JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Battles

I think when two rappers have a beef, they should simply have a freestyle battle to decide who wins, not just rap about how many guns they have. I think Will would beat mostly everyone in the rap game today

There's no battle quality in saying things u could do (like the gun talk). It's just ignorant fools talking 2 me. I think it's embarassing with stuff like Jay-Z and Nas feuding. Espeically 50 Cent trying 2 fight everyone in the game. He's an idiot. Especially when it's obvious that it's just for sales. There really isn't any reason 4 people 2 feud.

Battling, when done, should be strictly old skool. It waz the compitition that people were after. It waz the challenge aspect that made it entertaining. It's not like that anymore. People just wanna cuss each other out and say explict stuff. It's just mindless insulting. In the end, everybody just looks like a fool.

People don't battle because people in general don't have those skills anymore. For example, Jadakiss challenged 50 to a battle on pay-per-view, but we all know 50's not going to do that, and we all know why. People don't like to be embarrassed, the egos are too huge, and they can't back up 87% of the stuff they say. People can say stuff about whomever they want in their written lyrics and get away with it. These days, people want to front about who sells more and who has a bigger gun collection instead of testing their true skills as rhymers.

Why don't people just schedule freestyle battles to resolve beef? Because 75% of the people on 106 and Park's freestyle friday could beat most of these rappers out now.

Edited by MaxFly

Yeah I absolutely agree with AJ & Max Fly...Today's so called beefs in Hip hop aren't battles...But if it were handled like in the old-skool someone could see the true skillz of an MC! I remember the LL Cool J Canibus battle ... after Canibus lost he just shut the ****! 50 will never take part in a battle as Wu-Tang-Clan asked him for a battle when he promoted get rich or die tryin ... he rejected! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Today's society is only happy with Rap music that contains violence and gun talk. A freestyle really would be perfect, but unfortunately their "reputation" can only take talk about killing their enemies. Sad.

Look over the BDP vs. Juice Crew beef, or the Kool Moe D and LL beef. They didn't need violence.

God, society's perception of music is pathetic nowadays. :chuks:

I wouldn't even call today's nonsense battles. The last good battle was between Westside Connection and Common back in '94. Since then it's all been about trying to degrade each other's personal lives. These numbnuts don't even talk each other's rhyme skills and lyrics.

It's all nonsense to me. It's why I don't really listen to rap anymore.

I agree, and Jada did criticize 50's skills, he said "You should stick to selling clothes and sneakers, because out of your whole camp, your flow is the weakest." and that his rhymes are preschool and his new CD is 100% pure garbage. My 100th post!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I disagree wit AJ on one point. The Nas Jay-Z battle. That was good. Notice it still isnt' going on. Nas won 52% to 48% by most books. So U can basically call it almost deadlocked. It can go either way. But Nas won. Jay just said to not accept defeat. I think some people looked at the battle the wrong way. That's the real fault. Not the fact that Jay and Nas "fueded".

Battling doesn't go on 2day because people blow it outta proportions and take it too far. In battlings case, change isn't good. It was good clean fun is all. Now it ain't. We gone from "Battle of Wits" to "Battles of Bulls***s".

I Believe Jay z won that nas beef, thats how close it actually was...Nas dissing Jay z on "Ether" and Jay z dissing nas on songs like "Brooklyns Finest", my friend actually has all the battling songs done by R.O.C and Nas's Label...it was great to hear the stuff they were saying, Nas was being all intellegent as he normally is, and Jay z with his witty words a good line from Blueprint 2

"Yo gotta cut the grass for the snakes to show

but i gotta thank my lil homie Nas for that though"

that line respects nas there....saying "We done a beef that no one could decide who won, and battling shouldnt be just old school, its because the voilence disrupts the rap game, but thats the only flaw init, most rappers come up from the Ghettos and stuff like that, they had a bad childhood, so theres nothing we can stop the violence because its there way of life.

Battlin' in hip-hop has been pretty mediocre in recent years, that Nas-Jay-Z battle was aight but I wouldn't rank it up there with the KRS-ONE vs. MC Shan, Sugar Hill Gang vs. Grandmaster Flash and Furious Five, or the LL Cool J vs. Kool Moe Dee battles, those were the most creative battles ever, it was all about skills, now it's all about who sells the most and who's more gangsta 'cause that was the best thing that Jay-Z said about Nas, he said that he has more skills than Nas 'cause he sells more than him, and that's what ruined it from being a legendary battle in my opinion, Nas did a great job on "Ether" which kept it from being a close battle, he won hands down, Jay-Z didn't really drop that much knowledge to contend with Nas to consider it a close battle, "Superugly" was a weak comeback.

Edited by bigted