JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

"Pursuit of Happyness"

bigwillfan

Cool. Looks like Will and Jaden are getting some good reviews so far. Thx 4 links

Edited by Angel Amor

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanx for posting this man!!! Pretty good review. I deffenitley have to see this movie. I van hardly wait!!!! :2thumbs:

Uh, Ashley is a gurl.... :lolsign:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

*some Chris Gardner news*

AROUND THE REGION

LEXINGTON

Wall Street CEO will tell his story of rags to riches

Christopher Gardner, a former homeless resident of a bus station restroom who turned into a Wall Street CEO and multimillionaire, will be the keynote speaker at the fourth Lexington Bluegrass Area Minority Business Expo, to be held Aug. 2-3 at the Lexington Convention Center. The event highlights Central Kentucky's minority-owned businesses.

Gardner, who now lives in Chicago, is author of The Pursuit of Happyness, scheduled to be published in June. A movie based on the book will be released in December, starring Will Smith. Gardner is scheduled to be featured May 26 on ABC's 20/20.

Gardner will speak at 12:30 p.m. Aug. 3 and autograph his book at the trade show, which will feature products and services offered by area minority-owned businesses.

Call (859) 258-3155 or visit www.lfucg.com. General registration is $35 a person. The charge for exhibitors is $150 for small businesses and $400 for corporations

source via google:http://www.kentucky.com/mld/heraldleader/living/community/14526611.htm

*don't know if they'll talk about the film but I'm gonna try to tune in

• Members

*some Chris Gardner news*

AROUND THE REGION

LEXINGTON

Wall Street CEO will tell his story of rags to riches

Christopher Gardner, a former homeless resident of a bus station restroom who turned into a Wall Street CEO and multimillionaire, will be the keynote speaker at the fourth Lexington Bluegrass Area Minority Business Expo, to be held Aug. 2-3 at the Lexington Convention Center. The event highlights Central Kentucky's minority-owned businesses.

Gardner, who now lives in Chicago, is author of The Pursuit of Happyness, scheduled to be published in June. A movie based on the book will be released in December, starring Will Smith. Gardner is scheduled to be featured May 26 on ABC's 20/20.

Gardner will speak at 12:30 p.m. Aug. 3 and autograph his book at the trade show, which will feature products and services offered by area minority-owned businesses.

Call (859) 258-3155 or visit www.lfucg.com. General registration is $35 a person. The charge for exhibitors is $150 for small businesses and $400 for corporations

source via google:http://www.kentucky.com/mld/heraldleader/living/community/14526611.htm

*don't know if they'll talk about the film but I'm gonna try to tune in

Thatz kewl! thx Ash :yeah:

• 2 weeks later...

another Chris Gardner article:

Whether in riches or rags, happiness matters

Updated 5/22/2006 1:02 AM ET

By Rodney A. Brooks, USA TODAY

Soul singer James Brown used to tell his own Horatio Alger story. As a kid, he shined shoes in front of a radio station in Augusta, Ga. When he made it big, he bought the station.

Chris Gardner's story might be even better.

He once was homeless and slept in a men's room stall at a San Francisco transit station with his toddler son. Today, he can say his company has managed multimillion-dollar bond issues for the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) system. "I was the only one standing before the BART board and saying, I know this system better than Merrill Lynch or Goldman Sachs. I used to live on it," Gardner says in an interview.

Gardner, 52, is founder and CEO of Gardner Rich & Co., which is based in Chicago and has offices in New York and San Francisco. Through an incredible set of circumstances, he also was once on the streets.

How he ended up there, survived that year and went on to become a millionaire stockbroker, dealmaker and speaker is the tale in his autobiography, The Pursuit of Happyness, on sale Tuesday.

The gripping story (written with Quincy Troupe) already has been turned into a movie — starring Will Smith as Gardner and Smith's son as Gardner's son — due out in December.

Gardner says that his decision to write the book turned out to be a lot easier than writing it.

"If anybody asks you to do one of these things," Gardner says, "the answer is no. You have to go back to places and things that you want to forget. You take the lid off one box, and you see it's connected to another box."

But now that it's done, he's happy. "It's not just my story," he says. "It's the story of a lot of people who grew up and took a lot of crap — and decided, 'I'm going the other way.' Those are the folks who encouraged me to do the book."

His story starts in Milwaukee, where he and his older sister lived with a succession of relatives and foster parents. Along the way, he endured a physically and psychologically abusive stepfather — to the point where a young Gardner plotted to kill him — and a mother who was loving but absent because of several periods in prison.

Gardner escaped the mean streets of Milwaukee by joining the Navy. He wound up in San Francisco in the early 1980s with plans to be a doctor, a wife about to start a career as a dentist and a new son.

But then his marriage collapsed and he ended up in jail for running up $1,200 in parking tickets he couldn't pay. Life looked up, briefly, when he was released and accepted into a stockbroker-training program at Dean Witter. But it fell apart again when his wife delivered their son to him at his rooming house — where kids weren't allowed. He couldn't get an apartment on his trainee stipend, which left them homeless.

For a year he pushed his boy around in a rickety stroller that also contained their worldly goods. Sometimes they got into shelters. At other times, they ended up in the men's room of the BART station or in a park.

"Look at kids today," he says. "I saw somebody with a stroller you have to put air in the tires. They look like little baby SUVs."

One of the most touching moments in the book is when Gardner finally puts together some money and finds an apartment he can afford in Oakland. As they headed out after the first night in their new home, his son, Chris Jr., became very concerned that they'd left behind the duffle bag with all their belongings.

"He had been seeing me carry everything we own for a year," Gardner says. "Then you get to explain to your kid we don't have to carry everything anymore. We have a key. We have a home. That was one of those feelings."

That's when things started to turn around. He became a top producer at Dean Witter in San Francisco, then New York. In 1987, he left to found Gardner Rich.

When Gardner heard Smith would play him in the movie, he was unsure about the casting.

"I love all his movies," he says. "But when I first heard it, I said, 'Will Smith ... hmm.' "

But sometimes our children put things into perspective. Gardner now has a daughter Jacintha, 20. He says she told him: "Pop, don't worry about it. If he can play Muhammad Ali, he can play you."

Gardner has this advice for young people:

"One of the things young people always ask me about is what is the secret to success," he says. "The secret is there is no secret. It's the basics. Blocking and tackling. And more important than that, find something that you love. Something that gets you so excited you can't wait to get out of bed in the morning. Forget about money. Be happy. That takes a certain amount of boldness to say, 'This is what I like.'

"The money thing will come," he says. "I know so many people who have so much more money than I. They are miserable. It is so important to be happy."

source via google: http://www.usatoday.com/money/books/2006-0...dner-book_x.htm

def. gonna try to get the book before the movie comes out