JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

MUST RELEASE "WHY" NOW!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bigted, I know that you so badly want the past to come back. But reality is, it's never going to come back. What we have now is just a different flavour of hip-hop. Agreed that 90's rap was amazing and nothing can ever replace it. But then some of the present artists are also in their own individual way trying their best. Nobody is blind or anything if they see the present hip-hop and find it enjoyable. It's just that people have different tastes in rap.

Rap/hip-hop is not limited to only a certain artists, but it is a wide spectrum of different varieties of talents. So real hip-hop doesn't mean it only includes KRS 1, Rakim, etc. but it can also include 50 Cent, Eminem, etc. There is nothing wrong with it. You need not be a fan or anything of the current hip-hoppers, but maybe you should try and include some of the other artists too in the hip-hop world. Don't you think? :thumb:

Edited by bigted

EEEHM...

Keep switch in cause i got GOOD news

In the Dutch Top 40 Switch-Will Smith is No. 4 !!!!

:ridepony:  :ridepony:  :ridepony: HIHA

Good Job Will :thumb:

I think herein lies the misconception. No one is talking about getting rid of Switch or taking it out When an artist releases a new song, their previous songs aren't automatically taken off the charts, the radio stations, or the music television stations. Each song is treated separately with no real attention paid to the artist responsible. So when Tell Me Why is released, Switch will not be taken out of rotation. Just wanted to make that clear just in case anyone believed that this is the way it works.

Secondly, with the numbers that have come out this week, does anyone still want to say that a Tell Me Why release should be delayed? Does anyone still want to contend that switch is helping the album to sell well?

Edited by MaxFly

• Members

Mostly shooting a video and putting it out would take atleast two months time. So it would probably take atleast till June end to maybe expect something from Big Willie.

ok lets say tell me why doesnt get released for another 2 months and lost and found does plummet (sp?) in sales. What difference will that actually make in sales, ok it will be sad for it to fall out of the chart, BUT surely the same amount of ppl are gonna buy the album after hearing tell me why, weather they hear it now or in another 2 months. This is what i dont get, if some1 has an answer for this, i'll be the first one to say fair enough it needs to come out now, but i cant see what difference it will make.

Anyways whatever happens, i know for sure tell me why isnt gonna get played over here for a while, not while switch is doing so well (which it really is). Theres a reason why artists dont have 2 singles in the top ten at the same time (in the uk, but i know they do sometimes in the us).

ok lets say tell me why doesnt get released for another 2 months and lost and found does plummet (sp?) in sales. What difference will that actually make in sales, ok it will be sad for it to fall out of the chart, BUT surely the same amount of ppl are gonna buy the album after hearing tell me why, weather they hear it now or in another 2 months. This is what i dont get, if some1 has an answer for this, i'll be the first one to say fair enough it needs to come out now, but i cant see what difference it will make.

Anyways whatever happens, i know for sure tell me why isnt gonna get played over here for a while, not while switch is doing so well (which it really is). Theres a reason why artists dont have 2 singles in the top ten at the same time (in the uk, but i know they do sometimes in the us).

As well as Switch is doing in the UK as a single, it's not helping Lost and Found in album sales. I think that's safe to say that. Most people don't read the reviews on albums, so it's understandable that most people will think, basing their opinions on what they've heard so far, that most of Lost and Found will sound like Switch. And while people may like Switch, they'll be content with just buying the single or hearing it in the club as opposed to going out and buying the whole album.

You asked what the difference would be if Tell Me Why were released now and if it were released in 2 months, the same number of people would buy it. That's not entirely true. You have to take into account the fact that more artists will be releasing albums over the next few months. Initial sales are usually high, so it would be easy for Lost and Found, which was released at the end of March, to fade into obscurity over the summer if it doesn't have a single to keep it in the forefront. You don't want the album to dip, and then try to come back, dip once again, and then try to come back again. It's much smarter to keep it on a level selling path. This helps to keep interest in the album high. Chances are that after a significant dip, a single won't be able to help it recover. Keeping an album in the forefront helps it sell a lot more easily than allowing it to fade and then try to bring it back in 2 months.

Switch has been on the US charts for 10 weeks. It's only been on the UK charts for 6 weeks. That's a month's difference. If Tell Me Why were released now in the US, theoretically, you guys in the UK wouldn't see it for a month and there would be no effect of Switch's performance on the charts for a month. However, if it is released in a month here in the US, the UK probably wouldn't see Tell Me Why until July. That's 2 months from now. I'm assuming that in 2 months, Switch will not be in the top 20 in the UK. In a month's time here in the US, Switch will not be in the top 30... That's a problem for the album. We want to keep a single from the album in the top 20 at least for the duration of the spring and the summer to ensure that interest in the album is constant.

Edited by MaxFly

MaxFly summed up my thoughts perfectly. I wonder what is going on behind-the-scenes. First off, FP's gotta stop this international shows thing unless its on a tour. He needs to get his ass back in the US and start promoting more.

"Tell Me Why" or "Party Starter" needs to be dropped NOW! Get the damn video taped already.

First off, FP's gotta stop this international shows thing unless its on a tour. He needs to get his ass back in the US and start promoting more.

"Tell Me Why" or "Party Starter" needs to be dropped NOW! Get the damn video taped already.

:hilarious: LOL

Yeah I agree u!

The thing with the singles, ask 50 Cent about this one! I think he hasn't only got two singles at one time in da charts, he has four or maybe even more... :werd:

The ultimate scenario:

Will releases Tell Me Why to radio at the end of this month. Video and Single released in the beginning of June. Tell me why get's huge and goes to the top.5 in almost every country in the world. Lost and found keeps and weekly sale around 40-50k. Then part ystarter is released by the end of the summer, get's huge too, everybody's bumping it in the club. Sales go around 30k a week. and then, Will get nominated for awards at MTV, Vh1, grammys and so on, he performs at awards shows like that. Sales keep up around 30k. That would be: 30k a week rest of the year= approximately: 950.000. that would mean it going platinum.

Worst scenario:

Tell me why is released in august, lost and found isn't hot anymore, sales doesn't boost, but they do keep up around 10k a week. third single is released way too late and maybe even a bad song. No hit, sales go down to like 5-9k a week, until the album is forgotten by the end of the fall. Means album won't even go gold.