JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Nick Cannon Goes 'Wild' With Kanye, Common, etc...

bigted

Nick Cannon Goes 'Wild' With Kanye, Ying Yang Twins, Common

07.07.2005 8:34 PM EDT

New sketch-comedy show will also feature Method Man, Christina Milian.

HOLLYWOOD — Nick Cannon is no stranger to comedy. The aspiring funnyman first honed his stand-up skills at the age of 12 and four years later he was already landing gigs at famous venues like the Comedy Store, the Improv and the Laugh Factory.

Now the 24-year-old is revisiting his roots with his new sketch-comedy program, "Wild 'N Out," debuting July 28 on MTV. The show's roster is an eclectic blend of rap, hip-hop and comedy performers.

"It's amazing. I just got all my comedic friends together, introduced them to my hip-hop friends, and we just created this big, huge improv sketch-comedy show that's unlike anything you've ever seen on television," Cannon told MTV News backstage at the BET Awards. "Common came through. Kanye West, the Ying Yang Twins, Method Man, Christina Milian. Comics like Kat Williams and Wayne Brady. It's just like a party in every episode."

Ever the industry chameleon, the multi-tasking Cannon also has five films in the works (see "Nick Cannon Flexing His Mogul Muscle In Hollywood"), plus his sophomore LP, Stages, which drops this fall. The video for the album's first single, "Can I Live" featuring Anthony Hamilton, which Cannon directed, recently debuted at #1 on BET.

Longtime friend Kanye also worked on the new record, which will include a track featuring Talib Kweli.

"The record I did with Talib was real soulful stuff," Cannon said. "I was just trying to express myself more than anything and really get out what was inside of me. On my last album, I worked with R. Kelly and P. Diddy, and that was amazing, but I didn't feel like I really put myself out there. On this I feel like I and showed what I could do as a producer, as an artist and as a musician."

As for the slew of films in his arsenal, the actor is most looking forward to "The Underclassman," a Miramax project he stars in, wrote and produced. Out August 5, the film features Cannon as a baby-faced detective struggling to gain respect from his peers. When he is sent to investigate the murder of a posh private school student, he stumbles upon an underground auto-theft ring.

"It's like the new 'Beverly Hills Cop.' It's my baby," the actor said. "It really is like watching your kid go to school on the first day. You just hope for the best. But however it does at the box office, it doesn't matter. I'm proud of it, and how often can somebody say that a kid who's under 25 actually wrote, produced and starred in his own film? So that's an accomplishment in itself."

Next up, Cannon can be seen alongside Bow Wow in the '70s-inspired roller-skating flick, "Roll Bounce," dropping September 23. Currently, he's filming the political thriller "The Beltway," for which he's also executive producer.

Finally, the actor will play the brother to Forest Whitaker in the indie gambling drama "Even Money" (formerly titled "Jump Shot"), featuring Hollywood heavyweights Ray Liotta, Kelsey Grammer, Kim Basinger and Danny DeVito. The film, which incorporates multiple story lines à la "Crash" and "Traffic," is slated to hit theatres later this year.

THANX 4 POSTING THAT!! Man, i'm a big Nick Cannon fan. I loved his 1st album and try 2 support his films as best i can. I've seen commercials 4 his TV show and it looks hilarious. Totally my kinda stuff. His next album sounds amazing...i'll be all over that. I know there are some haters on this board....but man, Nick is doing BIG things y'all can't deny.

As a young, postive, comedy-loving person of the Hip-Hop nation, i support the kinda people i relate 2, which is while i'll support everything he dose.

Since there's a million commercial rappers trying to remake "The Chronic", I guess there's nothin' wrong if Nick Cannon tries to make an album like "Big Willie Style" or if Kanye West tries making an album like "Criminal Minded", they can't top the originals but at least I could give them props for not trying to sound gangsta like the rest of them commercial rappers.

"Get Crunk Shorty" waz released as a promo single!! But nobody supported it. I don't like 2 much of that dirty south stuff...but that track waz pretty good, even tho' i like pretty much every other song better than it. I think the video would have taken the album 2 higher sales.

Well the reason why his last album didn't sell was 'cause he released it a year after his 1st single, sorta the reason why Fat Joe ain't doing well either right now, he delayed his album a year too, that didn't make sense to me! He's gonna release his new album this fall, so hopefully he releases another single besides "Can I Live?" before then 'cause it seems like a lot of people are gaining interest in him from that single and if he keeps the momentum up with another single, he might have a chance to go platinum.

• 4 weeks later...

I missed this show just like I keep on missin' Bobby Brown's show unfortunately, I'll peep out for it this week, I wanna see TLC's show too, I keep on missing the good shows since there's only crap shows on when I'm home, I might have to start settin' my VCR, lol.

Edited by bigted

"Get Crunk Shorty" waz released as a promo single!!  But nobody supported it.  I don't like 2 much of that dirty south stuff...but that track waz pretty good, even tho' i like pretty much every other song better than it.  I think the video would have taken the album 2 higher sales.

Are you serious? It's an anthem! Wow I can't believe that. When was it released and was there even a video? I missed the first episode, when is the show airing? What day/time.

I don't know if there waz a video for "Get Crunk Shorty"...i just know i've seen promos 4 it. I think the song is kinda average tho'...i like most of the album better than that track. It waz released 2 or 3 months after "Gigilo."

Since the show airs on MTV, it probably airs almost once a day. Just check mtv.com. It's definitly worth checking out.

Be sure 2 catch the new episode. The beautiful Christina Milian is a guest on the show. Of course there's tons of battle of the sexes stuff going on since she's romantically tied 2 Nick. Common Sense dose his current single "Go!" at the end of the show. A new episode airs Thursday...so check the reruns b4 then.