JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

sellouts

Mike

i realized that will has gotten crap for being a sellout, with is movies and all. but look at them, Xhibit is pimping rides, kanye west,ludacris,llyoyd banks are in the boost mobile commercial.eminem had a moive too, snoop dogg is in movies. same with alot of other rappers like DMX and ja rule.

im not saying i dont like these rappers(well i dont like ja rule) just reveiling reality.

Yet, he expanded the platform and paved the way for rappers in commericals, shows, movies..etc.

:antlers: Woohoo go Will! :ali:

They call Will a sellout cause the ppl say he does "white films" like MIB or Bagger Vance. But when he did Ali who is one of the most famous black icon. They said it was terrible thing to have done to Ali's image by having Will Smith play him. But of course these ppl forgot 1 thing. Ali wanted Will Smith to play him!!! So either way if Will does these so called "white films" he gets called a sellout, if Will does so called "black films" he still gets mocked. See the these ppl read into everything. Like I,Robot. Some of these ppl said it was a racist film. Why you might ask. Well they said because Will plays a cop that doesn't like Robots. Del Spooner treats robots like what a white cop treats blacks or hispanic ppl. Since he is a rapper rappers don't like cops. So therefore Will is working for the white man. And he eats sweet potato pies. When I read this on a website which was a right-winged site and so called urban websites I thought this world is going to hell in a hand basket. My God these ppl are reading into things that don't have any meaning. I know Will played a cop that was prejudice to robots cuz of what happen to him. But at the end he learned that not all robots are evil. These ppl are jealous cuz Will is so sccessful at such an early age.

JJ+FP got dogged for doing The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. MC Hammer got dissed for doing commercials and cartoons. Kid 'N Play got knocked for doing movies and cartoons. Whenever u got big and branched out, over critical haters called u a sell out. Of course we all know the legends paved the way for all the new skool guys like DMX, Eminem, Ludacris, and Xzibit 2 do what they do. U got called a sell out in the '80's and early '90's...but now everyone dose it. Once it got easy 4 others 2 do the same thing, it waz the cool thing 2 do. Just like when LL Cool J did the album cover 4 Walking With The Panther. He had the shiny cloths, girls, 40's, the panther on a leash, jewelery, and money. Everyone said he waz selling out. A few years later and up until 2day, that's all we see.

If u do something new, u get dissed...but when everyone else gets 2 do it, it's cool.

• Members

Like I,Robot. Some of these ppl said it was a racist film. Why you might ask. Well they said because Will plays a cop that doesn't like Robots. Del Spooner treats robots like what a white cop treats blacks or hispanic ppl. Since he is a rapper rappers don't like cops. So therefore Will is working for the white man. And he eats sweet potato pies.

WOW. Was that for real??? I cannot believe that people could say something so insane!!!! :confused3:

Well with success you always have haters, even Michael Jordan would be called a sell-out, people are always gunnin' for you when you're the best, people want to keep you in the 'hood forever, they don't want u to expand. :blabla:

"though I was wack 'cause I wanted to act/

now every brother and his mother in rap be trying to do that."

- Don't Say Nothing, 1997

Will's been called a sellout for many reasons. AJ was right when he talked about FPOBA but it also has to do with the fact that Will didn't curse or shoot people in his rhymes. I remember Ice-T going on the Arsenio Hall show and calling JJFP "Mickey Mouse music".

The fact that Will did "clean" music and attracted masses of fans, it was perceived that he was "selling out." I always found that to be interesting considering over 70% of people who buy rap music are white/non-black.

The fact that Will didn't settle for "following everybody when it's time to rap" meant that he wasn't really "black". He's been called soft or wack throughout his whole career. It's the reason he's getting dissed by "a bunch of clowns with a bunch of cliques" like G-Unit.

What these clowns need to understand is that there wouldn't be movie deals if Will doesn't break through. There wouldn't be TV shows if FPOBA wasn't a huge smash. Cats wouldn't get endorsement deals if MC Hammer didn't pave the way. It seems like these "clowns" don't know their hip-hop history and don't really care to know.

:werd: Like Will said "Damnit I'm the one who expanded the platform". Ppl just see one side of him and already have a judgement that he is soft or wack. Ppl like Ice-T fail to realize but maybe now he would understand that Will was the first rapper to have a tv show and a #1 tv show in fact. I f it wasn't for Will, Ice T wouldn't have been on Law and Order. But when you think about it why should Will do gangsta rap. Will was never into drugs and never lived in the ghetto. If Will went into gangsta rap they would be calling him a fake. It's just that ppl don't understand but Will does is that alot of music today is purchased by kids under the age of 13. He figures that he has some responsibility to his younger listeners. It's funny Em diss Will for not cursing but when a reporter ask him if his daughter listens to his records he said no and that he does not swear around her. So is that like the pot calling the kettle black. I guess ppl also call him a sellout cuz he does movies like Bad Boys and swear alot in those. But again he makes those movies for adults or children over the age of 17. :angel: it's kind like this for Will sometimes when you do the right thing, ppl think you didn't do anything at all

Edited by Angel Amor

• Members

Will certainly can be tough if he wanted to. Especially in Bad Boys 2, he did say nigger a bunch of times and also said the F Word, and really showed he was gangsta enough.

So I guess it's probably a cool thing to diss Will Smith. Maybe that's how one can be with the "In" crowd.

• Members

Will certainly can be tough if he wanted to. Especially in Bad Boys 2, he did say nigger a bunch of times and also said the F Word, and really showed he was gangsta enough.

That wasnt Will Smith, that was Mike Lowrey.

Yeah man. I'm sorry. Will obviously is a big sissy. So I'm a Mike Lowrey fan from now on. :antlers:

That wasnt Will Smith, that was Mike Lowrey.

Yeah man. I'm sorry. Will obviously is a big sissy. So I'm a Mike Lowrey fan from now on. :antlers:

lol :hilarious: