JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Why "Tell me why" should not be the 2nd single...

I really don't think it's a smart idea to release "tell me why" as the 2nd single. One main reason is, 9/11 which makes up the first part of the song, is a sensitive subject to many people. Especially to the people in New York, they don't need to relieve it or be reminded about it. My older sister's boyfriend attends NYU, and says ppl aren't generally comfortable hearing about it. I don't know how you guys feel overseas about 9/11, but in America it's not a topic we want to hear in a song over the summer. Trust me on this, it really isn't. Also, Jadakiss' "why" came out not too long ago. Some people feel "tell me why" is just riding the coattails of that song's success. Although a lot of u say "it's way superior than Jadakiss," most people don't think it that way. Nowadays, people are more concerned about "biters." Tell Me Why just is not a smart choice. Plus to be honest, I don't think it will be the huge hit you guys are anticipating. If Will wants more sales, the smarter choice is "party starter" as the 2nd single. Once u solidify a more sure hit, then u could release the other good songs, even "tell me why" to continue selling your cd.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand what your saying Mimi. Summer is here which should be a time for fun tracks. And Tell Me Why is a bit of a downer. Also sum ppl aren't to happy with Will about how he wasn't really effected by 9/11. Of course ppl r gonna say Will bite off of Jadakiss song Why even tho the song was just about his ego "Why is Jadakiss as hard as it gets?"please. I love the song "Tell Me Why". I think the song is very powerful and has a lot of meaning and thats what is missing in today's rap world. But we'll find out l8r what Will decides to release. :angel:

I think its right to release Tell Me Why as a single. People do need to be reminded of bad stuff to make the world better. Its like with the second world war, if people werent told about it today, many would forget or just dont care about the seriosity in that subject and the opposition against racism would be a little weaker... you know what I mean?

It's got selling capacity because of these things:

- The Hook! Great hook, mary lifts this song up, catchy, easy.

- Beat, simple, yet addictive and different.

- Mary J Blige

- The Second verse is a verse that alot of people relate to, from political activists (why did mendela hav to live in a cage?) to hardcore rappers (why did pac and bigge have to fall in the street)

And the thing is that he doesn't take up the 9/11 the same way as many others do, he tries to twist and see it from a childs eye, AND then critizise the war coming after that. It's not the normal sentimental, sad state of mind.

Partystarter is a great song, it's got everything for a hit. But it has a couple of things going against it.

- general guideline in the music industry (if u ain't 50 cent and own it) is that u don't release two club tracks after eachother. People want to see what more an album has to offer. Example: Big williestyle had different kind of singles, from gettin jiggy, to a soundtrack song to a tribute to a son and a tribute to a city.

another example is Eminems the marshal matters lp. His real worldwide breakthrough. Released different kind of tracks and they all went huge cause of big media watch. Album is diamond.

-another thing calling against it is that it's just a little to long for videos and radio. And editet version would be better. Take out maybe eight to twelve bars from it. my friends say it gets kinda nagging after hearing it a couple of times, becasue of the lenght.

But also, don't hit em to hard with two melodramatic songs. Tell me why should be followed by a light song like partystarter

• Members

Tell Me Why is longer than Party Starter...

Switch was the best choice 4 the first single cause its a clubbanger, but I don't know what Will should release next.

tell me why is IMO not that good

Party Starter is another partytrack

and the other tracks...no single material except L & F which would be my next single

Big williestyle had different kind of singles, from gettin jiggy, to a soundtrack song to a tribute to a son and a tribute to a city.

Gettin Jiggy - party track

MIB - party track

Miami - party track(nobody thinks that that is a tribute to a city in the 1st place)

Just the two - serious track

But BWS was/is so great that it didn't bother anybody that 3 singles were party tracks

I mentioned this in the chatroom before, and I agree w/ alot of the things u said Mimi. I think "Tell me Why" is a very emotional, strong track, and I think it's one of the best on the album. HOWEVER if your chief goal is to release a hit single, I don't think that this song is the one to go for, b/c I really doubt its gonna find an overly receptive audience out there. I could be wrong, but I don't see "Tell me Why" as the sure-fire success alotta ppl here do.

Edited by scyhigh99

I mentioned this in the chatroom before, and I agree w/ alot of the things u said Mimi. I think "Tell me Why" is a very emotional, strong track, and I think it's one of the best on the album. HOWEVER if your chief goal is to release a hit single, I don't think that this song is going to find an overly receptive audience out there. I could be wrong, but I don't see "Tell me Why" as the sure-fire success alotta ppl here do.

No I know what you mean. I cant even feel that its a good song and its not the type of track that usually gets to the #1 top at the charts..

Y'all gotta understand that most people who buy music these days have lil' knowledge 'cause they're young and they only watch MTV, they might say that Will's biting Jadakiss but Jadakiss is biting many rappers himself like Biggie, 2Pac, Jay-Z, etc., his style is fake, but they don't know the history of hip-hop and they only like club songs that they could shake their ass too, they don't wanna hear no conscious s---, the only reason why Kanye West is double platinum is 'cause he makes his music catchy, it ain't the most conscious rap you ever heard, KRS-ONE is the king of conscious rap along with Public Enemy but they don't sell 'cause their music ain't catchy, back in the days, hip-hop songs didn't have to have hooks to be hits, but now they do 'cause the music these days is dumbed down for 13-17 year olds to understand, "Tell Me Why" might not be a hit unless older heads support, but a lot of them are frustrated from hip-hop and don't watch MTV anymore, who could blame them. :speechless:

• Admin

Its definitely a risk releasing Tell Me Why as a single..It will atleast show that Will is doin different stuff on the album, and not just doin party tracks...im not feeling the track as much as sum people.. so will it be a hit? i got no idea..if it does catch on i know the sales will go up for lost and found because the people who like switch prob arent the ppl who would like tell me why.. where as the people who like switch would probably like party starter..

