JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

JAY-Z ON BIG WILLIE STYLE

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will's albums are like movies too, more like Disney movies, but it seems that the only rappers that get respect are the ones that make Steven King movies for their albums, if Will cursed a few times and put drug and alcohol references in some of his songs and called "Freakin' It" "F****n' It", he'd be played on black radio as much as Jay-Z! :hilarious: What Will talked about in that "Big Willie Style" album is his real life, he makes 20 million a film, so of course he's living large and deserves to boast about it, other rappers that make less money do it get more street cred, it doesn't make sense to me! :poke: I think that Columbia ruined Will's image, he'd been better off retiring from making albums and sticking to movies, I really think he won't stop getting criticism until he does another album with Jazzy Jeff, it'd be nice if "Lost and Found" is his last solo album that'd be a nice way to usher in a new JJFP album, "I Wish I Made That" is a must to be released now! Remember though "Big Willie Style" was released around the time that Biggie and 2Pac were murdered so Will didn't wanna come with something too hard at that time, he wanted to make the music lighter in the somber times of hip-hop, but every rapper samples, even Jay-Z, this is hip-hop, it's known for sampling. There's nothin' wrong with braggin' either I love Jigga's "Love The Doe" about as much as I love FP's "Y'all Know", hip-hop's a braggin' art, I personally feel that FP has better punchlines than Jigga that's all, you shouldn't have to rap about the streets if you don't live in the streets anymore, it's good to keep the reminiscing to a minimum when you're a hip-hop vet and keep the themes current, look at "Lost and Found", "Scary Story" was the only song FP rapped about his childhood, he raps about his life now mostly but usually gets knocked for that, I don't understand why?! :confused3:

Edited by bigted

At least Jay-Z respects Will, but Will is just as good as him, if not better, Lost and Found is better than any album by Jay-Z

Frenetic posted

Born to reign was as creative as a donkeys ass

Was that neccessary? :poke:

i agree with u Braces. i tnink Born 2 Reign was the most creative album. sometimes taking a risk and tryin 2 be creative with different styles doesn't always work so well, but there's no denying that it was his most creative album even tho it's my least favorite solo album

Frenetic posted

i agree with u Braces. i tnink Born 2 Reign was the most creative album. sometimes taking a risk and tryin 2 be creative with different styles doesn't always work so well, but there's no denying that it was his most creative album even tho it's my least favorite solo album

I'd still bump "Born To Reign" more than any Jay-Z album except "Reasonable Doubt", I could say half of "Born To Reign" album is hotter than anything I've heard from Jay-Z in recent years, btw his Volume 3 album is garbage, anything you could say that Jay-Z has done original I bet I could say another rapper's done it before, even though he's been arguably the best mc out on the commercial scene at the moment, until "Lost and Found" has dropped! :poke:

Edited by bigted

I waz going thru' an old Vibe (April 1999) magazine 2nite. Since i don't really like Jay-Z, i never read the interview back then...but i skimmed it 2nite and came across this...

---

VIBE: Your album's at 3 million. Will Smith's is at 4 million. What dose that tell you about the state of hip-hop?

JAY-Z: Will did a great thing for hip-hop. He brought light onto it, exposed people to it who normally wouldn't be listenin.' Some people are gonna love and stick with Will. SOme people are gonna say, "I wanna little more edge to my music." The more educated people are, the more they're gonna look for the cream of the crop.

VIBE: Do you mean your own work?

JAY-Z: Yeah.

VIBE: You would say Will is the cream of the crop?

JAY-Z: Me and Will make different music. He's a very creative person. I think mine has more edge and is more reality-based than his.

---

I kinda laughed when i read this. Of course i don't like Jay-Z that much but i have heard alot of his music. So my opinion may not be that respected on this, but not all of his stuff "reality based." He's got tons of that jewelry talk...which isn't reality, it's just empty lyrics. Not everyone may feel the direction FP takes in his music, but pretty much eveyone can relate 2 it, and it's him putting his life on wax...that what reality is.

Just because he has jewelry talk doesn't mean it's not reality - that's HIS reality.

At least Jay-Z respects Will, but Will is just as good as him, if not better, Lost and Found is better than any album by Jay-Z

I'm one of the bigger Will fans on here, but c'mon, you can't be serious.

Y'know what though, Imma keep my mouth shut, because it always seems to get out of control in these 'Jay-Z Vs. Will Smith' threads, that really don't need to be happening, CONSIDERING they're BOTH TWO DIFFERENT ARTIST.

For the record, Will is just as materialistic, with lines like "Ya'll better leave me alone, before I buy your radio station and send you home", or even "I could stand on my wallet and kiss the sky", or even "Crib sick, you can see the booth from the kitchen", every rapper does it, just because it's materialistic, doesnt make it real - if it's real to them, Which it is, then I have no beef with it, because they talking about how THEY live.

So Give it a rest people.

Frenetic posted

I'd still bump "Born To Reign" more than any Jay-Z album except "Reasonable Doubt", I could say half of "Born To Reign" album is hotter than anything I've heard from Jay-Z in recent years, btw his Volume 3 album is garbage, anything you could say that Jay-Z has done original I bet I could say another rapper's done it before, even though he's been arguably the best mc out on the commercial scene at the moment, until "Lost and Found" has dropped! :poke:

Ayo, to be honest with you fam, you really urk me with your opinions sometimes, because as much as you hate Jay-Z for certain things, you give Will the right to be the same way. You're saying that nothing Jay does is original, but even on Lost & Found, there are tracks that have been done, and I love both rappers to death. the Blueprint is a way better album than Born to Reign, and you can ask Hero1 about my love for that album.

