JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

NEXT 2PAC ALBUM WILL BE THE LAST

I got the article below from VH1.com. It's a shame they are gonna stop releasing 2Pac albums, but at the same time, those albums have slightly tarnished his legacy. The average production and crappy new guest artists have totally taken his music in a direction it wasn't intended to go. Hopefully they will at one time release the oringal vesions of his library of work. Maybe a proper remix album (unlike the one Deathrow did) an a video collection (which has NEVER been released). Anyways, here's the article...

http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1500355/2...?headlines=true

04.18.2005 9:33 PM EDT

Tupac's Mom Renovates Foundation Center, Says Next LP Will Be The Last

Foundation is renovating its performing-arts center in Georgia.

by Hillary Crosley, with reporting by Rahman Dukes

NEW YORK — Afeni Shakur, mother of slain icon Tupac Shakur, has spent the last several years keeping her son's name alive. And although the trove of unreleased music from the rapper seems to be reaching its end — Afeni said the last album of unreleased material will come out next year — she's renovating the Tupac Amaru Shakur Foundation's Peace Memorial Garden and Visitors Center in Stone Mountain, Georgia, in the hope of establishing a more lasting memorial.

Though Afeni has been remembering her son with annual concerts around his June 16 birthday, she and her partners in the foundation felt that more could be done.

"When Tupac died, the first year and afterward, we thought the way to celebrate him was to have concerts and events every June in Georgia," Ms. Shakur explained. "And after we spent so much money and only affected the people right there, we decided we'd build a foundation and work with young people on an ongoing basis."

Each summer, the foundation holds a performing-arts camp for children suffering from troubled home lives. The camp, which is set on nine recently renovated acres of countryside in Stone Mountain, Georgia (a suburb of Atlanta where Afeni resides), will be formally reopened on June 10. Afeni, a former Black Panther and a recovered drug addict, referenced her own tumultuous past when describing the foundation's main goal.

"When Tupac was 13 and I was homeless," she said, "Tupac was in the 127th Street Ensemble [theater group] right here in New York. Those people, I believe, saved his life. So what we try to do is be that for the next generation of young people."

Next year, Afeni said she intends to place a life-size sculpture of Tupac at the garden's entrance.

Meanwhile, a video with a stark message has been released for "Ghetto Gospel," the recent single from Tupac's posthumous LP Loyal to the Game (see "Eminem 'Went Crazy' With Tupac's A Cappellas For Loyal To The Game"). The clip, directed by Nzingha Stewart, is about a young man who dies, while his mother mourns the loss and recognizes that the destructive pattern continues. The video reflects Afeni's own concerns.

"This year, Tupac would've been 34 years old," she said. "He died when he'd just made 25. I perceive a crisis in young people and I want to share my concern. The most important thing for young people is to stay alive."

Afeni is also working on an as-of-yet-untitled film detailing Tupac's early life, as well as a traveling Broadway play. Author Quentin Skinner has also written a biography of the rapper, which will be published later this year.

"[Loyal to the Game] will have no more singles," Afeni said. "We'll do a spoken-word album this year, and next year we'll do the final unreleased song album for Tupac.

"And then we're going to beg you all to come and see us at the [Peace Memorial Garden and Visiting] Center."

This report is provided by MTV News

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Actually Loyal To The Game should have been the last album. I'm surprised as to how there could be another album. Because I have almost every one of Tupac bootleg tracks and hence it has to be mostly old forgotten B-sides that is being re-released with a different title. I think there are only 4 or 5 tracks that hasn't made the cut yet.

Anyways, Afeni should not release any more 2 Pac albums because Better Dayz and Loyal To The Game is just a disgrace to what he stood for. Especially Eminem completely destroyed the new album because he made it into a complete mess, specially with tracks like Ghetto Gospel, Loyal To The Game, but most importantly Thug 4 Life, which is a fantastic song. As you can see from the bonus tracks, which wasn't produced by Slim, is just a treat to listen to.

It really pisses me off that the unreleased tracks, instead of getting remastered, has completely gotten remixed and sounds terrible.

