JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Best Rap Album

bagotrasho

That list is more like the "obvious" picks. We could argue for days and days of what's top 10. There's certainly a diversity what artists people liked more than some others back then.

Nowadays, there's little variety to choice from that's got some mainstream exposer.

Edited by mfuqua23

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it's just like Will says on "I Wish I Made That":

"I know you love me, even though you place other rappers above me"

All the rappers that have fame now do the same thing, personally I see the creativity getting overlooked ever since "The Chronic" album came out, there was artists like Redman, Naughty By Nature, and Outkast comin' out as new artists but were ignored 'cause "The Chronic" was the only album on top of the charts, it's a great album, but hip-hop can't be one dimensional, there's too many wannabe gangsta rappers out as a result from that album. :nono:

It's sorta like how Jazzy Jeff said in "The Real Deal" article on this site, the differences between now and then:

"I think there was a lot more, I don't want to say "creativity," but it just seems like there was a lot more diversity. People were just really open and wanted to do new stuff, and try innovative things back then. You could have a tour with Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, Run-DMC, Public Enemy, and everybody has an audience, and everybody loves everybody. Everyone was making money, but everyone was having so much fun. Then, the rivalries in hip-hop were about "I'm the best DJ" or "I'm the best MC." It just seems now that's it's about "I have more money" and "no, I have more money." Where did all the skill level go? Now it's like the best rapper is the one that makes the most money "

Edited by bigted

I have a view...

LL Cool J-Radio

LL Cool J-Mr.Smith

LL Cool J-Mama Said Knock You Out

LL Cool J-The G.O.A.T

JJFP-Homebase

Jigga-The Black Album

Dr.Dre-The Chronic

Dr.Dre-2001

Snoop Doggy Dogg-Doggystyle

N.W.A-Straight Outta Compton

Boogie Down Productions-By All Means Necesairy

Eric.B And Rakim-Paid In Full

And that are just the Classic`s...

Edited by Turntable

I've got LL Cool J- G.O.A.T. and I have one question: how can you like him? what am I missing? I know everyone got different taste and all, but I just can't see the greateness in this album.. maybe someone could explain and help me understand it all...

"The G.O.A.T." is a great album, it helped LL gained a lot of credablity back in hip-hop when people were callin' him soft, why would a rookie rapper like Cannibus wanna challenge a veteran like LL, he should've picked on other rookie rappers comin' out like Ja Rule instead, LL silenced critics sorta like Will's done here with "Lost and Found", they should do a remix to "I Wish I Made That", but one bad thing I could say about the "G.O.A.T." is that there's too many guest appearances, but those guest appearances worked 'cause I like DMX, Snoop Dogg, Method Man, Carl Thomas, Xzibit, and Redman, and it wasn't like they outshined LL, he dominated on that album, crazy energy, I swear I must've played that album everyday for about a year after I bought it the day it was released, although he came pretty strong on his other albums too, but this album solidfied him as the greatest of all time, "Radio", "Mama Said Knock You Out", and "Mr. Smith" are among his other classics, all of his others are above average, I don't see many catalogs topping his! :afro: :ali: This verse in "Where I Belong" is legendary to the way he addresses all the haters:

"The other night I was up at Farmers, politican wit some bloods

They told me "yo L, in the streets you aint gettin no Love

And Ever since the X's and the Jiggas came out

my niggas aint tryin to the hear that smooth s*** you talk about

What's Up wit that cat Canibus, some played you out

Why you didn't answer back correctly, f*** was that about?"

as I sip on some henny, and try to explain some things

about the life of a legend, and all the Drama it brings

been gone a long time, had a lot of s*** on my mind

I decided I don't want to reach my goal if it means losing my shine

Streets is Hip-hop and I'm Hip-Hop, so the streets is Mine

Ballin' as long as you been livin', that's a long time

Hard to Stay hungry when your pockets are so fat

You hit a hot one in every city on the map

And niggas keep sleepin' and you keep coming back

You know better than the gat, but niggas still wanna clap"

I personally don't get why anyone would be stupid enough to diss LL, he's still sellin' as much as Nas and Jay-Z are on the charts, and he's been going platinum since they were 13 years old and they were watching and admiring him, Jay-Z even said in an interview that LL's his favorite rapper.

Edited by bigted

If I was working for MTV, I would came up with this list, these are the top 10 all-time albums to me:

1-Public Enemy "It Takes A Nation Of Millions..."

