JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

JAY-Z ON BIG WILLIE STYLE

I waz going thru' an old Vibe (April 1999) magazine 2nite. Since i don't really like Jay-Z, i never read the interview back then...but i skimmed it 2nite and came across this...

---

VIBE: Your album's at 3 million. Will Smith's is at 4 million. What dose that tell you about the state of hip-hop?

JAY-Z: Will did a great thing for hip-hop. He brought light onto it, exposed people to it who normally wouldn't be listenin.' Some people are gonna love and stick with Will. SOme people are gonna say, "I wanna little more edge to my music." The more educated people are, the more they're gonna look for the cream of the crop.

VIBE: Do you mean your own work?

JAY-Z: Yeah.

VIBE: You would say Will is the cream of the crop?

JAY-Z: Me and Will make different music. He's a very creative person. I think mine has more edge and is more reality-based than his.

---

I kinda laughed when i read this. Of course i don't like Jay-Z that much but i have heard alot of his music. So my opinion may not be that respected on this, but not all of his stuff "reality based." He's got tons of that jewelry talk...which isn't reality, it's just empty lyrics. Not everyone may feel the direction FP takes in his music, but pretty much eveyone can relate 2 it, and it's him putting his life on wax...that what reality is.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AJ, I know you'll really like Jay Z's "Blueprint", and "reasonable Doubt". 2 of Hip Hop's finest, honestly...far from talk about other stuff (which is simply put, just scattered around his albums, not EVERYTHING he releases is about that.

I like Jay-Z but I don't know about that comment either. RealityBasedhmm? I think he should have reality from the hood that would have made alittle bit more sense. O well at least he said sum nice things about Will :angel:

It's true talk, the majority of those who bought BWS is people just skimming thru musicbiz. How many of them are still with will? not even halv of them. But those who bought Jay's Cd at that time (i think it's vol2) are still buying it, just different groups of people. De really didn't diss will.

Blueprint, Reasonable doubt, black album are all classics. That three classics in 7 years.

Well Jay-Z has fans stick with him 'cause he does the same thing over and over again, he doesn't try to be that creative with his music compared to Will, basically every one of Will's albums are different and some don't like that, they actually stick with those who don't take risks with their music,"Willenium" didn't sell as much as "Big Willie Style" 'cause it was a lil' more relaxing than "Big Willie Style" was, which people consider more of party album, if Will kept on making albums like "Big Willie Style" then he'd still sell 12 million but wouldn't get much respect in hip-hop for doing the same thing over and over, Jay-Z basically tried remaking "Reasonable Doubt" everytime he comes out so doesn't get much respect by a lot of hip-hop heads for sounding repetitive just like every pop rapper, except for when he did "Black Album" where he tried to add a rock sound to it, but the same ol' rhymes to me, Jigga does more money talk on his recent albums than Will ever did, he only did that on "Big Willie Style", he doesn't have nothin' on Run-DMC and PE when it comes to rippin' a rock track! Public Enemy, KRS-ONE, and Run-Dmc among other legends also had sales slip 'cause they experimented with their music too, they don't try to remake their classic albums from the '80s either, those who try to offer something new don't get sales.

Edited by bigted

Well Jay-Z has fans stick with him 'cause he does the same thing over and over again, he doesn't try to be that creative with his music compared to Will, basically every one of Will's albums are different and some don't like that, they actually stick with those who don't take risks with their music,"Willenium" didn't sell as much as "Big Willie Style" 'cause it was a lil' more relaxing than "Big Willie Style" was, which people consider more of party album, if Will kept on making albums like "Big Willie Style" then he'd still sell 12 million but wouldn't get much respect in hip-hop for doing the same thing over and over, Jay-Z basically tried remaking "Reasonable Doubt" everytime he comes out so doesn't get much respect by a lot of hip-hop heads for sounding repetitive just like every pop rapper, except for when he did "Black Album" where he tried to add a rock sound to it, but the same ol' rhymes to me, Jigga does more money talk on his recent albums than Will ever did, he only did that on "Big Willie Style", he doesn't have nothin' on Run-DMC and PE when it comes to rippin' a rock track! Public Enemy, KRS-ONE, and Run-Dmc among other legends also had sales slip 'cause they experimented with their music too, they don't try to remake their classic albums from the '80s either, those who try to offer something new don't get sales.

