strong..its just the singles that will determine how much it sells :word:

Well call me wishful thinker if u will,... lmbo... preciate that! ...but I'm like a coupla others who aint lost in the 90's,... I also think that slowly but surely, it may just hit platinum. and when it does, imma do a B2K fan's thing, and BUMP this post! lol yep...wishful thinker I am,... :2thumbs:

peace,

cookie

thinking about it, how many non-dedicated Will Smith fan's or general people would have bought the album yet, just off hearing Switch? Not many me thinks...

very true...there are probably a few peeps that are waiting for a new single before they decide to part with their hard earned cash just off the back of one single, which to be honest i don't blame them for. It's not very often buy an album just after hearing just one song from it, i think the only artists i do that with are Jeff, Will, Boyz II Men, Alicia Keys and maybe a couple more. So i reckon he's still on the road to a platinum album, and after that who knows...but fingers crossed :1-say-yes:

Well call me  wishful thinker if u will,... lmbo... preciate that! ...but I'm like a coupla others who aint lost in the 90's,... I also think that slowly but surely, it may just hit platinum.  and when it does,  imma do a B2K fan's thing, and BUMP this post! lol yep...wishful thinker I am,...  :2thumbs:

peace,

cookie 

Who said he ain't going platinum..?

thinking about it, how many non-dedicated Will Smith fan's or general people would have bought the album yet, just off hearing Switch? Not many me thinks...

I'd have to agree...

But then that brings us back to the question, why has Switch been the only single for going on 5 months...

Does anyone think that releasing Party Starter a month to a month and a half ago would have hurt the album or inhibited it's rise to platinum and multiplatinum. I contend that it would have helped the album.

But I think this goes back to the point. I think we're taking for granted that it doesn't matter when a single is released, that same amount of people will buy it; the same people who would be interested and willing to buy Lost and Found in June when they heard Party Starter would have the same interest in August or September when they hear Party Starter.

It doesn't work like that.

A. Internet Piracy - The more time passes without a person buying an album, the more likely a person will be to download the album and not buy it.

B. Competition - As more time passes and more albums come out, the more competition a given album has to deal with in capturing the attention of prospective buyers.

C. Loss of Interest - This one is indeed shallow, but in general, the average music buyer prefers the new to the old. A person is just less likely to buy an album after a few months, especially if they haven't heard too much about it, regardless of how hot a single song is. Usually, at this point, someone would just get the single, not the album.

D. Location, Location, Location - The better your album sells, the more visible your album is in stores and the easier it is to find, especially for people not necessarily looking for that album. As time increases and sales decrease, the harder it becomes to find an album. This is one of the biggest arguments for an artist keeping themselves in the limelight. The longer they keep their album sales up and their content fresh, the more visible it will be in retail stores eager to market that artist.

E. Promotion and Time - Sales often vary proportionally with promotion. However, especially for Will, the more time passes, the more other projects come up and as a result, the less time an artist has to promote and focus their attention on the CD they released a few months back.

• Admin

the problem with your theory maxfly is 1 month ago switch reached its peak on the billboard charts #7 and was getting over 7000 spins on radio.. "switch's second wind.. or radios slow uptake on the song" is probably what delayed interscope in releasing party starter

• Members

well gwen stefanis album has been out for over a year and its selling the most ever right now.. as long as you have multiple hits your sales will stay strong and even increase.. it doesnt matter that the album has been out a year..because the hit singles have sort of a cumulative effect.. some1 hears 2 3 dope songs from an album they are gonna buy it.. me personally tho.. im gonna worry about lost and found getting to platinum..after that we'll worry abt multi-plat.. anything is possible..the album is strong..its just the singles that will determine how much it sells  :word:

How could you possibly compare Gwen with Will? Her album sales are purely due to her sex appeal. She's stripping off in all of her videos and practically appearing in her lingerie. She's more of a sex symbol and a fashion icon than a music artist. :thatsux:

Tim, you make a good point.

But that being said, what did that do for the album... It gave the album a bump for 2 weeks, and now for the past 4 weeks, possibly 5 when the final numbers come for this week, the album has fallen in sales and out of the top 50.

My question is...

If interscope is so keen as to notice when a single is doing well, even to the point that they would delay the subsequent single, why aren't they sharp enough to realize that the single isn't helping the album anymore. We've been listening to Switch since February... even though the song may have grown on people only lately, fresh content is definitely needed.

While it is unprecedented and highly highly unlikely, if Switch, by some miracle, were to climb the charts again, would it then be reasonable for Interscope to delay the release of Party Starter as Lost and Found continues to fall.

Well call me  wishful thinker if u will,... lmbo... preciate that! ...but I'm like a coupla others who aint lost in the 90's,... I also think that slowly but surely, it may just hit platinum.  and when it does,  imma do a B2K fan's thing, and BUMP this post! lol yep...wishful thinker I am,...  :2thumbs:

peace,

cookie 

only thing i wanna say 2 u right now Frenetic is BACK the freak off...

i can care less at this point, OK!>? I dont know what direction ur argument has tryna come of @ this point... when I said know Will SMith can and will go platinum, and you choose to differ. Yes, I would love 2 see him go even multiplatinum, but Im wishing on whatever level of success for him.

If ur looking for a tree to piss on,...then ur barking up the WRONG tree...

U so smart..why dont u come up with some alternative ideas to shoot at Will then... NOT me...

#*@#%$ ^#$%*

peace,

cookie

peace,

cookie 

only thing i wanna say 2 u right now Frenetic is BACK the freak off...

i can care less at this point, OK!>? I dont know what direction ur argument has tryna come of @ this point... when I said know Will SMith can and will go platinum, and you choose to differ. Yes, I would love 2 see him go even multiplatinum, but Im wishing on whatever level of success for him.

If ur looking for a tree to piss on,...then ur barking up the WRONG tree...

U so smart..why dont u come up with some alternative ideas to shoot at Will then... NOT me...

#*@#%$ ^#$%*

peace,

cookie

Step up your reading game. I said it will go platinum. Not multi-platinum.

Who the -|- are you to act like a superior muhfuc*a against me, and when I set **** straight, u wave me off like nothing.

"when I said know Will Smith can and will go platinum, and you choose to differ"

No I didn't, I said he won't go multiplatinum. Then u said that I said he ain't gone go platinum at all. So i just gave u the truth: I didn't say that.

Now u going all Bobby Brown on me.

Tim, you make a good point.

But that being said, what did that do for the album... It gave the album a bump for 2 weeks, and now for the past 4 weeks, possibly 5 when the final numbers come for this week, the album has fallen in sales and out of the top 50.

My question is...

If interscope is so keen as to notice when a single is doing well, even to the point that they would delay the subsequent single, why aren't they sharp enough to realize that the single isn't helping the album anymore. We've been listening to Switch since February... even though the song may have grown on people only lately, fresh content is definitely needed.

While it is unprecedented and highly highly unlikely, if Switch, by some miracle, were to climb the charts again, would it then be reasonable for Interscope to delay the release of Party Starter as Lost and Found continues to fall.

Interscope is acting kinda nonchalant. The know they're the hottest label in the game, they know that Will doesn't really care so much about sales and the budget for the promotion and album wasn't that high. So they're pretty much happy if he sells gold even less. Now it might just be a matter of sticking to a contract...and thats why they're releasing singles.

PS should've been released to radio when switch fell one step on the billboard. After that it went down harder. And until PS has catched on and with a video out...there will be no hype around Will.