JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will at the NBA Finals

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at work and forgot to tape the beginning but I heard it on ESPN Radio.  Trust, the crowd was feeling it.  They cheered wildly when the announcer said Will's name.  They also cheered very loudly at the end of the song when the announcer said, "give it up for Will Smith!" 

I can't say I agree with some of the opinions that people are getting tired of Switch.  I love that song and the fact that the NBA picked Will to open up the NBA Finals is real big.  It's not like Switch is #97 on the charts; it's a Top 10 single!  A lot of people are feeling the song.  When you perform at big events like the Super Bowl or the NBA Finals you usually perform your hit song.  When the NBA All-Star game was at Denver a couple of years ago, Outkast performed Hey-Ya even though they had another single out.

I know everybody wants to hear Party Starter but it was smart for Will to perform Switch.  It's his hit song right now.  A lot of people haven't heard Party Starter so the crowd probably wouldn't have been pumped.  Everyone needs to relax.  Will knows what he's doing.

I have to disagree. Watching the replay again for the 4th time, the crowd was not animated in the least. There are certain things you can see on television that you can't hear on the radio. People were standing still with their arms crossed, dead still, simply watching with no emotion evident. Yes, people cheered for him when he took the floor and ended, but there was absolutely no cheering or singing along as he performed, especially for such a hit song.

I'm not too sure people here would have been as concerned about the crowd's reaction to Party Starter as they would have just wanted an unveiling of something fresh. The NBA finals is a very, very large stage to perform a new single. Granted, San Antonio isn't really known for their love of hip hop, but I'd rather have the crowd not cheer for Party Starter and have everyove who is watching on television and listening by radio hear it for the first time than have Will perform Switch and have the crowd not get into it regardless of it being a hit and being out for going on 3 and a half months with people watching on tv and listening by radio hearing it for the 30th time.

Incidentally, when Outkast performed at the All-Star game, people cheered and sang along, and they were very animated... maybe too animated, before, during, and after the performance. Same thing with Black Eyed Peas last year during the playoffs.

This isn't to say that Will didn't do a good job performing Switch. He did an excellent job, but the crowd wasn't really into it.

I did record it... so those who didn't get a chance to see, I'll put it up sometime today.

The only thing that annoys me with Will performing Switch all the time is that he does the same thing at every performance! There doesn't seem to be any variety! Even down to what he says! Its all the same!! We need something new Will!!

The only thing that annoys me with Will performing Switch all the time is that he does the same thing at every performance!  There doesn't seem to be any variety!  Even down to what he says!  Its all the same!!  We need something new Will!!

He doesn't usually do the beatbox thang in switch, does he?

Just saw it on the repeat, It wasn't as bad as your all saying, i know from first hand experience that just cus you didn't hear to crowd on t.v. doesn't mean they were not screaming and shouting(even after the 4th time !)

Doe's anyone know it's they stayed around for the game

Sad 2 say that it wasn't as good as it could been. I guess ppl are starting 2 get alittle wary after hearing or seeing the same performance. And not to mention the fact that S.A isn't that much into Hiphop. Mostly all the grown folks listen 2 Tejano that or Country music. Well the younger crowd listen 2 gangsta rap the same artist again n again. Well I blame the radio stations for why alot of young ppl who don't know who P.E n 2Pac is. But then again it seems like all radio stations are doing that. Playing the same five songs. Like 2 day I must have heard that Ying Yang Twins "Whisper Song" 5 times. Anyway it have been worse.

Just saw it on the repeat, It wasn't as bad as your all saying, i know from first hand experience that just cus you didn't hear to crowd on t.v. doesn't mean they were not screaming and shouting(even after the 4th time !)

Doe's anyone know it's they stayed around for the game

I'm on my 6th review... I'm just making sure... and........ no, the crowd's not into it. I mean, really... if a crowd of 18,797 people is yelling and cheering, you'll hear it, just like you can hear it when they cheer as Will takes the stage, when the pyrotechnics come on, and when he leaves. The video is up incidentally.

The only thing that annoys me with Will performing Switch all the time is that he does the same thing at every performance!  There doesn't seem to be any variety!  Even down to what he says!  Its all the same!!  We need something new Will!!

lol "can't hear y'all i can't hear y'all!!" :haha:

Lol, what's worse is that most of the time, he says that and the crowd responds and yells louder... This time... I don't know what happened... did they not understand that he was trying to get them to be more involved... Bring on Party Starter...

theres no way we can tell how good the crowd is without being there, they always look dead on tv but when ppl have been there they say the crowd were lovin it.

I dont agree about the Will does the same thing everytime. Every switch performance ive seen has had something different, basketball dudes, naked women, drummers, clowns, kids dancing, african dancers. obviously Will raps the same but only bcoz he has to perform in front of millions of ppl and if he changed it everytime he would mess up.

I think every1 should stop complaining, Will could of got 20 mil for another movie so lets be glad we have these performances!

Party starter will come in good time and then we can sick of that too.