I would really have to wait until the track is released to make an informed post on the subject. I can't say how the public will recieve Tell Me Why. I for one don't see Tell Me Why as just a Sept. 11th song. There are a range of issues that he talks about, and the semi-resolution in the last verse. If the public does recieve the song as a Sept. 11th song, all bets are off. I'm leaning towards it being a huge hit... but you just can't be sure these days.

i agree with a lot of you. I have to say, like Hero, that I'm not feelin it so much as other ppl are. I guess I was anticipating too much when Will said it's as good as Summertime was. The difference b/w why Jadakiss' "Why" and Will's "Tell me why" is Jadakiss' was a bit more light. Will's is darker, more serious and he goes deeper into subjects. Jadakiss' was a hit b/c he didn't get too touchy with subjects. Sensitive ppl will reject "Tell me Why," and not be so receptive to it. Here's the thing though. If Will releases "Partystarter" instead and it's a hit, more ppl will buy the CD. If he wants "Tell me why" to be heard, the people who ended up buyin the CD b/c of "Partystarter" will hear "Tell Me Why" on the CD. I don't think all good songs need to be released into radio. If you market things right, good songs will find enough of the right audience. The problem nowadays is people think Kanye West is the epitome of concious rap. Now Kanye is great and different, however if his "Diamonds are Forever" is the voice of concious rap, we are in trouble. Americans right now aren't receptive of anything but party tracks. Unfortunately, that's reality

Edited by *mimi*

The problem with hip-hop now is that it's limited to the youth fanbase, back when hip-hop started Grandmaster Flash used to throw block parties with 10-80 year olds attending, hip-hop was for everyone, now it's dumbed down like I said before and the kids think that 2Pac and Biggie were the pioneers of rap, you can't blame them 'cause they don't know better. Jadakiss wasn't the 1st rapper to do a song called "Why", KRS-ONE did a song called "Why" on his 2001 "Sneak Attack" album that only a few thousand people like me bought:

[KRS-One] Class in session. What, is, democracy?

[student] Yo it's the rule of the people. The self rule.

[student] It's what the people want!

[K] That's right. But is this a democracy?

Nah, democracy is a goal to be attained.

[K] That's right. The character of the people should be reflected

[K] in the laws and the institution of the state.

Psssh, I don't see my character reflected!

[K] Tell me

[Chorus One: KRS-One]

WHY, are all the schools they fallin apart

and WHY, the youth not takin no musical art

and WHY, the professionals really don't know where to start

No, one, really, cares, about

WHY, the people ain't trustin the law and the order

and WHY, the hookers from 70's look like our daughters

and WHY, the radio station they help with the slaughter

[KRS-One]

The mind, they usin until it's time they doin a rhyme

will ruin what you doin if you crime pursuin

Let me tell you bout gettin your family out the mean ghetto

to green meadows, where you can finally be settled

That street level, freak level, pullin out heat level

Eatin meat level, deceit level, that's that beast level

You gotta stand upright in a house with three levels

Where you don't even see devils unless he shovels the snow

Many philosophers live on the low

Never crazy hazy or lazy we get up and go

Whaddya know, I'm always teaching after the show

Not messin with hoes, I'm with my wife, changin my clothes

Blowin my nose, deliverin blows to foes

with new flows; then disappear where nobody knows

Cause I got too many questions, too many lessons

I gotta go, too many people stressin but I gotta know

[Chorus Two: KRS-One]

WHY, these officers gunnin us down on our block

and WHY, the President never steps in on these cops

and WHY, the mayor don't even look like he in shock

WHY, the call of the poor is always ignored

and WHY, the senators governors breakin the law

and WHY, they taxin and taxin and taxin the poor

[KRS-One]

You, me, or themselves you can tell, they livin in hell

But they come on the TV lookin so swell

Sellin you dreams of schemes of you gettin green and cream

But they never explain the work and all it means

You got to visualize, close the lid on your eyes

and visualize, minimize lies

See yourself bigger in size, quicker to rise up

wise up climb up, before your time's up but

[Chorus One]

The votes

[K] That's right

The politics

[K] That's right

The government you know!

[K] Uh-huh, people basically have the government they want

If people felt dissed, they'd be out rebellin right now

Hey now I think that there's nothin' wrong with Will releasing "Tell Me Why", it'll help him get more credibility in hip-hop for doing this, he's a household name and more people'll pay attention when he says somethin' serious than they would when Nas and Talib Kweli say it, I don't understand how Fat Joe could go from doing conscious songs like "S*** Is Real" and touring with KRS-ONE to doing booty shakin' videos and touring with Nelly, he's losing credibility just to sell records, he got talent, but it's going to waste, Jay-Z' the same way, he could say some intelligent s*** if he chooses to but he chooses to release "Change Clothes" and "Izzo" instead, there's enough booty shaking videos out now, Will should do something different, if it fails, it fails, but at least people won't just call him a party rapper, and he could get the credit he deserves as a hip-hop legend finally by his peers.

It's like what I'm reading about hip-hop called "Where You're At" with an underground mc from Brooklyn saying:

"Like I wrote one verse and I played it to my boys and they were all 'that s---'s too deep'. So I rerecorded it and didn't change a thing, just added 'my nigga' at the end of each line, and they were all like, 'Ok, now I'm feeling you'. It's crazy but you've gotta give the people some kind of hook."

People like dumbed-down music and that's a sad thing about music, these rappers ain't doing nothin' different than what Britney Spears does it seems now. :speechless: