JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

looks like Willl is gettin back into films

I'd just like him to do music for the next year or two. Drop another album...

God Blessa!

That's a bit much if you mean nonstop. That means 2 or three years without a new movie...

Will can still record inbetween films... perhaps even inbetween shooting... I'm content with that.

Well I'm not. Will can do whatever he wants, but I want him to do less movies and more music. Lost and Found is a great album, so I want more. I can take L&F with me anywhere. I can take I, Robot with me anywhere, and I don't want to, to be honest.

I'd like another album before another movie. If Will just keeps going in and out of music then his name doesn't stay in the minds of people when they think about music. Fact is that the people on these boards who have been a community together for years have waited for years in between album after album. So of course I wanna see an album right after an album. Instead of the juggling that I'm so used to seeing.

God Blessa!

Lost and Found is a great album... you definitely should want more... But Will's involvement in movies doesn't prevent him from writing and recording. I've made this argument already, but I'l reiterate... The Lost and Found tracks that we have now were written during the time Will was filming I, Robot, Hitch, and recording for Shark Tale. His involvement in movies didn't prevent him from writing a little over 50 tracks for the album. What the movies will prevent Will from doing is touring. That should be the real concern for those who want Will to do a US or world tour. But doing movies shouldn't affect much outside of the hip hop appearances.

Also, if Will just keeps going in and out of movies, his name won't stay in the minds of people when they think about movies. In the US, we have a saying... "same difference." Therefore, Will does need to juggle. It's essential if he wants to stay in the forefront of the film industry as well as trying to stay in the music industry. If Will doesn't do a movie for 2 years and then comes out with something like Wild Wild West after that time... his movie career will suffer. Tom Cruise, Denzel, Halle, Tom Hanks... they don't disappear for 2 years and then come out with another movie. They keep it constant so that if something does come out a dud, they can rebound quickly.

Keep in mind, I'm not advocating movies over the music. I want Will to release music more frequently as well, but he's no longer just a recording artist. He's a top attraction in the film industry as well now. This is not Ice Cube we're talking about.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frenetic you seriously have no idea what you are talking about.. the people determine whether a song is a hit not radio stations..the sales of switch have been huge..its been no #1 on itunes..and in the top 20 all over the world..switch is a worldwide hit whether you want to admit it or not

The explain this to me man: Why don't you even hear about switch on the streets, in the internet, while you with your homies? Why is Maxfly the only one getting my point with making an impact thing? I don't give a **** if switch has sold alot (SOMETHING WE DON'T EVEN KNOW, BECAUSE WE HAVEN'T SEEN THE FIGURES!!)

I could have sold not too many copies, but still land in the top 5 cause of other sales. Think a bit harder then y'all doing, see beyond the fact you're fans and gotta support, cause that's something that's pretty certain we all gotta do. But when you analyze the situation, u gotta take setbacks. Switch isn't a song that's gonna be rememberd when they sum up the year. Switch isn't getting hype person to person, switch is selling alot (again, probably selling alot) because of he got loyal fans. And Fans don't care if he's on MTV or Hot97. They'll buy what's out. BUT, when you release a song that's purpose is being huge, you gotta reach outside the fans and to the people just buying whatever they see on tv or radio. AND that's where switch is lacking and that's why Lost And Found has had a slow start. Switch are making number, but no hype. And i'd rather see switch ten times on MTV then on the charts, casue tv & radio play control album sells.

That's knowledge straight outta the musicbiz.

Will should have released partystarter as first single, and had switch taken of the album, then you would have HUGE hit (cause partystarter is probably having more of an hype on the tsreets then switch has, being on several mixtapes) and you would have the albums maybe weakest track gone. Will did wrong, everybody makes mistakes. Will has made few, this was one of them (other one was starring in Wild Wild West =).

I have to say that Tim made a good point earlier in saying that overseas, people will usually buy the singles and would need more encouragement with a few more singles to buy the whole album. That's at least a partial explanation even if arguable. However, I don't see the sort of buzz around Switch that the charts imply that it has. Maybe it's just because I'm in the US and Switch has been out for 10 weeks, and I can't talk for those in other countries, but in the US, no one really seems to be talking about it. Perhaps it's because it isn't on tv often and on the radio even less, but it just doesn't seem to have that huge hit feel... that buzz that Jesus Walks or Usher's "Yeah" had. Is it a hit? Yes. Has it done well. Yes.

Tell Me Why still needs to drop regardless, cause I'm sure it'll be a huge hit, and there shouldn't be any doubt.

Frenetic you seriously have no idea what you are talking about.. the people determine whether a song is a hit not radio stations..the sales of switch have been huge..its been no #1 on itunes..and in the top 20 all over the world..switch is a worldwide hit whether you want to admit it or not

The explain this to me man: Why don't you even hear about switch on the streets, in the internet, while you with your homies? Why is Maxfly the only one getting my point with making an impact thing? I don't give a **** if switch has sold alot (SOMETHING WE DON'T EVEN KNOW, BECAUSE WE HAVEN'T SEEN THE FIGURES!!)

I could have sold not too many copies, but still land in the top 5 cause of other sales. Think a bit harder then y'all doing, see beyond the fact you're fans and gotta support, cause that's something that's pretty certain we all gotta do. But when you analyze the situation, u gotta take setbacks. Switch isn't a song that's gonna be rememberd when they sum up the year. Switch isn't getting hype person to person, switch is selling alot (again, probably selling alot) because of he got loyal fans. And Fans don't care if he's on MTV or Hot97. They'll buy what's out. BUT, when you release a song that's purpose is being huge, you gotta reach outside the fans and to the people just buying whatever they see on tv or radio. AND that's where switch is lacking and that's why Lost And Found has had a slow start. Switch are making number, but no hype. And i'd rather see switch ten times on MTV then on the charts, casue tv & radio play control album sells.

Will should have released partystarter as first single, and had switch taken of the album, then you would have HUGE hit (cause partystarter is probably having more of an hype on the tsreets then switch has, being on several mixtapes) and you would have the albums maybe weakest track gone. Will did wrong, everybody makes mistakes. Will has made few, this was one of them (other one was starring in Wild Wild West =).

I have to say that Tim made a good point earlier in saying that overseas, people will usually buy the singles and would need more encouragement with a few more singles to buy the whole album. That's at least a partial explanation even if arguable. However, I don't see the sort of buzz around Switch that the charts imply that it has. Maybe it's just because I'm in the US and Switch has been out for 10 weeks, and I can't talk for those in other countries, but in the US, no one really seems to be talking about it. Perhaps it's because it isn't on tv often and on the radio even less, but it just doesn't seem to have that huge hit feel... that buzz that Jesus Walks or Usher's "Yeah" had. Is it a hit? Yes. Has it done well. Yes.

Tell Me Why still needs to drop regardless, cause I'm sure it'll be a huge hit, and there shouldn't be any doubt.

Yeah, i also agree with tim on that. And i get it if will doesn't wanna release tell me why now. But he could atleast release it to the radio.

Another thing i'm curious about is the management with will.

Now that he's on his own label (again, overbrooke is the main source of eveyrhintg going aroung wil L&F, interscope are just distributers.) who is making the decisions? Is it will that puts up the marketing plan or does he have a staff or something?

Yeah, i also agree with tim on that. And i get it if will doesn't wanna release tell me why now. But he could atleast release it to the radio.

Another thing i'm curious about is the management with will.

Now that he's on his own label (again, overbrooke is the main source of eveyrhintg going aroung wil L&F, interscope are just distributers.) who is making the decisions? Is it will that puts up the marketing plan or does he have a staff or something?

Dunno, perhaps Omar is helping him.

i cant believe all this talk about switch not being a hit! I agree with what Tim said about the radio stations. The only reason it hasnt made a big impact is bcoz radio stations are too stubborn to play it. ppl have rang and requested it and they dont play it bcoz they say ppl dont want to hear Will anymore. What so all those ppl that spent there money on the single dont wanna hear it?

Plus its a big tune in the clubs, i saw it played in 3 consecutive clubs and it got as big a reaction as hey ya and crazy in love. Just bcoz u dont hear it on the radio doesnt mean it isnt a hit, a few DJs cant determine how good a song is. The fact that switch sold so much without as much play as other songs just make it a bigger hit, a song has to be damn good to sell with little promotion.