Yeah, the remixed trax are killing his legacy. Loyal To The Game waz ruined by Eminem, hands down. The trax they chose were great, but Eminem's producing sucked. Only 3 or 4 of the trax were done properly. Did anyone notice that the remixed bonus trax at the end of the album were better than all the tracks Eminem did? I think Better Days would have been a very good album if it waz just a single-disc album with all the really good tracks and just a few of the filler tracks. Same with Until The End of Time. They all had stand out trax, but got slightly swallowed with all the boring production. They handled Loyal To The Game correctly by making it a single disc, but went wrong with Eminem...real wrong.

• Members

its about time

they just wanted 2 get as much money as they can from his death...

bside im a Biggie fan so its good news 4 me :cwm: :antlers:

Edited by Mc-Bad Boy

wow that's really sad. i actually liked Better Dayz. it's a shame that the new producers and coming in and messin up Pac's image. it's gonna be really hard not 2 have more 2Pac stuff released cuz i look 4ward 2 it so much and enjoy it so much every year. i guess it is time tho, cuz the albums have been steadily declining over the years

It shouldn't really be his last cuz there's a lot of useful material. Most people can get their hands on the originals if they keep track of what they got. The albums after death really weren't bad to me. Then Eminem did it and it was the worst.

There is this one producer named Assassin who is releasing a cd called "The Way He Wanted It". I guess it' remastered to sound better. It's got all the original collaborations and producers. It's nto sold in stores that I know of but it is sold online. Definately worth getting.

I Dont See How Producing the trax can ruin his legacy, yea eminem is wack, but the beats for better dayz are dope, im listenin to the album right now, 2pacs legacy will always live on with the lyrics he has rapped over the ten years of his death. i believe it is about time for 2pac albums to stop being released.....but im still a huge pac fan and always will be!!

• Members

Do you honestly feel that 2 Pac would have worked with Eminem, Nas, G-Unit, Jazze Pha, etc? No way. Also Eminem had nothing to do with Better Dayz.

Anyways, if you listened to the original versions of most of the tracks in Better Dayz, they all are far better than the remixed ones.

2Pac's mom wazn't releasing his music just 2 make money!! 2Pac has a big following (behind all the bandwagon fans) and she put that all of that out just for the fans. 2Pac had alot of things 2 say, and when his life got cut short, a big voice was taken away. That's something u can't say about Biggie...at least not on that level.

Some of those remixed trax were good, but overall, they tarnished his legacy. They should have let 2Pac's original producers handle it. Shock-G, Johnny J, Easy Mo Be, Soulshock + Karlin (SoulPower) would have kept his music what it waz intended 2 be, even if it waz remixed.

Guest Guest_VIPA

Good, because Eminem was starting to kill his stuff...badly. He BETTER not be part of this project. Honestly...eminems production ruiend "Loyal to the Game" for me.

• Members

Good, because Eminem was starting to kill his stuff...badly. He BETTER not be part of this project. Honestly...eminems production ruiend "Loyal to the Game" for me.

Eminem's anything ruined music

...Some of those remixed trax were good, but overall, they tarnished his legacy. They should have let 2Pac's original producers handle it. Shock-G, Johnny J, Easy Mo Be, Soulshock + Karlin (SoulPower) would have kept his music what it waz intended 2 be, even if it waz remixed.

:werd: Well that's what they should do on this final album, have them produce the entire album and none of today's pop rappers should be allowed to get on it, I think we should get some of the living legends like KRS-ONE, FP, Rakim, and LL Cool J on this album, it'd only be fitting.

That's not good to hear, I always look foward to new tupac releases. I was extremely disappointed with Loyal to the Game though, Eminem's production really wasnt very good and not deserving to be on a Tupac album, the Scott Storch track was by far the best track on the album. I was impressed by Runnin from the Ressurection soundtrack so was hoping that this album would be of similar quality.

Until The End of Time & Better Dayz both had some really good tracks and were definitely worth getting. Both the recent Death Row cds (remix & live) were a complete waste of money.

I would like to see a new tupac album released that is handled properly if it is to be the last.

Surely they must be running out of recorded material by Pac anyway. Its porobably best they end it soon because sooner or later you'll be getting a record of rhymes that just don't show how good he was. All his best stuff would have already been out.