JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Future Legends

Mike

I always think about this, who do you think will be the future legends of the rap game will be? Legends now are people like Slick Rick, Tupac, Notorious B.I.G, Eric B. and Rakim. So who do you think will be the legends of the future?

in my opinion id have to say that jay-z, and eminem will definalty be legends of the future. snoop and dre too, thats if they arent already.

(500th Post :Party_fest09:)

Edited by WILL IS ILL

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its hard to say they are so many great rappers from the 90' by now,but from the really new talents (i mean like 2 years or smething) i will add Kanye ,Estelle ,the game,Fabolous,The Streets,Dezze Rascal,Akon, Ciara and N.E.R.D i think these will be the new twinkle twinkle little stars :1-say-yes: not so good but....

Eminem a legend? :haha: His career is based on nothing but gimmicks, just 2 solid albums, he fell off badly after "Marshall Mathers LP", he never did anything so ground breaking, he bit his lyrical style off of ol' school rappers and he wasn't the 1st white rapper, Beastie Boys were the 1st white rappers, not him. Jay-Z did a lot of biting too in his career but he has respect for the history of hip-hop so he could qualify as a legend since he has one more classic album than most rappers do, he's benefitting from a lot of wack mcs out now and hip-hop being more commercial than it was when JJFP came out. Fugees, Naughty By Nature, and Outkast'll be known as a legendary hip-hop groups, they've set the standard in the last 10 years. Common, DMX, and Nas are the best mcs in the last 10 years of consistancy so they'll be legends. Kanye West only has one album so far that was overrated and if his new one is as weak as "Diamonds...", he won't ever be a legend either. Bow Wow has potential to be a legend more than any of these young mcs out now, he's a positive mc that's coming of age, it's gonna be interesting to hear what he has to say on his next upcoming albums, he could be the future, he's mentored by JD who's gonna be known as another legend from this era. I think a lot of unknown mcs that are on the underground scene will be known as legends one day, especially the ones that are associated with legends like Kel Spencer who's down with FP, Paris who's down with Public Enemy, OC and Supastition that're down with KRS and Big Daddy Kane, since a lot of the commercial stuff now will be forgettable years ahead, "Country Grammar" and "Marshall Mathers LP" will be albums that'll fade from memory and albums like "'93 Til Infinity" will be known as classics from this era, looking back many decades from now.

Edited by bigted

• Members

The Game and 50 Cent. Absolutely!!!!

Now people, don't come out saying how wrong I am here because this is solely my opinion and liking. :hmm:

And Will is Ill, I'm sure by this time Snoop Dogg and Dre are pretty much legends of hip-hop. :1-say-yes:

Snoop is a Legend allready..And Dre to!

I don`t think 50 will become one because i don`t thikn he is gonna be here long enough..

Game..I don`t know..I`m not so shure..If he keeps it real with Snoop maybe!

And what depens Eminem..He`s gonna be one for shure!

Ofcourse he dindn`t that much for Hip Hop like LL or Rakim but he`s one of the best seling astist ever and hs started a Movement aorun the world in the youth..

They`ll never forget him just like the didn`t forget Coolio!

Bow wow? please. No way. JD..no way.

Kanye will be, the first album was a classic, I don't have high hopes on his next album but i really believe it will be really good. He doesn't need to do classics in rows to be a legend.

Jigga did 3 classics with much time inbetween. He's def a legend.

Nas is also a legend cause of illmatic, but he really hope he does another good album.

Eminem will be a legend wether you like it or not. He's done alot of good songs, even though he's fallen off, he's done 3 very good albums, one okay album and one bad. That's a pretty aight achievement. Even on Encore he had good songs. Mosh, Toy Soldiers, Mockingbird. And if he won't be a legend in the mainstream he'll def be in battleworlds, known as one the best done it.

50 Cent got the potential, his first album was pretty good, Massacre is just the same, but worse, much worse. He needs to do something new and fresh til next album, if he doesn't, he wont' be a legend.

Dr Dre is already a legend, come on..NWA, The Chronic.. He's def a a legend.

Snoop needs to do a good album and then quit, cause if he does another wack ass album he'll be rememberd like the rapper who went out hard, cause he was never as big as Eminem.

The Game made a really good debut and he got the potential of being a legend, he needs to make good moves in the future and not open his mouth to much.

Bigted: I ain't gone debate on your opinions that are different from mine, so i'm gonna go with the things we have in common: Supastition will def be a legend in the future, maybe not mainstream, but underground. Really talented.

• Members

When Lil Bow Wow started out, he was amazing. He was literally a child prodigy and "Beware Of Dog" was an excellent effort by a little kid. "Bounce With me" was a great single and I really thought he was going to be the next big rapper. Also getting Snoop Dogg and Fred Durst appear in his video was pure genius.

