JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

top 100 best rap/hiphop artist

Guest Guest

Yeah, but who cares about career. 2Pac had things 2 say that this generation needs 2 hear (cuz pretty much nobody else is saying anything relevant). All this generation gets 2 hear is his thugged out filler trax he did just 2 get off Deathrow).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont get how Big L isnt even on the list. The dude should be in the top 20. He had real skill.

Big L deserved to be on the list somewhere but I don't think top 20 or even top 50, he made less impact than even Biggie with a shorter career, Freaky Ty made more impact than Big L, I'd put him on the list too, how could Too Short not be on the list, he's easily somewhere in the top 20! What about Two Live Crew? They should be mentioned as well, even though they ain't my style!

Edited by bigted

Yeah, but who cares about career.  2Pac had things 2 say that this generation needs 2 hear (cuz pretty much nobody else is saying anything relevant).  All this generation gets 2 hear is his thugged out filler trax he did just 2 get off Deathrow).

2Pac is NOT overrated. look at the sh!t he was sayin back in 89 and 90, it still holds true 2day. look at his new albums that were recorded back in 95 and 96, they still ring true 2day and they still sound new. i'm convinced 2Pac was ahead of his time, the man was pure genious. and yes, he would still be making consistant could music today becuase there have been many current events that he would've rapped about. besides, it's not a longevity contest either. the main point is the man made an impact, and even if his records weren't as consistant as WS, he would still be making an impact in todays society.

by the way, it wasn't commenting really on AJ's post even tho i quoted it. sorry 4 that

Edited by reborn2reign

KRS-ONE is the greatest mc of all time though in my book, he even said in one of his songs:

"You respect 2Pac

But 2Pac respected me"

Listen to "Criminal Minded" that came out almost 20 years ago and you could relate to every song, KRS' is not popular anymore but he's been doing a lot of great things, he's the most intelligent rapper alive now that 2Pac is gone, more people need to listen to him 'cause what he says on his songs are powerful now still like they were on "Criminal Minded", and I think if Will Smith died already he would be ranked higher too, Will Smith gets hated on 'cause he's not as serious as 2Pac and KRS but hip-hop is about being yourself and he's not afraid to smile in public, KRS and 2Pac are great to make you think, Will makes you feel good, 2Pac wasn't considered the top rapper until he died, 2Pac wouldn't be on top on everyone's list and that's a fact if he was still living! Well if it was about impact then Melle Mel should be #1 'cause everybody was influenced from "The Message" and yes longevity should count, how many rappers have put out albums like "Lost and Found" nearly 20 years after they started? Will has been more consistant than a lot of ol' school mcs that're still making albums, some should really give it up, they make one great album then drop nothin' but mediocre albums after mediocre albums. I could pretty much relate to "Parents Just Don't Understand" and "Girls Ain't Nothin' But Trouble" now too, those are the anthems of my life! :cwm:

Edited by bigted

KRS-ONE is the greatest mc of all time though in my book, he even said in one of his songs:

"You respect 2Pac

But 2Pac respected me"

Listen to "Criminal Minded" that came out almost 20 years ago and you could relate to every song, KRS' is not popular anymore but he's been doing a lot of great things, he's the most intelligent rapper alive now that 2Pac is gone, more people need to listen to him 'cause what he says on his songs are powerful now still like they were on "Criminal Minded", and I think if Will Smith died already he would be ranked higher too, Will Smith gets hated on 'cause he's not as serious as 2Pac and KRS but hip-hop is about being yourself and he's not afraid to smile in public, KRS and 2Pac are great to make you think, Will makes you feel good, 2Pac wasn't considered the top rapper until he died, 2Pac wouldn't be on top on everyone's list and that's a fact if he was still living! Well if it was about impact then Melle Mel should be #1 'cause everybody was influenced from "The Message" and yes longevity should count, how many rappers have put out albums like "Lost and Found" nearly 20 years after they started? Will has been more consistant than a lot of ol' school mcs that're still making albums, some should really give it up, they make one great album then drop nothin' but mediocre albums after mediocre albums. I could pretty much relate to "Parents Just Don't Understand" and "Girls Ain't Nothin' But Trouble" now too, those are the anthems of my life! :cwm:

i'm not sure about the whole "2Pac wouldn't be on top" thing. i dont know since i was too young in '96, but im pretty sure gettin the new 2Pac album was like the thing 2 do back in '96 and while he wouldn't be on top of the list with rappers like Jay-Z, 50, Eminem, Kanye West and other rappers emerging, he'd still be on most peoples top 5

KRS has been the top rapper though for the last 20 years, he's still on top, there's no mc out there that could beat him, listen to his recent albums, he's ahead of his time still, not Jay-Z, not Eminem, not Kanye could top him, even Will has trouble topping KRS' let alone them 'cause they don't have the longevity or the impact that he's had, if people consider "Marshall Mathers LP", "College Dropout", and "Reasonable Doubt" classics, all 13 KRS' albums are classic! I think there should be seperate lists with this just like the album lists with the impact artists for each decade rather than all-time 'cause there's different eras and styles to compare Melle Mel to Nas, there's no definate #1, everyone has their own opinions, but the pioneers deserve their due, y'all might hate on Roxanne Chante but she opened doors for female rappers, so she definately deserves some props.

