JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Should Will dumb the rhyme a little?

I would much rather Will...  

58 members have voted

1. 1. I would much rather Will...

• Give us food for thought (keep it serious, tell us what u think)
    • Dumb the rhyme a little (fun rap dude)

Let me put it this way...so as 2 not confuse anyone. I think it's imporant 2 do a party track here and there. I also want the comedy 2 stay in his music...that's what made me a HUGE fan in the 1st place. The serious stuff is also important tho.' I really don't care for songs like "Freakin' It" at all. But stuff like "Switch" and "If U Can't Dance (Slide)" are dope. I never want him 2 stop making trax like that. But i do want a consistent flow of trax like The Rain as well.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he shud do what he wants. Which i think is a little of both. I love both kinds of his raps, He makes good party tunes and thought provoking material too.

this is a really hard question to answer, because it's his natural ability to be diverse which i love. I know that without him doing party tracks i probably wouldn't have become a fan in the 90s. I just used to love his (and Jeff's) carefree attitude; like they're just two guys you could meet down the street. But i love the music he's making now because we're all getting a deeper insight into the man that we've idolised for years, which in a sense gives us a wider understanding of him.

I know for sure that i couldn't listen to a whole album of Gettin Jiggy Wit Its or a whole album of Tell Me Whys, as long as he keeps his diversity i'm happy. Whether that means rapping about taking his Mum and Dad's brand new Porsche for a spin and winding up getting McDonalds with a 12 year old runaway, or the state of todays world and questions to God about why bombs are getting the last word and why Nelson Mandela had to live in a cage....if he keeps his diversity, he'll keep me as a fan.

Edited by FreshPrincess

His rhymes need to be diverse, to be a great MC, you can't just be one or the other, you have to do it all, which Will has done.

I'll break my opinion down like this: Personally, I'd like to see a healthy mix of both the lighter, fun side of Will :woot: and the more serious, contemplative side of Will :smart: but mostly, I just want quality, on whatever side of the spectrum he decides to make a track. And in my opinion, FP has done a pretty good job at achieving that blend (for the most part, at least).

Couple other random thoughts I have in regards to the theme of this thread (or loosely connected to it, anyways)...

1. Non-serious tracks aren't inherantly dumb. I love songs like "Ya'll Know," "Brand New Funk," "The Reverand," "The Twilight Zone," and "Will 2k," and I will fight anyone who calls them dumb to the death. :wtf: They're not supposed to be insightful, they just are what they are.

2. I never liked when Will tried to make songs that were like stand-up comedy acts in rhyme. :thumbsdown: That's one type of mode I'd never like Will to drift back into. There are some tracks where Will just tried too hard to be the clown prince of rap, in my opinion (most of them are on "In This Corner..."). I always thought Will was funny, but I found that more in his subtler tracks, ones that weren't just outrageous for outrageousness sake, like "Parents..." and "One of Those Days."

Ok, I'm done now, I think. :wave:

"The Twilight Zone,"

Whoa, The Twilight Zone? What's this track? Or are you referring to "Then She Bit Me" ?

yeah... DUMB scy! he mispelled a lot of songs he mentioned.... In This Corner should be And In This Corner..... One of those Days should be Just One of those Days. some1 hasn't been listening 2 their share of JJFP cd's lately :shakehead: :mad: :wtf: :dontdothat:

I like some fun party tracks, but altho now, I prefer his more serious side, I can't see Will choosing one or the other. I guess its all abt how he's feeling when he's in the studio...

peace,

cookie

• Members

FreshPrincess posted:

I know for sure that i couldn't listen to a whole album of Gettin Jiggy Wit Its

I could for sure listen to a whole album of Gettin Jiggy Wit Its. That's why I still LOVE Homebase and have been listening to it for so many many many years without getting bored of it even once. :1-say-yes:

"The Twilight Zone,"

Whoa, The Twilight Zone? What's this track? Or are you referring to "Then She Bit Me" ?

yeah... DUMB scy! he mispelled a lot of songs he mentioned.... In This Corner should be And In This Corner..... One of those Days should be Just One of those Days. some1 hasn't been listening 2 their share of JJFP cd's lately :shakehead: :mad: :wtf: :dontdothat:

Oh boy! Here come Schnazz & Wes, the insignificant details police! :wiggle: My bad(s) lol

Edited by scyhigh99

Like y'all say FP's not a one-dimensional mc, he could make great songs about any topic it seems, whether it's serious or fun, and that's what seperates him from other mcs, that's why ol' school and new school mcs respect him and he also reaches people who normally don't listen to hip-hop, only great mcs could do that, his music has that universal appeal, he brings something for everyone to enjoy, not many do that as effective as he does, as long as he keeps doing his thing, I'll be happy with that.

Edited by bigted