JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

New Edition Leave Bad Boy Records

bigted

"New Edition On Short-Lived Stint On Bad Boy Records

LAUNCH Radio Networks

R&B group New Edition is currently rehearsing for a national tour

which kicks off next month and working with Paramount Pictures on the New Edition biopic. The group plans to head back into the studio sometime in the future to record new music, but following last year's fiasco with Bad Boy Records, they plan on taking their time.

Ricky Bell says signing with Bad Boy Records did not live up to the

group's expectations. "We thought it was gonna be like no limits,"

Bell said. "Let's go all out. Let's just get with the best writers,

the best producers, let's just exploit New Edition, like, all the

way, and that wasn't the plan. I mean, once we got in with him (P.

Diddy), when we didn't agree with him on certain songs, we would get sent home for like six, seven months. You know, it would just be nothing being done."

Bell added that the straw that broke the camel's back was an incident over a song titled "Keep In Touch" which was produced by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis. Bell said that Combs refused to pay for the song because the group was allegedly over budget, although they had only worked with in-house Bad Boy producers.

According to Bell, Combs didn't respect Jam & Lewis, although the two produced many of New Edition's biggest hits. Eventually Jam & Lewis gave the group the song free of charge, but somehow it still wasn't included on the final version of One Love. Bell explained: "You know that song wasn't on there. It was taken off the album, then there was another song put on the album that wasn't even talked about initially of being on the album. A song that none of us liked. On top of that, Puffy paid himself $50,000, on top of that put a song on it that we didn't like, and we just felt like that was just a slap in the face. No respect."

Following the fallout with Bad Boy Records, reports surfaced that the group was difficult to work with. Group member Johnny Gill addressed the rumors. He said: "Well, I want anyone, whoever has any doubts about us, working with us, look at our 22-year record. I mean, it's not ironic when you look at Bad Boy, not only just us, look at the artists that have come, the artists that are leaving, and everyone that's trying to get out of the situation."

Calls to Bad Boy Records weren't returned at press time. "

btw, "Behind The Music: New Edition" will be repeated tomorrow afternoon at 5PM EST in case you missed it.

Edited by bigted

YES!!! This is music 2 my ears!! This also restores my faith in NE, not that it dwindled 2 much. "One Love" is a good album, but 1996's "Home Again" is one of the best R-N-B albums of all time...and "One Love" is not. Bad Boy really messed their album up. The production waz just there the way it should have been, but that statement about Puffy messing with the producers and over looking (oh lawd) Jimmy Jam + Terry Lewis. How u gonna overlook JJ+TL and them put Bad Boys producers all over the album. It's great that they are gonna hit the studio again..not another long gap between albums. Hopefully they get Bobby on this one.

I knew that Bad Boy Records and New Edition wasn't gonna last too long, they need to go somewhere and get more creative freedom, P.Diddy controls his artists too much. :poke:

I kinda figured that was gonna happen. I was watching the VH1 special of NE. P.Diddy want to market them to teens girls but NE r grown ass men. NE r no longer teenagers they want to do grown folk stuff. They wantEd to do their music. Well I'm glad to hear it good 4 them :angel:

Yeah, the Behind The Music special really showed some bitterness about One Love from the guys. Even if the album wazn't their best, it waz still good. It's nice knowing that they guys feel the same way. Bad Boy is bad news. They didn't control NE as much as they could have, but they did enuff 2 make it their weakest. BBD waz supposed 2 drop another album shortly after their 2001 album. I wouldn't mind if that came out 1st.

Damn, everyone should leave bad boy.

aside from a few, Diddy seems to release one album, and then stick them on the shelf.

and everything he's had for the ast few years are all put on hold for this "Making the band" crap...

Yeah, i read that Loon left Bad Boy on mtv.com a little bit ago. The only artists on Bad Boy i ever really liked were Craig Mack, Faith, Carl Thomas, 112, and Total (even tho' their voices were kinda limited).

Wow, even Loon? That guy was is horrible. At least the Loon that was driving with P. Diddy singing "Cars, and money, cash and clothes," just spitting rap stereotypes into my TV was horrible. I don't know if he's any better than that. Anyway, glad that NE is off of BB.

God Blessa!

The funny thing about Loon waz that even tho' he is incredibly wack, he waz probably the biggest talent in that awful group Harlem World. I don't see many other people wanting 2 sign him.

Why am I not surprised? When I first heard that Bad Boy signed NE I knew it would be a disaster. People have to understand that Puffy is about one thing & one thing only - Puffy. If you get signed to Bad Boy then you have to understand that you'll do what Puffy says, when he says and how he says it. He's very hands on and controlling. He really doesn't give artists creative freedom. That is the reason why Mase left the first time(and probably soon again). It's the reason why Faith, Craig Mack and 112 left.

Puffy is a great producer but the show is all about him. He's still living off the name of his Uptown days when he produced for Mary J. Blige, Jodeci and others and of course launching Biggie's career. What has he really done since Biggie's untimely death? A few "hot" singles here and there and that's it. Bad Boy Records is falling apart if you ask me.

P.Diddy is an overrated as a producer, he bit most of his producing style off of Teddy Riley, who was the 1st producer to blend hip-hop flava into r&b tracks, Dr. Dre did the opposite of course blending funk flava into hardcore hip-hop tracks.

Edited by bigted

• 1 year later...