JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Eddie Murphy Set to Sing in 'Dreamgirls'

bigted

"Eddie Murphy Set to Sing in 'Dreamgirls'

NEW YORK - In the past, Eddie Murphy has been an actor and a singer. In a new musical, he'll get a chance to do both.

Murphy will join Jamie Foxx and Beyonce Knowles in the cast of the upcoming film "Dreamgirls," Dreamworks has announced. To be directed by Bill Condon, "Dreamgirls" is an adaptation of the Tony Award-winning musical that first ran on Broadway in the early 1980s.

The movie follows the rise of a trio of women who form a group called The Dreamettes in the 1960s. Murphy will play James "Thunder" Early, a singer for whom the Dreamettes sing back up before taking over the spotlight themselves.

Though Murphy is better known for movies like "Beverly Hills Cop," "The Nutty Professor" and the voice of Donkey in the "Shrek" films, he has released several albums of soul and pop music.

"Dreamgirls" is scheduled to begin production early next year."

Eddie Murphy's a great comedian, I don't know about being a great singer though! :lolsign: I'm gonna see it when it comes out though, it'll be interesting to see how Beyonce and Jamie Foxx does in there too.

Ha ha....one day i'll own Eddie's song "Party All The Time" w/ Rick James...ha ha!! On the real, i like that song Eddie did with MJ in 1992 or 1993 called "What's Up With You." Of course it wazn't really becuz of Eddie Murphy tho.'

U know, I watched "Coming To America" yesterday, and I caught the part where he is singing after his date wit Lisa McDowell.

"To be truly in love, what a feeling!"

And people outside are saying "Shut up!" Hilarious. The movie was '88 I believe. Perfect reason why Eddie shouldn't sing.

Edited by mfuqua23