But his next album "Doggy Bag" was a major disappointment. He totally lost his charm and magic and the production of the album was just average. Then he decided to drop "Lil" from his name, tried to act as an adult, got some tattoos, wanted to pretend he was a playboy, chnaged his method of rapping, and that's it, he messed up his image and ruined his own career. Now he's just like everybody else, boring. That's why I don't think he'd have a long running opportunity in the music industry to achieve the status of being called a legend.

Bow wow gets his rhymes written by T.I. He ain't done **** to deserved to be called a legend. Dre uses ghostwriters, but he has done much more in other ways.

It's debatable that Jay-Z made 3 classics, most people only say "Reasonable Doubt", the rest of them they think are good except for "Volume 3" and "Dynasty" those were wack, he started mad biting off of Biggie after he passed, it's cool to pay homage to your homie but leave it to a minimum, "Reasonable Doubt" was his most original work he's done, he ain't as consistant as Rakim, KRS, LL, FP, or Slick Rick, but he's been in the game for a decade so he musta done something right, "Illmatic" will be remembered more than "Reasonable Doubt" by most people too, all of Nas' albums have potential to be called classics especially "It Was Written" and "Stillmatic", except "Nastradomous" which had better songs than Volume 3 to me, so he's the best mc in the last decade, but again credit given to Jigga for still at least being out there, I ain't a big Jigga fan so I can't call him the greatest, I respect your opinion though. JD is a legendary producer and a big songwriter, he's worked with big names in all genres of music, he's like the new school version of Teddy Riley, Kanye West don't have s*** on either of them, he barely writes his own let alone other peoples and is just an above average producer. "Jesus Walks" is good but as legendary as "The Message"? Bow Wow is more developed at this point than Memphis Bleek or Fabolous are, Jigga should've signed him, lol, most kid rappers fade away by the time they grow up but it looks like Bow Wow will have longevity, he was a better mc at 13 than 50 Cent is now too, I can't be mad at him 'cause I didn't even make it yet and I'm 20! :wink:

Edited by bigted

It's debatable that Jay-Z made 3 classics, most people only say "Reasonable Doubt", the rest of them they think are good except for "Volume 3" and "Dynasty" those were wack, he started mad biting off of Biggie after he passed, it's cool to pay homage to your homie but leave it to a minimum, "Reasonable Doubt" was his most original work he's done, he ain't as consistant as Rakim, KRS, LL, FP, or Slick Rick, but he's been in the game for a decade so he musta done something right, "Illmatic" will be remembered more than "Reasonable Doubt" by most people too, all of Nas' albums have potential to be called classics especially "It Was Written" and "Stillmatic", except "Nastradomous" which had better songs than Volume 3 to me, so he's the best mc in the last decade, but again credit given to Jigga for still at least being out there, I ain't a big Jigga fan so I can't call him the greatest, I respect your opinion though.  JD is a legendary producer and a big songwriter, he's worked with big names in all genres of music, he's like the new school version of Teddy Riley, Kanye West don't have s*** on either of them, he barely writes his own let alone other peoples and is just an above average producer.  "Jesus Walks" is good but as legendary as "The Message"?  Bow Wow is more developed at this point than Memphis Bleek or Fabolous are, Jigga should've signed him, lol, most kid rappers fade away by the time they grow up but it looks like Bow Wow will have longevity, he was a better mc at 13 than 50 Cent is now too, I can't be mad at him 'cause I didn't even make it yet and I'm 20!  :wink:

And i respect your opinion about nas's work, let's just leave those discussions there =)

I would call JD an important figure, but I really don't know if he's a Legend. it takes much to get up there with public enemy, slick rick, rakim etc.

Kanye isn't a legend yet, but I think he has the potential of being one. His last album had an big impact and importance in the industry, and is debated to wether it is or not a classic. I say it is with the motivation that it's beats, lyrics, message is different than anything that was released major the last years. Alot of the songs had messages likes the one Common was bringing, Mos Def was, Dead prez was and Fugees was. And the last group getting huge succes was fugees. Kanye was able to do that again and if he didn't start a movement he re-opened, reinvented a movement, just like Africa Bambata, Public Enemy, NWA, Dr.Dre/Eazy-E did.

The Movement he opened yet again was the one PublicEnemy had brought to life with their political songs. Now I know kanye is far away from that kind of music, but he IS the first rapper after the Fugees to bring on some consciousness to the masses (i don't count mos def, talib and common, cause they don't appeal to the mass) and has made alot ot issues being heard yet again. And that's why I say: With another or two other good albums with him stayying true to what he is about, he will be a legend. Just like the Fugees.

Bow Wow isn't developed at all. I could have been talking of him as a legend or coming legend if he had written his own rhymes. But he doesn't. He rides on Jermaine and Snoop and gets som shine on dat. He doesn't start a movement, he doesn't do extraordinary songs, he doesn't do songs that change the game. He isn't anything..yet. And that new album is really, really wack.