JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Why "Tell me why" should not be the 2nd single...

It's like what I'm reading about hip-hop called "Where You're At" with an underground mc from Brooklyn saying:

"Like I wrote one verse and I played it to my boys and they were all 'that s---'s too deep'. So I rerecorded it and didn't change a thing, just added 'my nigga' at the end of each line, and they were all like, 'Ok, now I'm feeling you'. It's crazy but you've gotta give the people some kind of hook."

People like dumbed-down music and that's a sad thing about music, these rappers ain't doing nothin' different than what Britney Spears does it seems now. :speechless:

At some point, an artist has to say, you know what... even if the masses aren't receptive to what I have to say... I must say it anyways... even if it's only for my peace of mind in knowing that I tried. There are a number of tracks like that on Lost and Found. It's true that people are feeling the Switches and the Pump ya Breaks... But people need to hear the Tell Me Whys of the album as well. We've had one Party Track off of Lost and Found already. People need to see that this isn't only what Lost and Found is about.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

its a difficult situation tho.. on one hand i want them to release tell me why as a single to show that Will aint just sum hollywood movie star doin party raps like sony made him out 2 be..on the other hand i want lost and found to go gold and do really well.. i think why party starter is a nice choice is because..on face value its a huge party/club track.. but if you check wills 2nd and 3rd verses hes actually sayin sumthin quite relevant and interesting... switch->party starter->tell me why would be a great progression from party to serious..to show off the album..but at the end of the day will thinks tell me why is his 2nd best record hes made so theres no way that aint being released as the next single

Not only do I think Tell Me Why should be released but I think it's the most sobering, realistic and conscious hip-hop track I've heard in quite a long time.

The reason why Willennium didn't do bigger sales, I think, is the fact that Sony released Freakin' It instead and that's the biggest problem with rap right now. Rappers gotta have "hot" or "radio-friendly" tracks. Tell Me Why is real! And I don't buy that more serious tracks can't do well in the spring & summertime. Wasn't Kanye's Jesus Walks song released last summer? Look at how big of a hit that was. I believe Tell Me Why is on that level of Jesus Walks.

Jadakiss' Why was remedial rap at best. He tried to be controversial by "suggesting" Bush knocked down the towers but no one bought that nonsense. And then you knew it was a money-making ploy when he was making money off the "Why?" T-shirts. Will's song comes at it from a totally different angle - from the minds & hearts of young children. For those of us who are grown, we've had to answer questions from young kids when stuff gets crazy. We asked questions of our parents when we all were kids.

I think it's imperative for Will to release Tell Me Why. Who cares what

the haters will say. They're haters; it doesn't matter what Will does they'll hate on him.

I know we all want L&F to be real successful but this time it's not all about sales. This song can really reach out to some people and get them to think about things that are going on in the world today. We can party later.

Tell Me Why is longer than Party Starter...

Switch was the best choice 4 the first single cause its a clubbanger, but I don't know what Will should release next.

tell me why is IMO not that good

Party Starter is another partytrack

and the other tracks...no single material except L & F which would be my next single

Big williestyle had different kind of singles, from gettin jiggy, to a soundtrack song to a tribute to a son and a tribute to a city.

Gettin Jiggy - party track

MIB - party track

Miami - party track(nobody thinks that that is a tribute to a city in the 1st place)

Just the two - serious track

But BWS was/is so great that it didn't bother anybody that 3 singles were party tracks

Well there is a difference, you don't listen to partytracks the way you listen to tell me why...

MIB wasn't a partytrack, it had a party feeling, but it wasn't a clubbanger like gettin jiggy with it. Miami was also a partytrack, but a different kind of one (and it came out after gettin jiggy with it), you didn't just relate to partying wih it.

-----

I think will doesn't really care about how people like tell me why, cause it seems like the song is one of his favorites and he just wants to get it out so that people hear it. I'm pretty certain it'll be a hit, cause of the fact that it's a cross-over hit. People that usually listen to r&b or soul will like it, people listening to common, mos def and talib will like it but also the youth and more easygoing people will like it.

Partystarter has a more directed target of people, the club and mtv people knahmean? Sure it's risky, but hey! Life's full of risks right?

Diamonds are forever is dope! It ain't a conscious song, but u really, really got to listen to the lyrics to understand what he means.

I honestly think that the people affected by 9/11 will appreciate this song, and enough time has passed for them to not get offended by it.

I think it is a good choice as a second single, with the right promotion and will do very well.

Only time will tell.

Will takes risks with his movies by doing different things and people appreciate that so he should do the same with his music, if he does that he'll be a bigger legend than he is already.

I really don't think it's a smart idea to release "tell me why" as the 2nd single. One main reason is, 9/11 which makes up the first part of the song, is a sensitive subject to many people. Especially to the people in New York, they don't need to relieve it or be reminded about it. My older sister's boyfriend attends NYU, and says ppl aren't generally comfortable hearing about it. I don't know how you guys feel overseas about 9/11, but in America it's not a topic we want to hear in a song over the summer. Trust me on this, it really isn't. Also, Jadakiss' "why" came out not too long ago. Some people feel "tell me why" is just riding the coattails of that song's success. Although a lot of u say "it's way superior than Jadakiss," most people don't think it that way. Nowadays, people are more concerned about "biters." Tell Me Why just is not a smart choice. Plus to be honest, I don't think it will be the huge hit you guys are anticipating. If Will wants more sales, the smarter choice is "party starter" as the 2nd single. Once u solidify a more sure hit, then u could release the other good songs, even "tell me why" to continue selling your cd.