What i want more than anythign else is a tour and i want lost and found to do well. I'd rather Will get another grammy than an oscar. Theres plenty on time for movies, the time for music is now.

Oh and ive got switch as my ringtune.

i cant believe all this talk about switch not being a hit! I agree with what Tim said about the radio stations. The only reason it hasnt made a big impact is bcoz radio stations are too stubborn to play it. ppl have rang and requested it and they dont play it bcoz they say ppl dont want to hear Will anymore. What so all those ppl that spent there money on the single dont wanna hear it?

Plus its a big tune in the clubs, i saw it played in 3 consecutive clubs and it got as big a reaction as hey ya and crazy in love. Just bcoz u dont hear it on the radio doesnt mean it isnt a hit, a few DJs cant determine how good a song is. The fact that switch sold so much without as much play as other songs just make it a bigger hit, a song has to be damn good to sell with little promotion.

What i want more than anythign else is a tour and i want lost and found to do well. I'd rather Will get another grammy than an oscar. Theres plenty on time for movies, the time for music is now.

Oh and ive got switch as my ringtune.

Nobody said it ain't a hit, I said it ain't a buzz hit.

We don't know about when exactly this film is gonna start shooting like Aj said. Things can happen things can change. Hey maybe Will will do the Pursuit of Happiness then a tour. I read sum articles about Will and it seems like he really wants to do this film. :angel:

We don't know about when exactly this film is gonna start shooting like Aj said. Things can happen things can change. Hey maybe Will will do the Pursuit of Happiness then a tour. I read sum articles about Will and it seems like he really wants to do this film. :angel:

Pursuit of Happiness smells title song ^^

God Blessa!

That's a bit much if you mean nonstop. That means 2 or three years without a new movie...

Will can still record inbetween films... perhaps even inbetween shooting... I'm content with that.

Well I'm not. Will can do whatever he wants, but I want him to do less movies and more music. Lost and Found is a great album, so I want more. I can take L&F with me anywhere. I can take I, Robot with me anywhere, and I don't want to, to be honest.

I'd like another album before another movie. If Will just keeps going in and out of music then his name doesn't stay in the minds of people when they think about music. Fact is that the people on these boards who have been a community together for years have waited for years in between album after album. So of course I wanna see an album right after an album. Instead of the juggling that I'm so used to seeing.

God Blessa!

Lost and Found is a great album... you definitely should want more... But Will's involvement in movies doesn't prevent him from writing and recording. I've made this argument already, but I'l reiterate... The Lost and Found tracks that we have now were written during the time Will was filming I, Robot, Hitch, and recording for Shark Tale. His involvement in movies didn't prevent him from writing a little over 50 tracks for the album. What the movies will prevent Will from doing is touring. That should be the real concern for those who want Will to do a US or world tour. But doing movies shouldn't affect much outside of the hip hop appearances.

Also, if Will just keeps going in and out of movies, his name won't stay in the minds of people when they think about movies. In the US, we have a saying... "same difference." Therefore, Will does need to juggle. It's essential if he wants to stay in the forefront of the film industry as well as trying to stay in the music industry. If Will doesn't do a movie for 2 years and then comes out with something like Wild Wild West after that time... his movie career will suffer. Tom Cruise, Denzel, Halle, Tom Hanks... they don't disappear for 2 years and then come out with another movie. They keep it constant so that if something does come out a dud, they can rebound quickly.

Keep in mind, I'm not advocating movies over the music. I want Will to release music more frequently as well, but he's no longer just a recording artist. He's a top attraction in the film industry as well now. This is not Ice Cube we're talking about.

Movies and music are not the same. Chris Tucker hasn't done a movie in years. When people think of him, they think of his movies. Will even said it himself. He can't do his best if he's not concentrating on one of them. And I want him to concentrate on music. Simple as that.

And I'm in the US. When people say "same difference" it's because they said something wrong in the first place when they meant something else. I have no idea why you think that has anything to do with him juggling two careers. You sound like Will's agent or something.

God Blessa!

I'd rather Will get another grammy than an oscar. Theres plenty on time for movies, the time for music is now.