2-Eric B. and Rakim "Paid In Full"

3-KRS-ONE "Return Of Da Boom Bap"

4-Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince "He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper"

5-Run-Dmc "Raising Hell"

6-Slick Rick "The Great Adventures Of Slick Rick"

7-BDP "Criminal Minded"

8-Nas "Illmatic"

9-LL Cool J "Mama Said Knock You Out"

10-Queen Latifah "Black Reign"

I like the idea of breaking down top 10 each decade better though, I think that'd give credit to more artists that made impact and less would get snubbed

Hey I noticed that they're making a list at the okayplayer board for the top 25 hip-hop albums ever and 50 people voted post their lists so far and I noticed I was the only one to post a JJFP album! :nono: :confused3: I'm also offended that only 2 people put any of LL's albums on their top 25 lists, I saw more peeps giving 50 Cent and Eminem props! :mad8:

Edited by bigted

How about we make a list of Best Hip Hop albums! Everybody can make their list of 10 fav hip hop albums...and then we will put them together to make a top 10! What do you think?

Good idea, I made my top 10 list already, everybody should post theirs here!

here's my top 10 from the very limited selection of rap that i listen 2:

acutally let's ignore this list. i clearly wasnt thinkin when i made it and i left a lot of my favorites out LOL. maybe i'll make another one sometime soon

Edited by reborn2reign

here's mine:

10. Nas - Stillmatic

9. Jay-z - The Blueprint

8. Dj Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince - He's The Dj, I'm The Rapper

7. Slick Rick - The Great Adventures Of Slick Rick

6. Snoop Dogg - Doggystyle

5. Kanye West - College Dropout

4. Will Smith - Lost & Found

3. Erik B & Rakim - Paid In Full

2. Dj Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince - Code Red

1. Nas - Illmatic

"The G.O.A.T." is a great album, it helped LL gained a lot of credablity back in hip-hop when people were callin' him soft, why would a rookie rapper like Cannibus wanna challenge a veteran like LL, he should've picked on other rookie rappers comin' out like Ja Rule instead, LL silenced critics sorta like Will's done here with "Lost and Found", they should do a remix to "I Wish I Made That", but one bad thing I could say about the "G.O.A.T." is that there's too many guest appearances, but those guest appearances worked 'cause I like DMX, Snoop Dogg, Method Man, Carl Thomas, Xzibit, and Redman, and it wasn't like they outshined LL, he dominated on that album, crazy energy, I swear I must've played that album everyday for about a year after I bought it the day it was released, although he came pretty strong on his other albums too, but this album solidfied him as the greatest of all time, "Radio", "Mama Said Knock You Out", and "Mr. Smith" are among his other classics, all of his others are above average, I don't see many catalogs topping his! :afro: :ali: This verse in "Where I Belong" is legendary to the way he addresses all the haters:

They told me "yo L, in the streets you aint gettin no Love

as I sip on some henny, and try to explain some things

I personally don't get why anyone would be stupid enough to diss LL, he's still sellin' as much as Nas and Jay-Z are on the charts, and he's been going platinum since they were 13 years old and they were watching and admiring him, Jay-Z even said in an interview that LL's his favorite rapper.

I love you man.... :angel:

I couldn`t say it better myself :dancingcool:

"The G.O.A.T." is a great album, it helped LL gained a lot of credablity back in hip-hop when people were callin' him soft, why would a rookie rapper like Cannibus wanna challenge a veteran like LL, he should've picked on other rookie rappers comin' out like Ja Rule instead, LL silenced critics sorta like Will's done here with "Lost and Found", they should do a remix to "I Wish I Made That",  but one bad thing I could say about the "G.O.A.T." is that there's too many guest appearances, but those guest appearances worked 'cause I like DMX, Snoop Dogg, Method Man, Carl Thomas, Xzibit, and Redman, and it wasn't like they outshined LL, he dominated on that album, crazy energy, I swear I must've played that album everyday for about a year after I bought it the day it was released, although he came pretty strong on his other albums too, but this album solidfied him as the greatest of all time, "Radio", "Mama Said Knock You Out", and "Mr. Smith" are among his other classics, all of his others are above average, I don't see many catalogs topping his!  :afro:  :ali: This verse in "Where I Belong" is legendary to the way he addresses all the haters:

They told me  "yo L, in the streets you aint gettin no Love

as I sip on some henny,  and try to explain some things

I love you man.... :angel:

I couldn`t say it better myself :dancingcool:

Well LL's my 2nd favorite mc, I stick up for him anytime, good to see another LL fan on board! :thumb: btw, what does everybody else think the top 10 hip-hop albums are?

Edited by bigted