JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

And In This Corner

Lerkot

Well I reviewed Homebase a couple of weeks ago and I think Im going to review all the albums track by track, not only to express what I think but even to create discussions about the album...

Then She Bit Me has kind of an modern sound if you compare with many of the other tracks on the album. The track is very strange but the lyrics are pretty good anyway. Would be nice if someone remixed the track because it has to be freshened up soon. I like it anyhow½

I Think I Can Beat Mike Tyson most be the worst JJFP single. Its a very nice idea but the large amount of playing with the voices is just very disturbing. The music video is kind of good tho, but they could have made this track way better.

Jazzy's Groove is one of my favorites in the album. Its very groovy (okey, bad joke). The rhymes are cool and of course the beat is pretty fantastic in my opinion. The lines in the track are pretty long but FP has a speedy tempo and in the third verse he uses Jazzy in a really good way. Very good track!

Everything That Glitters is a typical storytelling track were FP uses his voice in a way he doesnt do on any other track. I cant describe how but its pretty cool I gotta say. The track is not something I would put on a greatest hits, but clearly decent. Very jazzy beat which is a good thing in my opinion :)

You Got It (Donut) - havent heard it because I forgot the album at my summer house..

The Girlie Had A Moustach sounds a little 1987ish but its a good track. Many of the rhymes are just fine, like the opening one, so simple but still so nice to hear. This song is underrated as hell and the humour is classic FP-style. The topic of the song is really crazy too, and thats always funny.

The Reverend is in my opinion one of the absolute greatest JJFP hits through all time, which makes is the best track on the album. Very cool beat combined with smooth rhymes (some of them are actually very good), pretty funny without being silly. Very very good, a top 10 JJFP-song!

Who Stole My Car is nice storytelling but the beat is old and simple. Nice dialogues between Jazzy and Prince and the humour is great but at the same time the song makes some kind of moral point. Good track, but could be better.

The Men of Your Dreams is almost a little sexistic but in a really cool way. Overall the track is not that good, the beat is not that good and personally theres no rhyme that gets on to my brain. Lots of Jeff speaking is always nice, but he doesnt say very much of quality.

Numero Uno is a totally pointless tracking telling us the stuff we already know. The beat is not much to hang in a christmas tree and the rhymes makes me sleep. I dislike this track.

Too Damn Hype is a little bit of a classic in some way, even tho I think its pretty bad but its nice to hear this introduction to the Too Damn Hype posse. A bad thing with the track is the chorus that couldnt have been more boring.

Jeff Waz On The Beat Box is very good track with a amazing beat and scratching, plus the lyrics are fine as hell too. Sure we'd like to see an 2005 version of this one. By the way Tim, what about fixing the chorus in the lyrics section? To me it sounds exactly its "(While?) I continue to rock, while Jeff was on the beat box". Well well, cool track.

To sum it up, this is the third greatest JJFP album. It has some weaknesses but I think the tracks Jazzys Groove, Jeff Waz On The Beat Box and The Reverend is a good reason to place this album over Homebase and Rock The House.

wow, u just reviewed that album pretty well, i would have reviewed it that way more or less, and u thought it was they're 3rd best album? i thought it was their worst, so u must be a really tough reviewer of JJFP to say u disliked 3 or so tracks and still have it be the 3rd best!

some points i agreed with:

- I Think I Can Beat Mike Tyson was one of the worser singles and gets old quick

-The Girlie Had a Mustache is a fine track in my opinion too, i like it a lot

-Jeff Waz on The Beat Box is an incredible track, i love the verses!

some points i disagreed with:

-i wasn't impressed by Everything That Glitters at all, it's a good story but i wasnt a big fan of the beat

-The Reverend is a very average, feel good JJFP track, but not one of the albsolute greatest of all time!!

-Who Stole My Car was just boring 2 me, i didn't like it that much

-i though Jeff's rhymes were dope on Men of Your Dreams

-Numero Uno is a very good track in my opinion, altho it does get old after a while

overall, this was my least favorite JJFP album and i would give it either 2.5 or 3 stars out of 5.

• Members

well most of you know how much i love And In This Corner..., i just think it's fantastic, love the beats and lyrics. I believe it's a great all-round album, and it always manages to cheer me up when i'm down!

thank you finally someone else who likes this album

And In This Corner is my favorite JJFP album

I think i like mike tyson great song great lyrics hilarious

thats the only part of ur little review that got me upset

I think ill do one of these reviews myself

U JUST WAIT :blabla: But seriously its coming :hilarious:

is it a joke or it true :confused3:

I'll be reviewing The entrie lost & found cd

Edited by bagotrasho

"And In This Corner..." is my sometimes 3rd/4th favorite JJFP album. This album is really underrated but I guess you had to be down with JJFP back in '89 to feel this better. In '89 the rap world was in the beginining of a change, thats why this album didnt go platinum. I believe it sold 900,000. Maybe it woulda done better if it was released in 1986 or something. "Then She Bit Me" is my least-favorite JJFP track. It's so boring to listen to. "I Think I Can Beat Mike Tyson" was a bad choice for a lead single. It was a moderate hit and the video was hillarious but just not something to play at a party or have a good time. "Jazzys Groove" was my favorite JJFP song when I first got this album Classic JJFP. "Numero Uno"/"Too Damn Hype"/"Jeff Was On The Beatbox" should've been the 1st single. Those songs are amazing. FP is just spittin fire on those tracks with Jazzy backing him up.

This was the album with more story-telling than anything. It also seems like it didn't really fit in with the time and current state of rap. If they used more beats like on "Men Of Your Dreams" then maybe it would've done better.