Like I said, it just seems at times that you're extremely bias towards Jay, and have NO real reason to be so. Like I said, Imma keep my mouth shut and just walk away before this argument starts again.

I like Jay-Z but I don't know about that comment either. RealityBasedhmm? I think he should have reality from the hood that would have made alittle bit more sense. O well at least he said sum nice things about Will :angel:

Haha yes, I agree! Jay-Z is pretty cool, he is ok but sometimes he really strange... :confused3:

Well the interview is 6 years old and Jigga probably would've learned to be more open minded but if he still says that his music is more real than Will's that'd sound awkward 'cause he's rich too and doesn't live in the streets anymore either but that doesn't mean he ain't "real" just the same as Will who's still "real" too and just 'cause he might've grew up in a tougher 'hood than Will doesn't make him more "real" either, people who say that Jigga's music is more real than Will's are ignorant 'cause both of their lives are different, I personally like Will more than Jay-Z but that's just my opinion and this is a forum so I'm gonna express it, and the thing about Will's originality, a lot of rappers bite their styles off of him by putting out party singles, Will always rap about his life in his music so I'd say that he's still an individual representin' his art but I think his most original work was the 5 albums that he did with Jazzy Jeff, even though I think "Lost and Found" is great, he needs to go back to doing what he does best and not worry about addressing haters, not everybody's gonna like him, but back in the day it was cool to be original, but now if you ain't gangsta you ain't cool or "real", so he should just continue what he does best with Jazzy Jeff: 2 turntables and a mic to rock the house with a lil' ol' school/new school flava to please all ages.

Edited by bigted

Well the interview is 6 years old and Jigga probably would've learned to be more open minded but if he still says that his music is more real than Will's that'd sound awkward 'cause he's rich too and doesn't live in the streets anymore either but that doesn't mean he ain't "real" just the same as Will who's still "real" too and just 'cause he might've grew up in a tougher 'hood than Will doesn't make him more "real" either, I personally like Will more than Jay-Z but that's just my opinion and this is a forum so I'm gonna express it, and the thing about Will's originality, a lot of rappers bite their styles off of him by putting out party singles, Will always rap about his life in his music so I'd say that he's still an individual representin' his art but I think his most original work was the 5 albums that he did with Jazzy Jeff, even though I think "Lost and Found" is great, he needs to go back to doing what he does best and not worry about addressing haters, not everybody's gonna like him, but back in the day it was cool to be original, but now if you ain't gangsta you ain't cool or "real", so he should just continue what he does best with Jazzy Jeff: 2 turntables and a mic to rock the house with a lil' ol' school/new school flava to please all ages.

Nice said! :thumb: Of course I also like Will more, way more!!!!!!!! And the thing with Will should go back to what he does best is right either! But anyone gotta change his style sometime, I mean not completely but gotta try somethin' different or not? Will did that and he did it awesome!!! Now he said the most of the things he always wanted to say and can go back to what he does best! In his interviews he still can say what he wanna say, it's not really necessary for him to mention everything in his songs!

Just because he has jewelry talk doesn't mean it's not reality - that's HIS reality.

Yeah, he has jewelry how. But how often can someone talk about something like that. That's why i say alot of his songs are empty, cuz they talk about irrelevant stuff like ice. That's wack 2 me. And of all the people who buy his albums actually are dripping with diamonds?!? I'm saying that even if i thought Jay-Z had real skill, i wouldn't be able 2 relate 2 him which would bore me. When i listen 2 FP's music, i can releate 2 it, when i listen 2 LL Cool J or Speech, i'm click with what they have 2 say. They actually talk about stuff in their music. And i'm not saying that music isn't real just becuz i personally can't relate 2 it. But like i said, how many of the people who have bought his albums can say they relate 2 most of his songs?

My reality is based around love, friends, comedy, working, spirituality, etc. When i hear someone talk about diamonds, cars, sexing as many ladies as possible, drugs, drinking, guns, and violence...that dosen't speak 2 me. It's not like i don't know drug dealers or havn't gotten in a fight or wasn't in a position where i could have been shot, but music like that still dosen't speak 2 me. When i used 2 write alot, i didn't really put that stuff in my music.

Let Jigga hear "Lost and Found" and then let him say that Will's not as "reality-based" as him. I think Jay-Z has a lot of love for Will, but I think he was a little bitter that Will sold more than him.

Anyway that article was done over 7 years ago so I'm sure Jay probably changed his views.

Edited by Big Willie Style

I'll be coming with a reply soon, just gotta do some other ****, then i'll hit back y'all...

Big williye style: he said he liked lost and found

why even compare the two, Jay z in my opinoin one of the greatest rappers who will ever live, hate him or love him, it just goes down to will write his lyrics, but jay z freestyles, two different styles and ya'll tryin to say whos better, and how can people stick up for jay z when this is a FRESH PRINCE column, its sorta stupid coz most of the majority who are involved with this post havent heard a jay z album at all. they have heard all his singles yeah....but albums? reasonable doubt i believe was a classic, a straight hip hop classic, the black album was an instant classic....but how can u compare will smiths "Lost and Found" against Jay Z "The Black Album" two different sorts of rap, and Jay z is a reality rapper because of the words hes saying in the black album, he was discribing what he went thru when he was still hustlin etc......but im not going to get in this arguement, i just think 3 pages for this sort of arguement is stupid, theres so many different points about each artist its like asking whos better, Doug E Fresh and Mobb Deep.