JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Motown Remixed

May 10, 2005 10:00 AM US Eastern Timezone

Motown Remixed Trio of Vinyl Albums Set for Release on May 10th from UMe; CD Release Parties Set for Southern California, Detroit This Month

SANTA MONICA, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 10, 2005--Motown fans and music lovers around the world will have a chance to experience the legendary record label's classics on vinyl when three volumes of Motown Remixed are released on May 10th, 2005. Volume 1 is "hip-hop," Volume 2 is "club" and Volume 3 is "chill." Motown Remixed, the 15-song CD of Motown classics re-grooved by today's name remixers and producers will be released on Motown/UMe on May 24th, 2005.

Two of the three songs on the "chill" volume are already charting. Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On" remix by Paul Simpson and Miles Dalto has been on both the Billboard and Radio & Records charts. Meantime, the "Chill Jazz Mix" of Smokey Robinson's "Quiet Storm" by the Groove Boutique features guest soloist Roy Ayers and has gotten radio airplay in select markets. There's also a DJ Jazzy Jeff and Pete Kuzma "Solefull Mix" of The Temptation's "Papa Was A Rolling Stone" on "chill."

Extended mixes of classics on the hip-hop vinyl include two Jackson 5 tracks, "I Want You Back" (Z-Trip Remix) and "ABC" (Salaam Remi Extended Krunk-a-delic Party Mix); Gladys Knight & The Pips' "I Heard It Through The Grapevine" (The Randy Watson Experience Sympathy For The Grapes Mix) and The Undisputed Truth's "Smiling Faces Sometimes" (Futureshock Main Ingredient Mix). The club volume contains Eddie Kendrick's "Keep On Truckin'" (DJ Spinna Extended Mix), Edwin Starr's "War" (King Britt Extended Mix) and Stevie Wonder's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours" (DJ Smash Essential Funk Mix).

Special marketing and promotional events surrounding the release of Motown Remixed will be held in major markets and feature DJ Smash on the turntables. There will be a special event at Zanzibar in Santa Monica on Thursday, May 12th. Motown's hometown of Detroit will play host to release parties on Thursday, May 26th and Saturday, May 28th. Both nights will be a part of the annual Detroit Electronic Music Festival weekend.

For the producers/remixers of Motown Remixed, revisiting songs that have inspired them was a dream come true. For Old School Motown fans, Motown Remixed is a resurrection. For fans of current hip-hop, R&B and Pop, Motown Remixed is a revelation. So hear it again for the first time. Motown Remixed, the album, stars producers/remixers and the songs:

-- Paul Simpson (Serious Intention, Spinners, Jacksons) and Miles

Dalto, for Marvin Gaye's "Let's Get It On"

-- 'The Randy Watson Experience': AKA Ahmir "?uestlove" Thompson (The

Roots, Common, Nikka Costa, Joss Stone) and James Poyser (Erykah

Badu, Jill Scott, Roots, Anthony Hamilton), for Gladys Knight &

The Pips' "I Heard It Through The Grapevine"

-- DJ Green Lantern (Eminem, Nas, Tupac, and has his own new album

coming soon), for Rick James' "Mary Jane"

-- Salaam Remi (Ludacris, Amy Winehouse, Fugees, Nas, Jamiroquai),

for the Jackson 5's "ABC"

-- DJ Z-Trip (Soup of Jurassic 5, Chuck D and has his own new album

"Shifting Gears"), for the Jackson 5's "I Want You Back"

-- DJ Jazzy Jeff (Will Smith, Jill Scott, Kenny Lattimore, KRS-1),

for The Temptations' "Papa Was A Rolling Stone"

-- DJ Spinna (Guru, De La Soul, Mary J. Blige), for Eddie Kendricks'

"Keep On Truckin'"

-- Hank Shocklee (Shocklee Entertainment, Public Enemy, Mary J.

Blige, Ice Cube, Peter Gabriel), for the Undisputed Truth's

"Smiling Faces Sometimes"

-- Easy Mo Bee (Alicia Keys, Notorious B.I.G., Miles Davis), for The

Temptations' "Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me)"

-- Mocean Worker AKA Adam Dorn (U2, Mystikal, Moby, Charles Wright,

Bill Frisell, Nina Simone), for Rare Earth's "I Just Want To

Celebrate"

-- Hotsnax AKA Full Phatt (Ashanti, Nelly, Outkast, Usher, Christina

Milian, Bob Marley), for Smokey Robinson & The Miracles' "The

Tears Of A Clown"

-- King Britt (SYLK130, Digable Planets, Miles Davis, Grover

Washington, Jr.), for Edwin Starr's "War"

-- DJ Smash (Roy Ayers, Chico Hamilton, Cassandra Wilson), for Stevie

Wonder's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered I'm Yours"

-- Rafe Gomez and David Baron as 'The Groove Boutique' (the

nationally-syndicated cool jazz mix show of the same name), for

Smokey Robinson's "Quiet Storm"

-- Tranzition (everyANYTHING), for Diana Ross & The Supremes' "My

World Is Empty Without You"

Edited by zeffbean_8

Great news I look forward to that! :afro:

• 2 weeks later...

I waz looking in a Target ad this weekend. Motown Remixed drops this Tuesday. Target had a picture of the album cover and they have it priced at $7.98. I don't know if all 3 dics are gonna be out on CD, but they at least will have 1 of them out 2morrow.

• Members

I waz looking in a Target ad this weekend.  Motown Remixed drops this Tuesday.  Target had a picture of the album cover and they have it priced at $7.98.  I don't know if all 3 dics are gonna be out on CD, but they at least will have 1 of them out 2morrow.

I've heard the Motown Remixed CD. It sounds really good. New engineering to the music, but still very true to the original artists' work. I would recommend it to all.

All i can say is WOW! This CD is amazing. I love the old Motown stuff and none of these remixes leave me feeling they messed with the music in a bad way.

THE JACKSON 5 - I Want You Back - The guitar starts it off, then a retro Hip-Hop beat drops. Perfect way 2 start off the album.

GLADYS KNIGHT + THE PIPS - I Heard It Through The Grapevine - It starts off with little music under the vocals. Then this live band back up the original vocals.

MARVIN GAYE - Let's Get It On - This on is CRAZY!! The beat is a laidback back, summery soul thump. Marvin's vocals are of course timeless. This remix could top the charts if they released it.

STEVIE WONDER - Signed, Sealed, Delivered, I'm Yours - Funkly live band remix of the track. Stays true 2 the original.

THE JACKSON 5 - ABC - Bass heavy mix with a dash of old skool mixed in.

RARE EARTH - I Just Want To Celebrate - Raw hip-hop beat backs this one up. Some nice scratches are tossed in. This isn't one of my fav songs in the 1st place tho.'

THE TEMPTATIONS - Papa Was A Rollin' Stone - DJ JAZZY JEFF + PETE KUZMA bring it on this house meets R-N-B soul remix. This original song isn't comparable 2 alot of The Temptations stuff, but JJ + PK totally flipped it in a way that i like better. It's dope. What else do u expect from da Magnificent?!? CHECK IT!!

SMOKEY ROBINSON - Quiet Storm - amazing song from the start. This throwback R-N-B take on it is great. While the beat is a bit sinple, it's about as far as u wanna take it on the remix of this song.

DIANA ROSS + THE SUPREMES - My World Is Empty Without You - This is defintly one of the best remixes on the album. It's a steady bumping slow take on the song. WOW!!

THE TEMPTATIONS - Just My Imagination - One of the greatest R-N-B songs of all time. Legendary Hip-Hop producer Easy Mo Bee reworks this track in a vibes infested R-N-B soul remix. U'd expect this sound from A Touch of Jazz.

THE UNDISPUTED TRUTH - Smiling Faces Sometimes - Not one of my favs in the 1st place. This remix keeps a dash of the original feel in it...but it's a basic R-N-B remix 4 it.

SMOKEY ROBINSON + THE MIRACLES - Tears of A Clown - This is a upbeat dance remix of the song. Interesting.

EDDIE KENDRICKA - Keep On Truckin' - DJ Spinna handled this one. The beat is live band meets Hip-Hop funk.

EDWIN STARR - War - this is a trippy jungled flava'd dance version. King Britt did this one.

RICK JAMES - Mary Jane - This funk remix is a bonus cut. Definitly a great take on the track.

If u check this album b4 listening 2 it. Make sure u check The Jackson 5, Marvin Gaye, Temptations, and Diana Ross + The Surpremes remixes.