JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Cruise, Lauer argue on 'Today'

MaxFly

Don't know if you guys have seen or heard about this.

Here's the text for you lazy people out there.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Let the cynics talk. Tom Cruise is in love -- and he just can't restrain himself.

"You know what? There's always cynics. There always has been. There always will be," said Cruise, who hasn't been shy about displaying his affection for "Batman Begins" actress Katie Holmes. "I have never worried ... about what other people think and what other people say."

Cruise, 42, and Holmes, 26, went public with their romance in April, smooching and posing for photographers in Rome. They recently became engaged.

Many have doubted the romance -- the words "publicity stunt" have rained down on the couple as Cruise has promoted his new film, "War of the Worlds," directed by Steven Spielberg, which opens on June 29.

"I have to tell you. It's just a great time in my life," Cruise said in an interview that aired Friday on NBC's "Today" show. "I'm really happy. And, you know, I'm engaged. I'm going to be married. I can't restrain myself."

The actor, whose marriages to Mimi Rogers and Nicole Kidman ended in divorce, declined to say what Holmes has brought to his life that wasn't there in the past.

"I don't want to compare things," Cruise said. "It's that thing where you just -- in life when it just happens. ... You meet someone. And it's -- I can't even describe it."

When asked if he could be with someone at this stage in his life who doesn't have an interest in the Church of Scientology -- Holmes has said she's embracing the religion -- Cruise told interviewer Matt Lauer: "Scientology is something that you don't understand. It's like you could be a Christian and be a Scientologist.

"It is a religion. Because it's dealing with the spirit. You as a spiritual being." When Lauer mentioned Cruise's earlier criticism of Brooke Shields for taking anti-depressants, Cruise told the "Today" show co-host he didn't know what he was talking about.

"You don't know the history of psychiatry. I do," Cruise said.

The interview became more heated when Lauer, who said he knew people who had been helped by the attention-deficit disorder drug Ritalin, asked Cruise about the effects of the drug.

"Matt, Matt, you don't even -- you're glib," Cruise responded. "You don't even know what Ritalin is. If you start talking about chemical imbalance, you have to evaluate and read the research papers on how they came up with these theories, Matt, OK. That's what I've done."

Tom seems a bit arrogant in this interview.

Arrogant is an understatement. :lolsign: I just read the whole transcript - for whatever reason lol - and I found that I'm not even sure if I agree/disagree with the Scientology viewpoint on psychotic drugs. I did, however, come away with the impression that any "religion" or philosophy would be unfortunate to have Cruise as its spokesman.

Actual quote from the interview...

"Ok, Matt, Matt, Matt, Ok, listen, you don't understand, Matt. I am an expert on these things, Matt. I have read so much - do you know what reading is, Matt? I will now explain my stance in obscenely general terms. I will, Matt, I will provide no fact-basis that would ever serve as proof of my extensive research. I will also continue to badger you for your ignorance, Matt, in a condescending manner that will overshadow any legitimate points I might be making. By the way, Matt, I love Katie. Check out my movie!"

It's not the far off, anyways.

I don't really follow Ton Cruise...but some of my friends were talking about this other day. My friends said that Tom is loosing his mind and that is isn't nearly as likable as he used 2 be.

Tom Cruise seems like a pretty cool guy but come on now if the media is gonna get all up in your buisiness all the time, you won't say nothing back to them? I'd expect this from somebody like KRS-ONE, not somebody as media friendly like Tom Cruise. He obviously has been listening to much rap lately! :lolsign:

Tom Cruise seems like a pretty cool guy but come on now if the media is gonna get all up in your buisiness all the time, you won't say nothing back to them? I'd expect this from somebody like KRS-ONE, not somebody as media friendly like Tom Cruise. He obviously has been listening to much rap lately!  :lolsign:

This had absolutely nothing to do with anything Tom Cruise has going on with Katie Holmes. Matt Lauer asked about Cruise's negative statements about Brooke Shields' use of anti-depressants or some such medication and Tom went off. What's funny is that he makes a good point close to the very end of the interview, but negates it with his dogmatic attitude. You find yourself listening to how he is saying things more than what he's saying, so the one good point he makes is lost in the sea of harsh tones and arrogant statements. He goes as far as calling Matt Lauer glib, and I found that utterly disrespectful.

As an aside, Tom Cruise evidentally knows a lot less about mental health issues than he purports to know.

Tom's been disappointing me with his weird behavior lately. I know he's passionate about his religion, but he has to be able to look at different views. I understand what he's saying about the harmful effects of drgus, but drugs have also given people their lives back. What about drugs to fight HIV or diabetes? Drugs can be good and bad, but Tom doesn't want to hear that I guess. I wonder if his behavior will hurt his new movie. If so, ya'll know Will is gonna take over as the biggest movie star... haha

Tom Cruise has the right to express his opinion however he wants as long as he doesn't physically hurt anybody, so if people don't go to see his movie just 'cause he likes a different religion or has a different opinion on drugs than they do, I find them narrow minded, this is America where people could say whatever they want to, maybe Lauer said something Cruise didn't like so Cruise got pissed, so what? He's human and I might not agree with him but I'm not gonna hold a grudge 'cause of his opinion.

Tom Cruise has the right to express his opinion however he wants as long as he doesn't physically hurt anybody, so if people don't go to see his movie just 'cause he likes a different religion or has a different opinion on drugs than they do, I find them narrow minded, this is America where people could say whatever they want to, maybe Lauer said something Cruise didn't like so Cruise got pissed, so what? He's human and I might not agree with him but I'm not gonna hold a grudge 'cause of his opinion.

Who's talking about Tom Cruise's movie? I'm going to go see War of the Worlds because it looks like it will be an incredible movie, but this has nothing to do with Cruise's movie nor does it have anything to do with Katie Holmes. Again, this has everything to do with the arrogant way in which he behaved in that interview. The War of the Worlds portion was fine, the Katie Holmes question was fine. What wasn't fine was the haughty attitude he put forth, not just talking about the issue, but the attitude he took with Matt Lauer. That's what's really disturbing. Matt, Matt, Matt... No Matt. You're glib Matt. You don't know the history of psychiatry Matt. I do, you don't Matt. Matt, you think you do, but you don't. You can watch most of the interview on the video link on the page I linked to. Matt Lauer said nothing to elicit such a response from Tom. He didn't attack his beliefs, didn't put him down in any way. Watch the interview and judge.

Tom is a good actor but he irritates me when he talks about his sect (in France the church of scientology is considered like a sect, not a religion ). And I remember him answering to a journalist who told him "what do you say to people who think you are in a sect?"... "They can't understand..." with a earnest air... The fact is the celebs who are in sects are not mistreated by these sects. Of course, because it's a great advertisement hoarding for them. They only know a cool, brighten side... But I guess that the "normal" people are just indoctrinated and swindled... So Tom all in all you are right : for my part, I can't understand you're so naive !!!