Ignorant talk, you can't even have listened to jay's albums. Vol 1,2 and 3 are all VERY different from reasonable doubt. And it's his worst albums too, still not bad albums, i can till ride to vol.3 at sometimes.

Born to reign was as creative as a donkeys ass, had 2-3 good songs, rest of it was really bad. Willenium was dope but bad decisions from the label made it not being as huge as big williye style even tough it had success. Will has done three good albums, i would say one of them is a classic (willenium, it's a really good album), lost and found has the potential to become one, i can get back tothat in a year and see if i still can bump that ****. Big Willie style is too pop to me to make it a classics and i can onlyy bump 2-3 songs from it now. Jay'z has made only good albums, but i'd say four of them are classics, and the public would say three of them are classics.

The Black Album being rock? No man... only one song and that 99 problems. Ain't no touch of rock anywhere on that album besides that. The lyrics onthat album is fantastic, even NAS fans are giving love to that album, it's a flawless album. Don't be a hater see it from an objective point of view. The beats, the lyrics, eveyrthing is different, even the flow. He DID experiment on this one, he put a huge risk in not making a commercially appealing album. The albums touched alot of themes, and it was like movie.

The blueprint is another wonderful album, Takeover is the best diss-song ever besides Hit Em Up and the bridge is over. It has really good cool clubtracks, it has the girlsongs, it has everything! It's a very introspective album with him looking at him self alot (u don't know, song cry, renegade, izzo), not like other albums either.

Blueprint 2.0 is another classic in my eyes as it has just 1 or two songs that i can't say is the best. It's like a sequel to the blueprint but a bit mor raw. Bitches and sisters is example of that.

Reasonable doubt, dont gotta say anything he changed the game witht that just like nas did with illmatic or KRS, Public Enemy and others did before them.

You don't have to experiment to make good albums, you can still do really good with developing your skills and sounding fresh. And to survive in this business, you have to have a business mind. KRS ONE is still dropping knowledge, but only a few people are hearing it, is it cuz his albums are different? yes a little bit but also much because he doesn't have business mind. I'd love to see KRS ONE being a huge star nowadays, but he won't cause he's to focused on hating the mainstream. USE the mainstram instead.

AJ, I know you'll really like Jay Z's "Blueprint", and "reasonable Doubt.

I do like Reasonable Doubt. But like Eminem, his 1st album waz he dopest and since then, the music isn't the same. I did like 2 of the singles of the Blueprint but i didn't like a few of the other trax i heard.

Hey I was sayin' "99 Problems" was the only song that he attempted to be creative from the recent singles of his, but that ain't as aggressive as "F*** The Police", and other than that he's doing the same s*** as every other pop rapper with club anthems like "Change Clothes", "Just Wanna Love Ya", "Big Pimpin'", "Izzo", "Dirt Off Your Shoulder", and "La-La-La" that sound similiar to the club anthems that Will has released in recent years that keep his recent albums from being classic, so I feel the same should be with Jay-Z, he shouldn't criticize Will for not making reality based music when he doesn't always do that himself, I prefer Will's club bangers over his too 'cause he brings more energy than Jigga does, I wouldn't waste my money on his recent s***, I bought his 1st few albums which I rarely listen to now except "Reasonable Doubt" but since 2000 I haven't really been feeling him, I downloaded a lot of his stuff and borrowed "The Blueprint" from the library and it's nothin' impressive. That term classic gets throws around too easily, there's no way "The Black Album" could be a classic with a garbage song like "Change Clothes" and there's no way "Blueprint" could be a classic with a garbage song like "Izzo", to be a classic every song has to be great, he has some good songs on his albums and some forgettable songs, every rapper could make good songs, but he doesn't hold weight compared to what JJFP, PE, and KRS-ONE have done, legends make great songs. I haven't seen Jigga release a single as personal as Will's "Just The Two Of Us" and "1000 Kisses" yet, so I don't think he should criticize Will for not making reality music, but it's dope that he acknowledges Will as a hip-hop pioneer and I'd prefer him over most pop rappers today but in no way would I say that he's better than even Nas 'cause Nas releases powerful songs like "One Mic" and "Just A Moment", "99 Problems" is garbage compared to them.

