JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

"Pursuit of Happyness"

bigwillfan

I think the movie's going to do well. Independence Day got horrible reviews and MIB got bad reviews initially as well. Ali got great reviews, but no one went to see it. So many people have said it's a great movie that something seems off. People are either saying it's great or it's poor... No middle ground.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the movie's going to do well. Independence Day got horrible reviews and MIB got bad reviews initially as well. Ali got great reviews, but no one went to see it. So many people have said it's a great movie that something seems off. People are either saying it's great or it's poor... No middle ground.

This is also very true. I hope your right about this.

To be honest critics are cynical (enter a random curse word here lol). The guy

that gave it a 2 out of 10 seems to base his review on his own prejudices. He seems so biased

that he basically critisizes it for the lack of entertainment, I mean the movie is based on a true story

and anyone who reads the book or knows what the movie is about knows that entertainment is the last aspect

to be featured in such a movie.

That's the problem with critics, they want it all. They critisized WWW, the movie

is a sci-fi pure entertainer and the purpose is only to entertain, yet they critisize it for being to surreal. Well duh.

The biggest problem IMO, is they don't critisize on a separate genre, if the movie is about pure action, then your

review should be only about that aspect, and not about the phylosophical aspects or the lack of a story etc.

I thought BBII was one of the best action/comedy movies ever to be produced. Yet they critisized it for all the reasons except

they forgot to base their reviews on aspects strictly like action and comedy. It had the best action and comedy scenes.

Borat is a fine example of this, the only aspect of that movie is comedy, yet it has a 90 some % on RT and 8 out of 10 on imdb.

Borat is a fine example that shows the stupidity and cynicsm of critics.

Also, is it me, or do critics have some sort of prejudices towards will ? Seems like no matter

how well he does he always gets critisized and the appreciation he gets from them is very little.

For example with I am Legend, if you ask 10 critics what they think about will smith and I am legend, they'll

automatically assume it will be another big willy movie.It might be, but you should always get a fair chance with a clean sheet.

This is also very true. I hope your right about this.

To be honest critics are cynical (enter a random curse word here lol). The guy

that gave it a 2 out of 10 seems to base his review on his own prejudices. He seems so biased

that he basically critisizes it for the lack of entertainment, I mean the movie is based on a true story

and anyone who reads the book or knows what the movie is about knows that entertainment is the last aspect

to be featured in such a movie.

That's the problem with critics, they want it all. They critisized WWW, the movie

is a sci-fi pure entertainer and the purpose is only to entertain, yet they critisize it for being to surreal. Well duh.

The biggest problem IMO, is they don't critisize on a separate genre, if the movie is about pure action, then your

review should be only about that aspect, and not about the phylosophical aspects or the lack of a story etc.

I thought BBII was one of the best action/comedy movies ever to be produced. Yet they critisized it for all the reasons except

they forgot to base their reviews on aspects strictly like action and comedy. It had the best action and comedy scenes.

Borat is a fine example of this, the only aspect of that movie is comedy, yet it has a 90 some % on RT and 8 out of 10 on imdb.

Borat is a fine example that shows the stupidity and cynicsm of critics.

Also, is it me, or do critics have some sort of prejudices towards will ? Seems like no matter

how well he does he always gets critisized and the appreciation he gets from them is very little.

For example with I am Legend, if you ask 10 critics what they think about will smith and I am legend, they'll

automatically assume it will be another big willy movie.It might be, but you should always get a fair chance with a clean sheet.

I couldn't have said it better Ty... I thought I was going to have an Interscope vs. Lost and Found moment... I was well prepared for it. I was about to go on a rant, but you said everything I would have said... Thanks...

This movie will be liked by audiences and be "so-so" with critcs. I had feeling that was coming, but who cares about critics, really.

Critics are cynical, like stated in a previous post. They don't like uplifting emotional moments in a straightforward manner, they feel like it's being manipulative. Feel good movies usually get roasted by critcs for sappyness and forced emotions from their audience. But critcs go in with these preconcieved notions to look out for these things.

It probably doesn't have a shot at best picture, but Will still stands a got shot at a best actor nomination. But the reviews from jaded critics will be too harsh for anything more. In the end, take the millions who will like the film when they see it in the theaters, instead of reviews and awards. That's what Will does...

i think this film will do really well (touch wood). For me if the critics like a film it means its really boring. Critics havnt really liked any of Wills films and the majority have been very successful. I think the problem is, they are a bunch of geeks that watch films pick out every tiny fault, they probably dont believe in thier own pursuit of happyness bcoz they are too busy being negative.

i think it will be a hit mainly with women, we like soppy things plus they will all be drawn to the fact its Will and his real life son. i wonder how many of these reviews were by women?

btw im so confused of how to spell happiness correctly now.

THIS IS THE DUMBEST ARGUMENT EVER......he just never played a role in a movie where his relationship was a focal point...Independence day...married a black girl....MIB fell for the whit nurse in the mourge.....HITCH is all about him fallin for a white gurl.....This is a dumb argument both sides are beig ignorant....its a movie just because he didn't marry a black gurl...doesn;'t mean its racist lol...besides will likes ashwiria rai the indian actor... lol

• Admin

ID4 and MIB are review proof.. if you are doing a serious dramatic movie and the reviews are poor you are in trouble.. I'd say it now has no chance of getting a best picture nod at the oscars..and it may have weak legs..depending on how the audience responds... Critics cant hate a movie and audiences love it.. but a movie like Pursuit good reviews can really help.

I was nervous about it getting bad reviews cause a dramatic movie is like you all are saying very depended in good reviews. It can still get good first weekend ratings, but like Hero1 says... weak legs.

But the reviews can still be good, It's a couple of days left and we'll see by then how it looks.

One thing that I'm nervous about is the movie being to melodramatic and too sentimental. I think dramas that are over the top with tears are a bit played out, especially if they are predictable and made in a way that's not groundbreaking.

screw the critics, it may affect overall numbers but its not like Wills gonna give up cos he didn't get an oscar nod this time. Im gonna go watch this film with an open mind, i've studied film long enough to take this for what it is.

• Admin

more bad reviews..

The real-life source material must have been more interesting and poignant than this screen version, which exhibits the worst attributes of middlebrow cinema: It's earnest, solemn, predictable, inspirational--and dull.

As directed by the Italian filmmaker Gabriele Muccino (who did a better job with "The Last Kiss," later remade into an American picture), "Pursuit of Happyness" embodies Smith's ideology in being sentimental (rather than emotional), positive (rather than realistic), posh and elegant (rather than gritty and down and dirty), and ultimately boring (rather than poignant).

http://emanuellevy.com/article.php?articleID=3933

"Pursuit of Happyness" embodies Smith's ideology in being sentimental (rather than emotional), positive (rather than realistic), posh and elegant (rather than gritty and down and dirty), and ultimately boring (rather than poignant).

That seems overtly biased. How does the person reviewing the movie know that it's Will Smith's ideology and does he know this is based on a real story, and therefore, by definition, realistic? Being realistic and being positive aren't mutually exclusive. That's the nature of Chris Gardner's story and to tell it any other way would be to change the story.

why all of a sudden are the reviews bad? The first reviews, are they just by people who got to see the movie and arnt profesional critics? Are these new, bad reviews done by the profesionals. If thats the case then the real people liked it (people that buy movie tickets), its only these weirdos that dont.