JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

The New Will Smith?

The New Will Smith?

Monday - July 11, 2005

Verbal Walker

Nick Cannon has a hand in everything. From comedy to music and even movies, the squeaky clean Cannon may be heir to the throne Will Smith has created- but will he be as successful as his older, more seasoned counterpart?

First up, the 24-year-old is getting set to debut his new sketch-comedy show “Wild ‘N Out” on MTV. The show, set to debut July 28th, will feature a blend of rap and comedy performances.

"It's amazing. I just got all my comedic friends together, introduced them to my hip-hop friends, and we just created this big, huge improv sketch-comedy show that's unlike anything you've ever seen on television," Cannon told MTV. "Common came through. Kanye West, the Ying Yang Twins, Method Man, [Cannon's longtime girlfriend] Christina Milian. Comics like Kat Williams and Wayne Brady. It's just like a party in every episode."

Next is the completion of his 2nd album, Stages, which is scheduled to drop this fall. The first single “Can I Live” is already building up steam and the album will feature the likes of Kanye West and Talib Kweli.

As far as movies go, Cannon has five films on deck. Coming September 23rd is the roller-skating film “Roll Bounce.” He’s also doing a detective “Beverly Hills Cop”-ish film titled “The Underclassman” which drops August 5th. And he’ll also be seen in the gambling drama called “Even Money” which features a bevy of film talent including Forest Whitaker, Ray Liotta, Kelsey Grammer, Kim Basinger and Danny DeVito.

Watch out Will Smith, the kid is coming on strong!

source: Hiphopdx.com

So what do y'all think about this?

I for one think it's stupid comparing them...Will is so much better! He did more in his life then Cannon did, and just because he's doing it doesn't mean it will be succes! Will's sitcom and movies and albums have all been a succes!

So it's stupid comparing them!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone gets compared to someone else in their career. Its only cos he's a young black clean cut comedy/rap dude that he's being compared anyway. Its just the ways articles are written.

Yeah Kev is rite about that. Articles are just written that way. There are a few of them that don't compare but a lot of them do it.

Like remember we had an article posted here comparing WS's flow 2 Em's flow. And I remember reading sumthing in Teen Ppl magazine about young actors coming up in the world of entertainment. They talk about a guy name Arjay Smith(he came out in The Day After Tomorrow) and they 2 compared him to Will Smith.

Ain't nothing wrong with comparing them. It's a good thing that there are people out there that can be compared 2 FP...cuz i don't think i could stand another 50 Cent or Nelly.

And i like both Nick Cannon and Nitty. It's depressing that some people won't give them a chance simply becuz they don't cuss and talk about drugs, guns, and sex.

Ain't nothing wrong with comparing them.  It's a good thing that there are people out there that can be compared 2 FP...cuz i don't think i could stand another 50 Cent  or Nelly.

And i like both Nick Cannon and Nitty.  It's depressing that some people won't give them a chance simply becuz they don't cuss and talk about drugs, guns, and sex.

Well Nelly and Nitty are quit the same i think..And i like Both!

It`s a litle crazy to compare Nelly to 50 Cent :haha:

Truthfully, I don't think Nick Cannon is quite as multi-talented as Will, but he seems to be a good guy and does look up to Will, so I am happy to see him trying new things. I don't mind if he does well with his career, better him than someone like Mike Jones.

• Members

I don't think it's right to compare them because they are pretty different people... but I do agree that Nick Cannon is an amazing multi-talented person. Can't wait for those movies and the album! :2thumbs:

There's nothin' wrong with having somebody wanting to be the next Will Smith when there's a million people wanting to be the next 2Pac, it ain't happening though, there's only one Will Smith and 2Pac like there's only one Michael Jordan.

There's nothin' wrong with having somebody wanting to be the next Will Smith when there's a million people wanting to be the next 2Pac, it ain't happening though, there's only one Will Smith and 2Pac like there's only one Michael Jordan.

:word: I agree with you Ted! Nice said!

Nick will be nowhere near as successful as Will is. For one, Will is more accepted in the rap industry and movie industry. And sadly, there is a thing called looks which takes many people far. Nick Cannon does not have that appeal as far as I know.

Edited by *mimi*

When it comes 2 newz articles, they always compare a lesser-established artist 2 a well-known artist. It helps people associate a person they aren't familiar with somebody they probably do know about. However, when u are what's "hot"...u always get people compared 2 u.

Nick Cannon doesn't cuss in his music, some of his lyrics are funny, and he's a positive person. So naturally they are gonna compare him 2 Da 'Prince. Who else could they compare him 2? 50 Cent, Ja-Rule, Nelly...heck no! There are no other emcees like FP anymore. At least not on a mainstream front (other LL).