I understand, ur right somehow but Lerkot is right either! I dunno, I let Will decide which single to relase next! Me, I think he could release and he also couldn't but I agree Lerkot more, so I'd say he should release it! The track is just great along with Mary J.! :speechless:

its a difficult situation tho.. on one hand i want them to release tell me why as a single to show that Will aint just sum hollywood movie star doin party raps like sony made him out 2 be..on the other hand i want lost and found to go gold and do really well.. i think why party starter is a nice choice is because..on face value its a huge party/club track.. but if you check wills 2nd and 3rd verses hes actually sayin sumthin quite relevant and interesting... switch->party starter->tell me why would be a great progression from party to serious..to show off the album..but at the end of the day will thinks tell me why is his 2nd best record hes made so theres no way that aint being released as the next single

Well yeah "Party Starter's" sorta like MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This", it has a lot of rhthym, but it has some conscious lyrics in there too, it wasn't just your average dance song:

"My my music hits me so hard

Makes me wanna say oh my lord

Thank you for blessing me

With a mind to rhyme..."

its a difficult situation tho.. on  one hand i want them to release tell me why as a single to show that Will aint just sum hollywood movie star doin party raps like sony made him out 2 be..on the other hand i want lost and found to go gold and do really well.. i think why party starter is a nice choice is because..on face value its a huge party/club track.. but if you check wills 2nd and 3rd verses hes actually sayin sumthin quite relevant and interesting... switch->party starter->tell me why would be a great progression from party to serious..to show off the album..but at the end of the day will thinks tell me why is his 2nd best record hes made so theres no way that aint being released as the next single

Well yeah "Party Starter's" sorta like MC Hammer's "U Can't Touch This", it has a lot of rhthym, but it has some conscious lyrics in there too, it wasn't just your average dance song:

With a mind to rhyme..."

Yeah... it's better then 50 cent club songs:

thug, dub, bud, bub, g-uniiit, gangsta, g'd up, zup ni*ga, bounce, ass, chea.

Chorus in a baby easy rythm:

yeah baby we in the club, chea,

yeah, this is how we bounce in the club

yeah... in the club homies.

its a difficult situation tho.. on  one hand i want them to release tell me why as a single to show that Will aint just sum hollywood movie star doin party raps like sony made him out 2 be..on the other hand i want lost and found to go gold and do really well.. i think why party starter is a nice choice is because..on face value its a huge party/club track.. but if you check wills 2nd and 3rd verses hes actually sayin sumthin quite relevant and interesting... switch->party starter->tell me why would be a great progression from party to serious..to show off the album..but at the end of the day will thinks tell me why is his 2nd best record hes made so theres no way that aint being released as the next single

With a mind to rhyme..."

Lol, not to turn this into a 50 bashing thread, but you forgot the tightest "rhyme" ever written.

50... uhhh... Bentley... uhhh...

:speechless:

With a mind to rhyme..."

Lol, not to turn this into a 50 bashing thread, but you forgot the tightest "rhyme" ever written.

50... uhhh... Bentley... uhhh...

:speechless:

Hahaha, u guys are funny!

Or what about this?:

''Fresh like uunnhh...'' hahaha... :kekeke: :kekeke:

:lolsign:

first of all, i love "Diamonds are Forever." Don't get it twisted. I said Kanye was good and different, but ppl think he is the epitome of concious rap, and that is a problem.

2nd, i read posts here everyday saying Will should be selling more... Well, if you want that, "tell me why" is not a good choice. I've already said why so I won't repeat it. I just want to know which one fans want. Will to sell, or Will to go against what's popular and not sell??

It's concievable that he can do both... go against the grain and sell. I don't necessarily see it as an either/or proposition. Look at Jesus Walks or a number of songs Mary J. has done.

Even if Tell Me Why isn't a huge hit, I think people will see that Will has a bit of diversity on Lost and Found when they hear it. At the very least, Tell Me Why should revive interest in the album. As to whether it will be a huge hit or not, that's to be seen. It would have been better if Tell Me Why was the first single he released, but I don't think people will react to it negatively when it comes out as the second single. As for those who are comparing it to Jada's Why... the comparison is almost laughable.

Now I'm gonna go play Diamonds Are Forever.

Edited by MaxFly

well its like Will's always said, the bigger the risk the better the prize. Releasing tell me why is a risk bcoz it is a sensitive subject, but i think its good for people to hear things like that, its like what Lerkot said, we have to remmember the past so it never gets repeated.

I do want Will to sell a lot but i think in order to do that he needs to get his respect back after sony threw it away. If ppl hear this song it might make them think maybe Will isnt just some silly rapper thats "weak".

The Jadakiss thing might affect sales in the us but i know it wont affect sales here bcoz if u ask the average person on the street i can almost guarantee they havnt heard his song. Ive never heard it and im a hip hop fan (i should probably check it out ).

Throughout Will's career hes taken risks and hes always come out on top. Look at Ali, he could have messed it up but he didnt and got an oscar nomination. Will's a smart man and if he thinks its right to release this song then im sure its the right decision.