JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Chuck D defends Will Smith!

Jin

• Members

I mean when you look back didn't MC Hammer change his name to just Hammer and came out wit a song called "Pumps and a Bump" or something like that. To me that video look alittle thugish :confused3:

OH MY GOD!! "Pumps And A Bump" is my most fav. Hammer track EVER!!!! :kekeke: And the video (ofcourse the second version) is like one of my most fav. rap videos till date. :wiggle:

Anyways, I think the reason why Chuck compared Will with V.Ice and Hammer is because they were probably the only 3 rappers who didn't use violent rap lyrics to become highly successful in the early 90s..

Ofcourse that all has changed because V.Ice is now with ICP :hilarious: and the lyrics are MAD violent. Chuck, I guess hasn't realised that yet. :confused3:

And finally, I want to say as a huge rap fan, that all the 4 artists that Chuck mentioned, i.e. Will, Hammer, V.Ice and 50 Cent, do happen to be really talented rappers in their own unique style and individual areas and certainly all of them have contributed greatly to the music world. Violence or no violence, they all sound good. :thumb:

Let's get ready for some rantinggggggggggg!...

First and foremost, all Chuck did was, at some point in the interview, defend the merits of 3 artists who catch alot of flack. He never, from as far as we know, drew any further comparisons between Will, Hammer, and Vanilla. So relax about that.

Next, I'd just like to say that "Ice Ice Baby," in my view, is one of the elite, classic songs OF LIFE. It's right up there with tracks like Billy Joel's "Piano Man" and Sugarhill Gang's "Rappers Delight." Mind you, I'm not drawing a comparison between these three songs artistically in any way. I'm just saying that they're all in that pantheon of "Songs That Transcend Musical Taste." You know what I'm saying?

Was Vanilla Ice a groundbreaking, or even respectably talented MC? Probably not. Do I like any other Vanilla songs I've heard outside of "Ice Ice Baby?" Nope. But I absolutely love that track, and I always will.

I think you can enjoy music on several levels. You can appreciate what the artist is saying through his lyrics. You can just love the vibe, the beat of a song. Or maybe the song just takes you back to a time and a place. And so on.

These are the types of reasons that I'm not ashamed to say that I have 3 (three!) Spice Girls tracks on my iPod. And although I fully believe he is a horrible rapper and a detriment to the rap game, I also have 50 Cent's "P.I.M.P."

And this is also why I will always get pumped to start singing along when I hear 'Nilla scream: "Let's kick it!"

Word to ya motha. :cya:

Edited by scyhigh99

• Members

not to be hatin but

hate vanilla ice even ice ice baby no talent at all none of his songs ( yes even IIB) showed no skill at all one of the worst rappers ever

that's awfully nice of Chuck D to defend Will, he deserves it. altho i think FP is above Hammer and Vanilla Ice, it's still nice to see. i can't really comment about Vanilla Ice as i've never heard any of his songs or know anything about him (nor do i want to)

that's awfully nice of Chuck D to defend Will, he deserves it. altho i think FP is above Hammer and Vanilla Ice, it's still nice to see. i can't really comment about Vanilla Ice as i've never heard any of his songs or know anything about him (nor do i want to)

:werd:

I Found that funny because will smith dissed vannila ice so many times in the fresh prince of bel air, them disses were so goddamn funny

Uncle Phil: Where u Goin?

Will: To See A Vannila Ice Concert

I Just Saw That, hahaa

The only song from Vanilla Ice i like is ICE ICE BABY!

Yeah, good point!

So if I come to think about it, there is NO reason for liking Vanilla Ice, as he covered this Song from Queen WITHOUT PERMISSION!

There's a fine line between genius an madness, but this line defenitley seperates Will Smith from Vanilla Ice !!!

:afro:

Damn¡¡Vanilla Ice?¡?¡...What the hell have in common Vanilla Ice with Will Smith?....

