JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will's perspective on Gangsta Rap

Okay, I'm a little puzzled. I could've sworn I read in one of the JJFP interviews from '93 and one of the questions asked Will what he was bumpin and it was "The Chronic". He said it was the hottest thing out there.

Now we know Will has gone on to say that gangsta rap was wack but yet he supports Public Enemy and NWA but hates west coast gangsta rap of the 90's?

I don't believe that Will has so much of a problem with gangsta rap, but has a problem with the message that most gangsta rap today is portraying. I can't tell you whether or not he said that or not, but the way I view Will's stance is that a lot of rappers just talk about guns, killing, sex, etc with no real purpose or positive message to convey. That is my opinion on the subject.

• Admin

Will likes some gangsta rap albums..what hes after is a large view of things..a variety on the albums.. if all it is abt guns n violence im sure Will aint feelin it.. hes talked about the qualities of NWA 2pac and Biggie..

i think Will likes original gangsta rap like The Chronic and NWA. i wouldn't consider Public Enemy gangsta rap, they're hiphop. NWA was some of the first gangsta rap but it was a lil different than gangsta rap 2day. it was groundbreaking and revolutionary. i think Will likes gangsta rap that 2Pac/Dre/Snoop came out with but not the gangsta crap that every1 else tried 2 immitate after that era.

I don't think he's contradicting anything. U gotta realize that different kinds of music get tossed in2 that "gangsta rap" territory. "The Chronic" is gangsta rap at it's best. But it's also a legit Hip-Hop album. People also toss 50 Cent in2 that gangsta rap category...but we all know it's light weight, phoney music. N.W.A. waz groundbreaking. G-Unit is just trash. But many people put both groups under that gangsta rap banner.

Will likes sum gangsta rap. But all Will's problem is these guys running around wit guns n trying 2 be all gangsta. NWA album is best gangsta/hiphop. Cause it wasn't about big booty h**** n countin' money in fornt of the camras.

• Members

I don't believe that Will has so much of a problem with gangsta rap, but has a problem with the message that most gangsta rap today is portraying.  I can't tell you whether or not he said that or not, but the way I view Will's stance is that a lot of rappers just talk about guns, killing, sex, etc with no real purpose or positive message to convey.  That is my opinion on the subject.

I agree.