Edited by bigted

Well if it was based on only skills then JJFP should be at least in the top 5 without a doubt, they got a unique style that's uncomparable! :afro: But to say that Mase has more skill than Big Daddy Kane is disgusting! 2Pac was mostly about impact, there's quite a bit of mcs that you could compare skills with, he wasn't that much of a freestyler, but they can't compare to the impact he's made, skills doesn't mean everything, impact means more to me 'cause that doesn't mean you could make a great song even though you could freestyle all day! Also a lot of these mcs with complex rhymes out now get booed off stage, they can't rock a show like PE, JJFP, Run-Dmc can, performance is where the legends shine, I don't think Nas could put on a better show than MC Hammer and Public Enemy, and it showed last year at VH1 honors, his flow nearly put the people to sleep, as a fan of his I was dissapointed, but he is one of the greatest lyricists of our generation, I don't know if I'd wanna pay to see him live though, I think I'd rather wanna see JJFP live. Notice though it said it was based on:

Criteria: - These 100 artists where chosen and ranked based on their influence, impact, originality,

and talent, lasting popularity. All realms of Rap/Hip-Hop are included, including vocalists.

And if hip-hop vocalists are mentioned Nate Dogg should be mentioned 'cause he's been on hooks of every big hip-hop song and Ja Rule is a hip-hop vocalist too, at least he tried! :hilarious: As much as some of us might not like Eminem, he has to be on the list too 'cause he's been able to last popularity, but he wasn't the most original, he bit most of his skills off of Hieroglyphics that burned him in a battle, and has tried to be a white Death-Row version of 2Pac, he's the Elvis Presley of rap 'cause Elvis bit most of his style off of James Brown, but somehow he got to be a household name so he should get some credit, but the originator should be the one on top in my book.

Edited by bigted

Well if you look at the criteria on this list, KRS-ONE, Public Enemy, and Rakim should be in the top 5 but popularity is something that they lacked and most pioneers didn't have any so they get buried to the bottom of the list and one day when 100 popular rappers come along they won't be mentioned at all. :nono: A lot of the most popular rappers ain't the most talented! LL Cool J is definately the "G.O.A.T." 'cause he has had 10 consecutive platinum albums, he's influenced every popular rapper, and has phenominal skills, his sales were not a gimmick, JJFP would come in 2nd behind him 'cause Fresh Prince's storytellin' lives on and is still on the Billboard charts after all these years and Jazzy Jeff transformed DJ to another level literally with his transformer scratch but DJ'ing is a lost art now and were the 1st rap artists to win a Grammy it'd be nice if they made another full length album together and won a Grammy it'd solidify that legacy even further, and 2Pac would be 3rd we all know why 'cause he sells more in his death than his life and is the voice of our generation but when he was living his sales were just about the same as Rakim and KRS-ONE so he'd be overlooked just like them if he was living, Run-DMC would be 4th for being the 1st rap artists to go gold but their fame faded after "Down With The King" which was the 10th anniversary, and Outkast would be 5th for a decade of consistancy and chart topping hits but never could top Run-Dmc's impact on commercial rap, if record sales were a part of the equation and Hieroglyphics would never get a mention but they've been out as long as Outkast and are just as original and talented, so obviously I think very lil' about record sales, emptv doesn't control hip-hop!

Edited by bigted

• Members

I just want to add something to this topic. I feel that 2Pac has to be the number 1 rapper of all time because of the passion and the emotion he had in his voice when he raps which no other rapper ever had till now. When you listen to his songs, you could actually feel the pain in his voice which is just unbelievable. His anger, his sadness, his pain, everything would get conveyed through his tone of voice which absolutely goes straight to your heart. I don't think 2 Pac is overrated in any manner because he certainly deserves all the accolades. Living or dead, it doesn't matter, because he was extremely talented.

I just want to add something to this topic. I feel that 2Pac has to be the number 1 rapper of all time because of the passion and the emotion he had in his voice when he raps which no other rapper ever had till now. When you listen to his songs, you could actually feel the pain in his voice which is just unbelievable. His anger, his sadness, his pain, everything would get conveyed through his tone of voice which absolutely goes straight to your heart. I don't think 2 Pac is overrated in any manner because he certainly deserves all the accolades. Living or dead, it doesn't matter, because he was extremely talented.

Couldn't have said it better! :tear:

Hey I'm not underestimating 2Pac's greatness at all when I say that but I feel that we should appreciate the legends while they are living, 2Pac didn't get the fame that he deserved while he was living, that shows you how foul this society is, if he was still living I don't think he'd either was all that I was saying, KRS-ONE and Will Smith don't get enough props that they should get in my opinion! :mad8:

Edited by bigted

wow, i couldn't have dreamed of articulating that better! it's so true, whenever i hear songs like "Starin Thru My Rearview", "Hellrazor" and "How Long Will They Mourn Me" i just feel his emotion and i get chills up my spine!