JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Who Is Better?

Who is the better rapper, Will Smith or LL Cool J?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the better rapper, Will Smith or LL Cool J?

• Will Smith
    • LL Cool J
    • Equal

They are both great, but Will has addressed more issues in his rhymes, plus he has 4 Grammys, including the first for rap, against 0 for LL. That is why I pick Will.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, it would be good to see them on a track together, but i guess i cant get an honest opinion on this board, anyways

They are both great, but Will has addressed more issues in his rhymes, plus he has 4 Grammys, including the first for rap, against 0 for LL.  That is why I pick Will.

LL won 2 Grammy's if I'm not mistaken, he won a Grammy for the "Mama Said Knock You Out" and he won a Grammy with Boyz II Men "Hey Lover", I can't decide really, they're both my favorites, and they're the only ol' school mcs still selling albums, they should do a song/album/movie together one day.

LL is better i think!

He is a litlebit better in raping and his lirycs are also better ...

And he tryd more difrent things and styesl in his career!

But Will s great to ofcourse!

Oh and yeah..he has 2 Grammys and a view more nominations!

Edited by Turntable

After I break this down, I see that they're equal and mirror images of each other in hip-hop, and're still steps ahead today's mcs even without best material recently(but even Michael Jackson can't top "Thriller" and Prince can't top "Purple Rain") they still top 50 Cent, Mike Jones, Game, Eminem, and're on the same level as the better mcs like DMX, Kanye West, Jay-Z, and Nas, going through their album catalogs you'd see that:

LL Cool J:

Classic Albums:"Radio", "Mama Said Knock You Out", "Walking With A Panther"(I don't have this album but this gets a lot of critical acclaim), "Mr. Smith", and "G.O.A.T."

Nearly classic album: "The Definition"(if "Can't Explain It" was left off, it'd be, a step above arguably his weakest album "10")

Average Albums: "14 Shots To The Dome", "10"

The rest of his 11 albums are solid releases

FP/Big Will:

Classic Albums:"He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper", "Code Red", "Rock The House"(I don't have this album either but this album gets a lot of critical acclaim), "Homebase", "Big Willie Style" and "Lost and Found"

Nearly classic album: "Willenium"(if "Freakin' It" and "Da Butta" were left off it'd be, even though some tracks are stronger than anything on "Big Willie Style" it's not as consistant from start to finish since those 2 tracks're forgettable/skippable)

Average albums: "And In This Corner...", "Born To Reign"

I heard on TV not too long ago that LL didn't have any Grammy's, that's why I put that, they were obviously wrong. I just wish I could remember where I heard it. Sorry about that mistake.

FP is my favorite rapper...but when it comes 2 skillz, i think they are on the same level. They both write rhymes that cover all kinds of stuff, their flows are straight forward, and their production is usually consistently very good. They both know how 2 rock shows properly (which is a rare skillz 4 emcees/rappers these days). They are both great businessmen and got heatly movie careers on the side. Where one has strength, the other has a strength in another area.

LL has been my 2nd favorite emcee for years and i've been fans of both of them since the mid-80's.

LL was closely behind will for me. But when i first his "Father" song and the video it was amazing. He went thru so many things in that song and i respect him for that. so i would have to say they are Equal.