Edited by bigted

Here's an example of Jigga's materialistic rhymes, check out "Jigga That N***":

Roc-A-Fella y'all

[Jay] It's the Roc!

Jigga, Jigga, that nigga Jigga

[Jay] R.O., R.O.C. niggaz, R.O.

[Jay] Hov'! R.O.C. niggaz, R.O., whoo!

[Jay] It's Hov'! R.O.C. niggaz

Jay-Z..

[Jay-Z]

Come on the track duh duh da-da

With a throwback jersey and a fitted

Might blow a bag of hershey in the sidd-ix

Or might take sips of army with a chidd-ick, I'm so sick widdit

Lampin in the Hamptons, the weekends man

The Stan Smith Adidas and the Campers

Or playin guts on the cruise, Hermes bow shoes

The Izod bucket on I'm so old school

Yellow wrist watch, Gucci flip flops

Six top model chicks, who is this hot?

J-A, ladies help me say it now

Y-Z, mami why you playin with me?

Ride with me, get high as me

It's how it's supposed to be, when you rollin with G's, Hov'!

Back up in this bitch like whoa

Jigga get this whole bitch jumpin like six-fo's

[Chorus]

(Hov'!) V is I, and I am him

(Jigga, Jigga, that nigga Jigga!)

Slim with the tilted brim on twenty inch rims

And if y'all got love for me I got love for y'all

And if y'all go to war for me I go to war wit y'all

[Jay-Z]

Hov'! And so I breeze through, jeans is Evisu

She's respondin, top of C. Bronson

We in Luan (whoo!) gettin our groove on

Buyin out the bar, on our way to Spa'

She never seen a hundred on the wrist before

Never seen twenty-two's on the 6 before

I am, killin 'em out there, they needin first aid

Cause the boy got more 6's than first grade

The crib got, killer views and square feet

You have to film MTV Cribs for a week

So, sleep if you need to, mami I will leave you

Right where you stand, nah I don't wanna dance (I'm good)

I just wanna see what's in your Frankie B pants

Waist is low enough to let your waist show

Top like a rock star, I got a fast car

We can cruise the city, doin a buck-sixty

[Chorus]

[Jay-Z]

"He did it again!" Haters no like

But they gotta f*** with it cause the flow's so tight

Gnarly dude! I puff Bob Marley dude

All day, like Rastafari's do

Now I'm stuck to the point I could hardly move

You ****in up my high, don't bother me dude

But Red Rover, send your hoes over

She can do WHATEVER, sip somethin with soda

She can leave WHENEVER, sip somethin with Hova

We can play HOWEVER, slay bed or sofa

And the prognosis, sex is explosive

Left her with wet bedsheets, nigga I'm focused

[Chorus]

[Jay-Z]

R.O., R.O.C. niggaz..

R.O.C. niggaz

(Roc-A-Fella y'all!)"

This is going to be an epic discussion.

:cwm: Hey man I got no problem with Jay-Z but I ain't gonna say he's a legend, there's a thin line between good mcs and legendary mcs, he's a good mc at best, Nas is the closest mc out now to becoming a legendary mc, JJFP and LL Cool J have set the standard for commercial rappers and I don't see Jay-Z doing anything differently than what anyone else is doing and I'm gonna stick to that opinion and there's only a handful of albums that are definite classics like "Paid In Full", "Mama Said Knock You Out", "Criminal Minded", "Raising Hell", "It Takes A Nation Of Millions...", and "He's The DJ..."(people don't give JJFP enough credit for this album, they earned the 1st rap Grammy and Chuck D says so himself) so "Reasonable Doubt" is not in that class, it wasn't even the best album in '96, "All Eyez On Me" was, which I feel was truely the last classic album in hip-hop. Look man it's all love go play your Jay-Z man, I'm gonna bump some more KRS-ONE! :peace: