JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will Smith's Greatest Selling Albums

Actually Jay-Z don't nearly sell as much as them and I got no beef with him, I neither like or dislike him, but I think 50 and Em are kinda egotistical and overrated, and I'd say Nelly is more overrated, but he's not as egotistical as he was before.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually Jay-Z don't nearly sell as much as them and I got no beef with him, I neither like or dislike him, but I think 50 and Em are kinda egotistical and overrated, and I'd say Nelly is more overrated, but he's not as egotistical as he was before.

Uh now I understand! Ok now I fully agree to this one! :sonny:

In these days, when albums can go platnium in 2 or 3 days, i'm really disappointed that Rock The House and And In This Corner... have still sold more copies than Lost + Found.  After all, in those days, it waz amazing when a Hip-Hop album sold Gold.

It's dissapointing but ol' school hip-hop is dead in the mainstream world, how much did "The Magnificent" sell? I'm sure "L&F" passed that already too, LL Cool J's the highest selling ol' school mc over the past couple years with "The Defintion" which sold around 600,000 copies, which is about as much as Nas' "Street's Disciple" sold and he's not even that ol' school yet, it's a miracle for ol' school hip-hop artists to sell 100,000 these days, I don't even think De La Soul did that, so let's put this in perspective here, Will's doing great 'cause his time was supposed to pass him already as far as sales are concerned! I wish that artists could be judged on their talent more than how old they are, but I guess the teens don't wanna buy albums by somebody as old as their parents. Tim has a point there too, nobody's going platinum in 3 days anymore except Eminem and 50 Cent, the average sales for the #1 album lately has been less than 100,000, so even if Will hit #1 for a couple weeks, it still would take longer than a couple months to go platinum.

Word!

I'm still shocked how "Code Red" - an album with 3 videos, 3 singles - featuring a US top 10 hit "Boom! Shake the Room" (the single went Gold too) failed to come close to the success of "Homebase". You'd think with all the promotion of JJ+FP on TV that it would've sold alot. Man, what the hell was goin on with society back in late '93? Jeezs.

Well everyone was hooked on "The Chronic" and "Doggystyle" those days, great albums but they killed a lot of careers, Public Enemy, Tribe Called Quest, and Slick Rick's popularity plummeted as a result and more wannabe gangsta rappers came out as a result who lacked the subject matter that Dr. Dre and Snoop talked about but they outshined a lot of hall of famers, gangsta rap killed the essence of hip-hop, even "Illmatic" didn't sell as much as it should've, it only sold 'bout as much as "Code Red" but had critical acclaim.

Edited by bigted

those figures are really interesting, i know code red wasnt a big seller but OMG thats so bad, what was wrong with ppl in those days.

I think its great that lost and found has sold more than born to reign already. Lost and Found deserves to be up at the top with willenium and hes the dj (its never gonna pass big willie style).

• Admin

AJ you need to check the latest sales figures.. I've been following em closely the last 6 months..and not many artists are going gold..cd sales are on the decline.. a big artist with a few hit singles is selling 1.5 to 2 million.. even eminem years ago he was sellin 10 million his last album only sold 4 million... as bigted said LL Cool J's last album sold 600, 000 so thats the first goal i have for lost and found to reach something around that.. you cant say gold is a failure especially when Wills last album sold just 230, 000 this is a good comeback from him..give him props! :dancingcool:

:werd: Nobody can keep their sales up album after album, TLC sold 14 million with one album, then their last album barely hit platinum, Michael Jackson's "Thriller" sold 30 million and his last album only sold 5 million, Wyclef's "The Carnival" sold 2 million copies and his last album didn't even sell 50,000, Boyz II Men's "II" also sold 14 million like TLC and I don't think "Throwback" even sold 100,000 copies, and MC Hammer sold 10 million with "Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em" but his independant albums don't even sell 100,000 either, so I'd say if Will only sells 50,000 one day then that's a failure, put things in perspective, as fans we wanna see Will sell 20 million with this album but that ain't happening, so just chill, 'cause even Kanye, one the most popular new rappers out now only sold 2 million on his last album, which is what "He's The DJ..." sold, Will's been there and done that, he has a lot of paper and platinum plaques now anyway, he's doing this for the love.

Edited by bigted

:werd: Nobody can keep their sales up album after album, TLC sold 14 million with one album, then their last album barely hit platinum, Michael Jackson's "Thriller" sold 30 million and his last album only sold 5 million, Wyclef's "The Carnival" sold 2 million copies and his last album didn't even sell 50,000, Boyz II Men's "II" also sold 14 million like TLC and I don't think "Throwback" even sold 100,000 copies, and MC Hammer sold 10 million with "Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em" but his independant albums don't even sell 100,000 either, so I'd say if Will only sells 50,000 one day then that's a failure, put things in perspective, as fans we wanna see Will sell 20 million with this album but that ain't happening, so just chill, 'cause even Kanye, one the most popular new rappers out now only sold 2 million on his last album, which is what "He's The DJ..." sold, Will's been there and done that, he has a lot of paper and platinum plaques now anyway, he's doing this for the love.

Indeed. I think over time L&F will hit the 1 million mark. I think that there are too many possible good singles off it for it to not pick up. At the moment you've got all them fans who like switch contemplating buying it but wanna hear more first so as soon as more singles come out itll sell steadily again.

Artists usually have one album that is THE ALBUM (michael jacksons's thriller, ushers confessions and so on)... will had it with big willie style, damn... 9 mill in the U.S makes it over 12-13 mill worldwide which makes it diamond. Woow... that's alot of records...

I think the Seeling of the "legends" aren`t that bad.Ok maybee 50 Cent sels much more than LL but it`s just a hype.LL or De La Soul Will be still here when 50 Cent is allready forgoten...

Oh my God..My English sucks so much... :nono:

Yea I agree!!! But u heard 50 sayin' he wanna be like 2Pac someday? Hahaha... Don't make me laugh 50 man, come on! That's just weird... He won't be like 2Pac and can't be, neva!!! So that's just so, one more time, = :werd:

:lolsign: