JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Jay-Z and Will Smith ...Business partners?

ok let's just drop this b4 it starts in2 an argument again!!

it isn't an argument. If you're gonna give props to the old school for making an impact, U gotta give some (only a rare few) newer guys credit too. Jay did a lot of firsts in the business world for rap. Why does everyone assume i'm tryin to argue with ppl?? I wasn't even startin up ****!

Edited by *mimi*

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Run-DMC were the 1st rap artists to have a sneaker deal with Adidas, MC Hammer sold his own toothpaste, LL Cool J was the 1st rapper to start appearing in films. Hey I like some new school hip-hop too don't get that twisted either, but I give props to ol' school cats mostly.

Edited by bigted

Run-DMC were the 1st rap artists to have a sneaker deal with Adidas, MC Hammer sold his own toothpaste, LL Cool J was the 1st rapper to start appearing in films. Hey I like some new school hip-hop too don't get that twisted either, but I give props to ol' school cats mostly.

I definately take back my Run DMC comment (i forgot that they made deals with Addidas), that's a big thing for sure. But toothpaste? for MC Hammer? How many rappers have gone on and done toothpaste deals? If you're tryin to say he paved the way with endorsement delas sure, but he if created his own line of toothpaste (lol) that wouldn't be an endorsement. LL wasn't the first rapper to appear in movies.

You could say LL was one of the 1st rappers to act if you consider Eminem acting in "8 Mile" when he played himself in "Krush Groove", one of the original hip-hop films that featured him, Run-Dmc, Kurtis Blow, Fat Boys, Beastie Boys, New Edition, and Shiela E., I actually think that the Fat Boys were the 1st hip-hop artists to actually be featured in a motion picture when they did "The Disorderlies", even though the movie's kinda corny(still better than Ja Rule acting though, lol), you could say they opened doors for rappers.

MC Hammer did other endorsement deals too like Pepsi and a couple others I forget, maybe AJ might know, regardless though he did a lot to make hip-hop a billion dollar buisiness, and I don't see nothin' wrong with advertising toothpaste, it's better than advertising liquor like mostly every rapper does, tell our kids to be alcoholics, yeah that's keepin' it real! :mad8:

Edited by bigted

it's clear that mimi listens 2 most stuff from '97-present which is why she defends 50 Cent and likes Jay-Z and others

it's clear that Ted listens 2 mostly old skool stuff from '85 on and doesn't like the new mainstream stuff

let's just respect each other's opinions cuz u 2 obviously don't have the same tastes in rap music  :peace:

wow smartie... what are u psychic? I'm not a huge fan of old, old school rap like Public Enemy or LL Cool J, I admit, but I do love some early 90's stuff. I grew up on Pac and Biggie, to me that era was prime. Sorry, but u don't know me, so don't talk about obvious. I don't like Jay-z as a rapper, all I said was he was a good business man. When it comes to business ventures and expanding hip-hop culture into the mainstream, this guy has done it. Sorry, but u read me wrong.

yes i am a ****ing smartie i get a 3.8 GPA. i dont know what ur ****ing problem is, all i'm tryin 2 do is prevent arguments that have already started in other boards and threads. i wasn't comin at u or anything, ur the one making stupid ass comments at me and starting arguments, which i already tried 2 prevent. i wasnt trying to act like like i knew u, just making whats called an inference (see im smart) from ur previous posts, and i was correct in thinkin u don't like old school hiphop. i don't understand why u say u don't like certain people and then proceed 2 kiss their ass. if u wanna have an intelligent conversation then do so, i already tried 2 and u replied talking a bunch of **** 2 me.

Edited by reborn2reign

it isn't an argument. If you're gonna give props to the old school for making an impact, U gotta give some (only a rare few) newer guys credit too. Jay did a lot of firsts in the business world for rap. Why does everyone assume i'm tryin to argue with ppl?? I wasn't even startin up ****!

i never said that u, mimi, were tryin 2 start an argument. the thing is, whether u are or not, there's been other occasions were u and Ted have been involved in and they had 2 get locked up cuz they were gettin out of hand. i wasnt tryin 2 start anything, in fact, i was tryin to prevent it. so sorry if, in your own words, "u read me wrong"

LOL