JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

"Pursuit of Happyness"

bigwillfan

1. I dont know why people watch Hollywood movies. You tell me.

2. Because people are stupid. That movie sucks.

3. See #1.

4. LOTR & Matrix is, at least. Havent seen the others.

5. Thats not the only reason why Pursuit of Happyness will suck. It will be a sweet morale cake thing, and I dont like that. "You gotta fight for your dreams, the future is ahead of you", "other bull**** that people has said 2000000 times" and so on. Its gonna be that kind of movie.

6. Action movies suck, except Die Hard 3 that shows a lot of the mid-ninties. Its also quite unpredictable.

7. Comedies are boring.

8. Sure is fun to learn something from a movie. I seriously doubt that this will make me any smarter though.

crying_baby.jpg

Crybaby...

Edited by MaxFly

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanx for the trailer Radewart! I like the original trailer more but it's allways fun to see some new clips from the movie!

It's not just the International trailer it's the UK one :pony:

can ask i ask lerk, do u actually like any movies at all?

I doubt it... but another question... lerk, what's your favorite movie if you have one?

Pulp Fiction. But I generally prefer bad movies, really bad movies.

Edited by Lerkot

thnx radewart, i was waiting for that...kinda saw it coming lol

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

canandian version of the "Pursuit" site, a little different from the official one, i'm sure they'll both get better as we get closer to the movie releasing

http://www.sonypictures.ca/english/movies/...t_of_happyness/

Edited by MissAshley

^ I doubt it, i'm sure we would've haer something by now, but judging from the trailer this film seems to have a good soundtrack/score...anywho:

Best-pic buzz builds for 'Happyness'

It seems hard to believe the growing buzz for "The Pursuit of Happyness" as a serious best-picture contender since it looks like such a commercial, feel-good film. But — egads — it may be real. Rebounding from the crushing disappointment and embarrassment it suffered over "All the King's Men," Sony is suddenly bursting with, well, happyness over the enthusiasm its execs and Oscar warriors witness for the Will Smith-and-son charmer at early screenings.

In it, Will permits himself to get all emotionally vulnerable and tender starring opposite his real-life son Jaden Smith as a down-and-out dad who suddenly must become upstanding when he's left with the solo responsibility of rearing the boy. Will struggles hard to maintain his dignity on screen as the chaps get evicted from apartment and hotels and end up sleeping in homeless shelters and on a men's room floor while dad pursues the seemingly impossible dream of becoming a stock broker.

"Happyness" is unabashedly schmaltzy. It's written by the guy who penned Nic Cage's all-wet "Weather Man" and directed by an obscure Italian (Gabriele Muccino). Can it really be taken seriously as the kind of high-minded art Oscar voters usually demand?

Yes, perhaps. Oscar voters do make exceptions for inspiring films about real people who transcend hardship or illness. This one is based upon the life of Chris Gardner, who started out in San Francisco as a homeless dad who became a millionaire stock trader after heeding advice from his world-weary momma who once told him, "You can only depend on yourself. The cavalry ain't coming."

Previous best-pic nominees of the same triumph-over-tragedy ilk include "Awakenings," "My Left Foot," "Shine" and "Erin Brockovich" or winners like "A Beautiful Mind." Most of those are shamelessly schmaltzy, too. Yeah, yeah, sure, macho academy members and film critics usually eschew sap with an angry spitting sound, but, come on, they get all gooey-faced and savor same when it comes from a macho Hollywood dude they admire like Clint Eastwood ("Million Dollar Baby").

Bestpics

That's Will Smith, too, and he's likely going to have an academy member supporting him who turned out to be a key player in last year's Oscars — Oprah Winfrey, who helped to fuel the "Crash" juggernaut. There's nothing Oprah likes more than inspiring, rise-from-the-depths stories of human heroics, so I predict (this is obvious) she'll crank up ballyhoo over this pic aboug a fellow Chicago resident. (That's where Gardner lives now.)

Expect lots of other big media attention, too, because it's tailor-made for mass coverage and wrapped in warm fuzzies.

Gardner's story was first discovered by the media in 2002 when a San Francisco TV station shot a segment about him doing volunteer work at Glide Memorial Church where he formerly came for free food. ABC's "20/20" got wind of it and dug deeper, producing a segment on his whole rags-to-riches story, which was noticed by film-production company Escape Artists ("Weather Man," "Alex and Emma," "A Knight's Tale"), which showed it to Will Smith.

A topnotch, academy-friendly team was recruited to help execute the final film, which includes costume designer Sharen Davis (Oscar nominee, "Ray"), film editor Hughes Winborne (Oscar winner, "Crash") and sound mixer Kevin O'Connell (academy governor and Oscar's biggest loser with 18 past nominations, including "Memoirs of a Geisha" and "Terms of Endearment") and others.

Responses to early screenings of "Happyness" have not only been fantastic, but fanatic, which probably shouldn't come as a surprise. There's nothing academy members like more than a good cry, which begins on screen and ends up as tears of joy shed at a podium at the Kodak Theatre. Certainly, it looks like Will is a shoo-in for a best actor nom and it's starting to look likely that some of his crafts folks will pop up on the Oscar ballot again. With enough trans-academy support, "Pursuit" can dream of pursuing more lofty categories. And more than just striking it rich on Wall Street. There's nothing like striking academy gold, too.

Photos: "Pursuit of Happyness" is based upon the true story of Chris Gardner and son, who fled creditors and chased big dreams while sleeping on a bathroom floor at the MacArthur Rapid Transit station in San Francisco. Below is a roundup of best-pic nominees based upon real stories of human heroics (clockwise from top left: "My Left Foot," "Ray," "Erin Brockovich," "The Killing Fields," "A Beautiful Mind," "Awakenings."

(Sony)

source via google: http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_goldde...ars_174912.html

• Admin

haha this is one of the more cynical attempts at an oscar I've seen. Will and his partner JL Lassiter, studied who won oscars, realized most won for playing real life people, in heartwarming stories, and set out to win an oscar for themselves.. :paperbag:

haha this is one of the more cynical attempts at an oscar I've seen. Will and his partner JL Lassiter, studied who won oscars, realized most won for playing real life people, in heartwarming stories, and set out to win an oscar for themselves.. :paperbag:

Like a science...

Like a science...

I think you guys are the ones being cynical...there's nothing wrong with heartwarming stories. Sometimes in life heartwarming stuff does happen like the life of Chris Gardner.