JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Big Willie Style vs. Lost and Found

marz

• Members

"Big Willie Style" and "Lost and Found" are as if it was recorded by two different artists. Here's the thing, when I feel like dancing and throwing my hands up and waving them like I just don't care ( :haha: ), I LOVE listening to BWS. But when its more of a conscious lyrical thingie time for me, then L&F is the way I lean towards. :smart: (Except for Pump Ya Brakes, If You Can't Dance and ofcourse, HHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYY, HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYY! :lolsign: )

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that's what seperates Will from a lot of other rappers is that each disc has a different theme to it that's relevant to Will's life at the time, at the time of "Big Willie Style" Will was living large with blockbuster films left and right and was set to get married to Jada so he put that happiness into his raps, most production out at that time was recycled beats, Puffy and Dr. Dre were the masters of that then, that was the worst time in production in hip-hop history, "The Chronic" and "Ready To Die" were great productions but then they got washed up with all their beats sounding similar, then again it's mostly the same now too, and now with "Lost and Found" Will is more mature being settled down with Jada and has more kids and is dealing with more issues in his mid-30s that he didn't have when he was 25, 26, 27 years old, realising who his real friends are when he's the only rapper that stays true to himself, this is more mature than what he's ever done but even the less mature stuff that he made when he was in his early-mid 20s is still classic though 'cause he still loves performing those ol' school tracks he made too, Will's a legend 'cause he puts his life into his music, I hope when he tours with Jazzy Jeff later this year that'll inspire another JJFP album.

Edited by bigted

I agree with Tim that Lost and Found is much better than Big Willie Style. There is much more substance, it shows his growth from BWS up to L&F.

At first I enjoyed Big Willie style more, I don't know i like that fun stuff, but listenening to Lost and found with the bonus tracks( I can't believe "coming to the stage and "we won't" weren't included) has tipped the balance for me-Lost and found kicks ass!!!

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I think BWS is an album everyone can enjoy due to the samples keeping it up-beat - samples that were cleverly used I believe - I've heard people say Will was a novice ( :nhawong: ) for having so many samples in his songs, but I feel it worked out well for the album, keeping it an up-beat and fun album.

Lost and Found didn't musically achieve for me what BWS and Willenium do. Lyrically however, I agree when people say it shows how he has grown up and evolved, with the lyrics becoming more down to earth (such as the topic of 9/11 on Tell Me Why). I didn't find myself listening to all the tracks on L&F, as some I couldn't handle the beat of the song - I found it too lairy.

I still stand fully behind my words when I say there aren't many other artists that I can listen to the lyrics of the song without feeling they are too agressive, or are accompanied by a too agressive musical backing.

TooFresh: Pump Me Up rules! :thumbsup:

Lost and Found didn't musically achieve for me what BWS and Willenium do. Lyrically however, I agree when people say it shows how he has grown up and evolved, with the lyrics becoming more down to earth (such as the topic of 9/11 on Tell Me Why). I didn't find myself listening to all the tracks on L&F, as some I couldn't handle the beat of the song - I found it too lairy.

Musically, Big Willie Style is the blandest album if we are talking about production. Lost + Found has a solid, heavier sound. Born To Reign was different and experimentals. And Willennium had the best, most classic and timeless sound...tho' some of the mainsteam ready tracks inturuppted the flow. Big Willie Style's production is good and perfect for it's time, but there were alot of samples. They were pulled off nicely, but still, the album is mostly samples. And the over sound is straight forward. No bells, whistles, no stretching...just good beats. It's not a bad thing, but when being compared 2 the other albums, is feel that BWS is the standard, the most basic, and the blandest.

Musically, Big Willie Style is the blandest album if we are talking about production. Lost + Found has a solid, heavier sound. Born To Reign was different and experimentals. And Willennium had the best, most classic and timeless sound...tho' some of the mainsteam ready tracks inturuppted the flow. Big Willie Style's production is good and perfect for it's time, but there were alot of samples. They were pulled off nicely, but still, the album is mostly samples. And the over sound is straight forward. No bells, whistles, no stretching...just good beats. It's not a bad thing, but when being compared 2 the other albums, is feel that BWS is the standard, the most basic, and the blandest.

