JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Black Radio & Tell Me Why

Hero1

Will Black Radio play Tell Me Why?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Will Black Radio play Tell Me Why?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn I'm not sure. I think yeah they will cause of Mary J. But then again I hear it from urban or black radio the only thing he did go was Summertime. I guess not will be my answer.

i actually think they will, simply because it's just one of THOSE songs, you know? it's like the messages are too deep to ignore, and Mary's vocals are CRAZY...i'll def. have an ear out to WGCI, which is one of the largest black radio stations here in Chicago, (for anyone who doesn't know), if they don't ....it'll def. be their loss

Edited by willjadafan

I think it will. If the song is a success at all, i think it will hit "black radio." Think about it, the topic is universal...it's bigger than Hip-Hop. Besides, the song is really good and Mary J. Blige is on it. I think it's a good single choice...even if i think summer is 2 early 4 it.

There's no doubt that it'll hit black radio, it has better chance of getting airplay 'cause it ain't the typical "Big Willie Style" pop rap song.

They better, but I have a feeling they won't. Black radio only plays black R&B artists or hardcore thugged-out rappers. Since Will is none of those, and is "too white" in their minds, they will pass on playing him.

I don't know. I have to say that the message is more important than the messenger... Black radio as a whole is very stubborn... but they're not entirely ignorant. I don't think... I guess I should say... I hope they're not petty enough to avoid playing "Tell Me Why" just because it's a Will Smith track... I heard Jada's "Why" everywhere and it was simply ridiculous (if you're gonna criticize the president, do it right). Will's going to win a grammy for this, no contest... and black radio will look very foolish when people are like, "I never heard this track... this is hot... the radio stations are falling off..." If this is the case, people will discover something some of us have known for years... there's more to music than 50 and 'lil Jon.

the fact that some hiphop stations are playing Switch is a nice change. But honestly guys, "Tell me why" should not be the 2nd single. the timing isn't right. He should come out with a party track for the summer, then bring it out in the fall. Also, Will is slow with coming out with singles. I hate to use 50cent as an example, but he leaked like 4 singles even before the Massacre came out. The Game has 2 definite singles, but he always has "unofficial" singles from his CD that radio stations are playin. It helps a lot to make ppl get the feel for the rest of the album. It wouldn't hurt Will to do the same. For example, if Will puts out "Party Starter" as the 2nd single, then in the middle of it's run, he could leak "tell Me Why" to the radio stations. This way, if ppl hear it and like it, the demand and the hype for the video will be bigger. That's my take on it.