I think Chuck D lose his mind... :speechless:

I think it was the stupid college kids that were comparin' Will Smith to Vanilla Ice, Chuck D defends Vanilla Ice out of pity by saying he's not as wack as people think he is but he defends FP out of respect 'cause he always goes on about how JJFP represented hip-hop well by winning the 1st grammy and sayin' that they bring more energy than PE in performances, let's get that clear, Chuck D knows Vanilla Ice more than any of us do, he might have a better personality than he does as a rapper, but of course I don't understand why Chuck D wouldn't diss Vanilla Ice either 'cause he's a fake gangsta rapper just like 50 Cent now, wow that tells you how much Chuck D thinks of 50 Cent, wacker than Vanilla Ice, too bad his fame can't end just as fast! :hilarious: :hilarious:

btw, I don't get why FP would give 50 props on "I Wish I Made That" either, I guess ol' school rappers have more class and must feel pity for these wack rappers, although if these wack rappers ever diss them, the pity is over! :poke:

Edited by bigted

Damn¡¡Vanilla Ice?¡?¡...What the hell have in common Vanilla Ice with Will Smith?....

I think Chuck D lose his mind... :speechless:

I think it was the stupid college kids that were comparin' Will Smith to Vanilla Ice, Chuck D defends Vanilla Ice out of pity by saying he's not as wack as people think he is but he defends FP out of respect 'cause he always goes on about how JJFP represented hip-hop well by winning the 1st grammy and sayin' that they bring more energy than PE in performances, let's get that clear, Chuck D knows Vanilla Ice more than any of us do, he might have a better personality than he does as a rapper, but of course I don't understand why Chuck D wouldn't diss Vanilla Ice either 'cause he's a fake gangsta rapper just like 50 Cent now, wow that tells you how much Chuck D thinks of 50 Cent, wacker than Vanilla Ice, too bad his fame can't end just as fast! :hilarious: :hilarious:

btw, I don't get why FP would give 50 props on "I Wish I Made That" either, I guess ol' school rappers have more class and must feel pity for these wack rappers, although if these wack rappers ever diss them, the pity is over! :poke:

I don't think Will is giving 50 props as much as he's just saying that part of him envies how Pac, Jay, 50, Biggie and Dre were able to catch the ear of the mainstream and build off of that. He also says that he feels like LL, Chuck D., Slick Rick, and Doug E. feel. He's loved, and he knows it, but he still isn't given the attention and the respect that the Jays and 50s of the rap world get.

Incidentally, I think what Chuck D. was really trying to say is that people bash Will, Hammer, and Ice because it's popular, and without appropriate forethought or for thoughful reasons. I think he was linking them in that sense. If I were to go into a public school somewhere and were to ask a high school senior if Will Smith is good, they'd say no, and when asked to explain, they'd say that he should stick to rap... he's just an actor trying to be a rapper. You may also get that popular "bubble gum" response. It's like politics... "talking points." Kids have been programmed not to like Will's music... they hear it over and over from their peers and other rappers, so even if they secretly like his music, they won't be cool if they let other people know. I mean, someone had to go out and by those 9 million Big Willie Style albums, so really, a lot of kids are just fronting and too insecure to really tell it like it is.

If you look at what these so-called popular rappers do to get fame with flashy videos, that looks more "bubblegum rap" to me than anything(especially "Candy Shop", that's so fake, he's a loner in real life who doesn't take care of his son), 'cause it's artifical, at least if FP decided to do a video with money, jewels, and women it'd be real 'cause he's the real player in this hip-hop game from his 20-mil a flick salary(sales: 20 mil, cars: Bentleys, women: Jada/ he's speaking the truth there it ain't a front) but he's 36 and is above that kid stuff(found gold in my heart put the ice away/nicer day/ live foul homie it's a price to pay), and those pop-rappers are just getting rent-a-cars for their videos, they ain't living that large. A lot of kids are ignorant though 'cause they even say that KRS-ONE is wack from making "nerd rap", but people listening to "nerd rap" will have more success than those listening to "studio gangsta rap" anyway, they're all suckers, let's just "Wave 'Em Off". :ali:

Edited by bigted