JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

album sales strategies

I was wondering today about the Party Starter video and the fact that it is the new single and tell my why will come out soon etc. etc.

I was wondering how did the record company do Big Willie style?? because if that can sell 9 million with whatever strategy they used in '97 they should use it agian today.

Not that easy.

First off: Albums don't sell so much anymore causeo downloading.

Second: The public interest in will is fading, that's natural.

Thirds: The label and Interscope don't got that kind of money or will to do that kind of promotion, everything costs and everythings a business.

Fourth: Will isn't doing this album in collabo with a movie like willenium, Big willie style or Born to reign. This is his first "solo" album if u get what I mean.

:yeahthat: Frenetic hit it on the nail there but "Big Willie Style" also had a big time gap between singles, "Men In Black" came out in the summer of '97, "Gettin' Jiggy Wit It" came out in the winter of '97, "Just The Two Of Us" came out in the summer of '98, and "Miami" came out in the winter of '98 but that was before the downloading era, if this album was released 8 years ago it'd be double platinum by now here in the US, nobody really sells that much now, back then you had 2Pac, Biggie, and Will sellin' close to 10 million, Fugees sold around 7 million, and a bunch of other multi-platinum albums, this year the highest selling album is 50 Cent's at 4 million, I don't count Eminem's album since it came out last year, but that'd be only the 5th highest album back in '96, '97, or '98, right now everything other than G Unit and Eminem is gold or worse.

Edited by bigted

With downloading, albums just don't sell as much today as they used too, it is a sad truth in the music industry today.

Music piracy is definitely the reason for the decline in sales. The longer people wait to buy an album is the more likely they will be to just download the tracks, and as a result, not buy the album. For example, lets say I was a casual listener who heard Switch, but wasn't really feeling it, and then heard someone saying how hot Lost and Found was, I'm not going to go out and spend money to see if Lost and Found is hot. It's likely I would just download it to see how good the album is. So I download it, and it's a good album... now aside from integrity, what's the incentive for me to go out and buy the album now. I have all the music already and I have the technology to put it on a CD or another portable medium...

I think this is what people forget when they say that letting sales decline is no big thing because a good single can bring sales back up again... In today's world, it doesn't necessarily work that way. After 5, 6, 7 months of an album being out, if a person doesn't already have it, it's unlikely that a casual or evern regular hip hop fan is going to go buy the CD, especially if it's easily available for free.

that is too true, when big willie style was released, it didnt go platinum for a while, the sales were slow to begin with and then it began to pick up and a year after it was released, it became multi platinum, i hope that happens with Lost and Found...

Edited by shuga

• Members

Maxfly posted:

Music piracy is definitely the reason for the decline in sales. The longer people wait to buy an album is the more likely they will be to just download the tracks, and as a result, not buy the album.

I highly doubt music piracy is the reason for sales decline atleast in case of Will. All the big mp3 sites which posts the albums getting leaked immediately, didn't even bother to post Lost and Found even after a whole week of it's official release.

Finally, only a few sites put them up and that too in ogg format. The rap forums which leaks out albums of 50 Cent, Eminem, etc. didn't put Lost and Found for atleast a month after it's official release date. Even Switch was available only in very very few places when it got released. So people just aren't interested in a rapper who doesn't cuss.

Maxfly posted:

Music piracy is definitely the reason for the decline in sales. The longer people wait to buy an album is the more likely they will be to just download the tracks, and as a result, not buy the album.

I highly doubt music piracy is the reason for sales decline atleast in case of Will. All the big mp3 sites which posts the albums getting leaked immediately, didn't even bother to post Lost and Found even after a whole week of it's official release.

Finally, only a few sites put them up and that too in ogg format. The rap forums which leaks out albums of 50 Cent, Eminem, etc. didn't put Lost and Found for atleast a month after it's official release date. Even Switch was available only in very very few places when it got released. So people just aren't interested in a rapper who doesn't cuss.

Well I think the big mp3 sites is the reason for about 5% of the music downloading, so that doesnt really care. And its a lie that people aint interested in a rapper who doesnt cuss; stupid dumbass children and high members of "Flying Death Motorcycle Club" cares, but I doubt we should call em people. Well anyway, no Jeff, no sales.

Edited by Lerkot

Maxfly posted:

Nope... you're wrong. When the album leaked the week before release it was hot as a mufu**** . Everybody was hyped about downloading it, It was chaos at this board, on the IC and Sohh aswell as the boards putting up leaked info. So it was def more hot than common or bow wow leaking.

But it's just an easy getaway blaiming it only on piracy. Cause Will isn't so hyped anymore either. He choose the wrong first single (yes, partystarter would've been the perfect first single, i really don't see switch's function) even though switch had sucess i think PS would've brought more people to buying the album.

He isn't a big priority at Interscope cuz, he ain't that big anymore. It's pretty easy actually, will isn't a huge musicstar anymore. he did too much movies and put the rappingcareer for too much hold.

Yeah Will's too old to do that well commercially in most peoples eyes, which is sad but true, but you could say that he's had a lot of success with this album going gold, the only ol' school mc that could do that is LL Cool J, I mean if you look at all the other ol' school mc's albums that came out recently, it hasn't been that good, Queen Latifah's last hip-hop album in '98 only sold 90,000, Rakim's "The Master" flopped terribly in '99, KRS-ONE's last 5 albums haven't sold 500,000 combined, De La Soul's "The Grind Date" didn't do well either, Public Enemy's album next month is also destined to flop, the only ol' school mc that could go platinum is Dr. Dre 'cause he's gangsta enough for a 13-year old to wanna listen to.

Edited by bigted

Frenetics right Lost and Found was everywhere before its release  :word:

:word: i remember that. people who weren't on this board during the release of L&F might not be aware of the leaking that was going on back then and the controversy and chaos that was surrounding the board.