Yepp, I can agree here! :thumbsup:

I like the album BWS but there are really a lot of samples in it but still a great album tho'! :wickedwisdom:

And what I gotta say about L&F is that it's cool and enough that he did this angry style once, chose some nice topics to rap about and being more serious, givin' some answers back to some of the other rappers who dissed him before. I like that, it was really nice but I think he did it once and that's enough. He showed people that he can be serious, too and rap with a more angry style and choose some nice topics for his lyrics but he doesn't need to do it anymore. He showed them once and that's cool - just like 'Hey guys, listen, if I want I can rap about serious things in the world and tell the truth but that's just not my style'.

Edited by E - Style-Greesy - E

1. Lost & Found - His best solo album, lyrics, beats and flow everything was on point ... one of the best hip hop albums album in 2005 beside Common's Be and Little Brother's minstrel show! If it would have sold more ...the public would have recognized it would have been classic status just like He's the DJ I'm the Rapper! Really bad promotion from Intersope and after Switch from Will, too. 4.5 mics

2. Big Willie Style - Great fun and party album with some serious undertones (Just the two of us, Just cruisin), A lot of mass appeal, production very commercialized, but everyone was doing this from Rakim to Jay-Z in 97! Kept Will's rap career going...for me it was a right step from Will because at this time Hip Hop's Internatization began and Will became the first "global rap superstar" (ask Russel Simmons)! By the way he showed Jive records that he can still sell records! 4 mics

3. Willenium - I like Jazz's involve in the production, but overall the album tries to do some crossover from BWS (Will 2K, Freakin it) to the old JJ+FP (so fresh, potnas) days. And I think this combination of both wasn't done well...it would have been better if Will spit on some of Jeff's solo stuff (Magnificient)! WWW is one of the best hip hop videos ever made. 3 .5 mics

4. Born to Reign - Very experimental, Will seemed not really focussed on music on this album. Like he was pushed to put on album, was marketed whack. The gereral bias from rap critics against Will was higher than ever, also because he got dissed by a white boy from Detroit! :-) 3 mics

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

1. Lost & Found - His best solo album, lyrics, beats and flow everything was on point ... one of the best hip hop albums album in 2005 beside Common's Be and Little Brother's minstrel show! If it would have sold more ...the public would have recognized it would have been classic status just like He's the DJ I'm the Rapper! Really bad promotion from Intersope and after Switch from Will, too. 4.5 mics

2. Big Willie Style - Great fun and party album with some serious undertones (Just the two of us, Just cruisin), A lot of mass appeal, production very commercialized, but everyone was doing this from Rakim to Jay-Z in 97! Kept Will's rap career going...for me it was a right step from Will because at this time Hip Hop's Internatization began and Will became the first "global rap superstar" (ask Russel Simmons)! By the way he showed Jive records that he can still sell records! 4 mics

3. Willenium - I like Jazz's involve in the production, but overall the album tries to do some crossover from BWS (Will 2K, Freakin it) to the old JJ+FP (so fresh, potnas) days. And I think this combination of both wasn't done well...it would have been better if Will spit on some of Jeff's solo stuff (Magnificient)! WWW is one of the best hip hop videos ever made. 3 .5 mics

4. Born to Reign - Very experimental, Will seemed not really focussed on music on this album. Like he was pushed to put on album, was marketed whack. The gereral bias from rap critics against Will was higher than ever, also because he got dissed by a white boy from Detroit! :-) 3 mics

1) I would say that not everything was on point, some stuff was corny. like if you cant dance. this is actually the only will smith album i completely took off my ipod. born to reign is 2 songs now.

2) for most part i agree here. it was his comeback album.

3) i would say that this is his best album. it has some tracks i would take out including wild wild west and da butta and la fiesta. will 2k doesnt really bother me. i do agree that will 2k and freakin it do give off a BWS vibe too to but thats not a bad thing. i personally love so fresh and its probally the best song on the album to me . tracks like the rain and afro angel are extremely good.

4) i agree totally. i wouldnt even call ems diss a diss. he was just being eminem and doing his controversial thing.

• 1 month later...