Ok... I think people are underestimating exactly what an oscar means, how rare it is to win one, and even more so, how rare it is for a black actor to win one, so let me clarify. Musicians can win multiple grammies in one night. I'm assuming that Will will win multiple grammies for Tell Me Why and Party Starter... If you've released a hit album, you're usually almost guaranteed a grammy or at least a grammy nomination. Actors in some of the best films don't even get nominated for oscars less win them. Just recently, Don Cheadle did an outstanding job in Hotel Rwanda. I'm talking... his performance would make you cry, it was that powerful. He was nominated, but he didn't win an oscar. Will didn't win an Oscar for Ali though his performace was wonderful... Winning an Oscar is rare, especially if you're a black actor in Hollywood. It is coveted greatly and not something to be taken lightly. We're talking about the pinnacle of movie excellence.

• Admin

hey Maxfly Will finished filming Hitch in March 2004.. he then spent from April 2004 to March 2005 on Lost and Found focused solely on music..the only track he recorded while he was still doing movies was Tell Me Why.. he says it in here he comes..no time conflicts with movies or a sitcom for this album.. I think that is one of the reasons why its so good.. still if Will did 2 movies a year which take 3-4 months to make..that still leaves him 3-4 months where he could record an album with jazzy! i'm hoping we dont have to wait another 3 years for the next album.. Frenetic where are you? in Australia switch is on the radio on the music video channels being played everywhere one of the top 5 ringtone downloads..the singles are racing off the shelves next week it should go to #1 and it will definitely go gold..

An Oscar is worth a LOT more than a grammy. It's a lot more common in the music industry for somebody to get a grammy then it is for somebody in Hollywood to get an Oscar.

When people think of Will in movies, they think of Will in all of these action blockbusters (I Robot, Bad Boys, Independence Day). I'm sure Will is fine with that, but I'm also sure that he wouldn't mind being taken a little more seriously as an actor. If he wins an Oscar, that's what his acting career will be remembered as. The Pursuit of Hapiness is a movie Will needs for his movie career.

God Blessa!

God Blessa!

Movies and music are not the same. Chris Tucker hasn't done a movie in years. When people think of him, they think of his movies. Will even said it himself. He can't do his best if he's not concentrating on one of them. And I want him to concentrate on music. Simple as that.

And I'm in the US. When people say "same difference" it's because they said something wrong in the first place when they meant something else. I have no idea why you think that has anything to do with him juggling two careers. You sound like Will's agent or something.

God Blessa!

And I would rather that he focus on the two equally. I, Robot and Hitch were hot and Lost and Found is one of the best hip hop albums to come out in years. If he can keep that kind of success, I'll be happy. Simple as that.

• Admin

lets remember his more dramatic roles Ali and The Legend of Bagger Vance were Box Office failures..i dont think theres any point in doin a serious movie just to try and get an oscar or something..only do it if the scripts good.. personally i think he should do another jerry bruckheimer movie :antlers: johnny depp got nominated for an oscar for pirates of the carribean..im sure Will could do sumthin like that..a movie thats entertaining, a box office smash..and gets the critical praise/oscar nod...

but seriously who cares about an oscar? they never give it to any good movies anyway..i'd rather Will do a good enjoyable movie first and foremost

hey Maxfly Will finished filming Hitch in March 2004.. he then spent from April 2004 to March 2005 on Lost and Found focused solely on music..the only track he recorded while he was still doing movies was Tell Me Why.. he says it in here he comes..no time conflicts with movies or a sitcom for this album.. I think that is one of the reasons why its so good.. still if Will did 2 movies a year which take 3-4 months to make..that still leaves him 3-4 months where he could record an album with jazzy! i'm hoping we dont have to wait another 3 years for the next album.. Frenetic where are you? in Australia switch is on the radio on the music video channels being played everywhere one of the top 5 ringtone downloads..the singles are racing off the shelves next week it should go to #1 and it will definitely go gold..

Thanks for correcting me Tim.

So Will is going to have done a year and 4 months without filming... focused solely on music? Cause if it's like that, all this talk of him "rushing" back into movies is unfounded. In this case, he would have already taken almost a year and a half away from film. Am I correct?

Edited by MaxFly