JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Big Will first rap...

Lerkot

There wazn't really untalented people on the Hip-Hop scene back in the day. Like FP says in "Scary Story" "deals wazn't a dime a dozen." I don't think wack artists started popping up until 1989. They started crashing thru' the door during 1993. After that, the downward spiral in Rap music has continually gotten worse and worse.

• Members

I feel the early 90's was the great time for rap. Came 1999 with the arrival of Britney Spears, the whole music industry sank after that.

Lol... why?

Well, lets see. Bubblegum pop became an all time high. Rock completely died due the alternative pop-rock boys coming into the scene; and also because of all the "THE ETC. ETC." bands sounding all the same and crappy. The boy-bands started to really get on my nerves because they were trying to be R'n'B.

Violent Gangsta rap turned into pimping hos, bling-blings and cadillacs. The latin music which I just can't stand became very popular. I no longer can differentiate between pop and r'n'b anymore. Avril and a million clones like her started bursting into the scene. The rap videos all look alike. The rock videos look all alike.

The wardrobe completely changed with faded jeans and faded t-shirts being popular, while rappers wore over the top jewellery and pimp-style outfits. The hair-style of the punk-pop rockers and poppers is absolutely horrible with bad, mishaped haircuts that looked like their little sisters had experimented with their hair. And I think I'll hold Britney and Justin responsible for all of this.

The only thing that came good out of the millenium was certainly rap-rock. And a HUGE thanks to Fred Durst for coming out with Limp Bizkit's Significant Other in 1999.

p.s: This is only my lame opinion. So don't hate me for it. :peace:

is it wrong that i kinda liked 1999, i think its more of a personal thing tho coz its when i first got into rap, willenium came out and TLC's fanmail got me into RnB, maybe the year seemed so good bcoz of those 2 albums. I do wish i listened to more music when i was younger tho and got to enjoy the golden years of rap.

• Members

Yeah... apart from the Y2K worries, '99 was a good year. I don't think music started it's decline in 99... especially rap music. Rap music started its decline when the real violence started... Pac, Big and all that...

Uhh???????????? Shocking!!!!!!!!! :confused3: I honestly feel it was Pac and Biggie who made the 90's fantastic. :speechless:

Ofcourse JJFP too, but he ain't gangsta.

its a good job his grandma did that, imagine Will could have turned into 50 cent!  :scared2:

Nah I don't think that'd happen, did Slick Rick turn into 50 Cent? I doubt FP cursed that much in his songs, I don't think it was that overexplicit, the most explicit rappers back then believe or not when JJFP came out were Slick Rick, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, and LL Cool J, come on now, even Nas curses more on one song now than those mcs cursed on their entire albums and he ain't even the most explicit rapper out now. Anyway, cursing doesn't change your personna, I curse on some of my songs I write but I ain't a gangsta rapper. Believe or not, the fake gangstas started comin' out after NWA came out, everyone started to try sounding gangsta then biting what they were doing and they still do. By the time I started gettin' into hip-hop in the mid-90s the golden era of hip-hop was already over already.

1999 wasn't a bad year in hip-hop like now, we had Nas, DMX, Slick Rick, Naughty By Nature, The Roots, Outkast, and JJFP put out at least gold albums, but they got overshadowed by Eminem's debut which was overrated even though it was a solid release compared to the garbage he puts out now and Jay-Z' and Ja Rule albums too that were also overrated but were ok, except the albums from the other cats I mentioned were all better than those 3 albums and Dr. Dre's "Chronic 2001" was a hot album but not as hot as the original "Chronic", I think music overall started to get watered down when TRL came out, Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men's sales started slipping when Britney Spears and Backstreet Boys came out, but lookin' back when I was 14 I actually liked some of that bling-bling rap, as I matured though I realised how much crap it was and I don't listen to that anymore.

Edited by bigted