JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Homebase - JJFPs weakest?

Okey this might get you a bit angry or so but I just felt I had to write my opinion.

I think Homebase is the absolutely weakest album JJFP made. If you start from the.. well, start you got I'm All That. In my opinion a decent track worth listening to once in a while... Summertime is fantastic and is probably the only track that has a timeless beat and just everything about this song is perfect, and this is one of two tracks that becomes even better if you look at the music vid at the same time...

The Things That You Do is not good at all I think. The greatest hits version is okey but the version you can hear on Homebase is not very much to hang in a christmas tree. Song number four is "This Boy Is Smooth" and thats a good track that could be even better with a better beat and this track is in absolute need of remastering because the smooth voice of FP in this track is something i wanna hear better...

Ring My Bell has some smooth rhymes and a good beat but I think the Mr. Lee remix is way better and I bet you agree with me on this one. A Dog is a Dog is a little bit special and its a pretty clever track with a very boring beat and the track is starting to feel old in a bad way. I dont know if any remixes were maid on this track but I can imagine that you could make this a real hit with some good remixing.

Caught in the middle is interesting and Will tries to tell us something about how you can get caught in the middle of love and life, which is not a very comon subject which makes it even more interesting. Just like This Boy Is Smooth, this track needs a real refresh, but all in all I like it and its a good track. Trapped on the dance floor is extremely boring and perhaps one of the worst JJFP tracks through all times... I can imagine the fans saw it as bad already when the album was new, and the aging have killed the tvings that were good with this track... if there was anything good with it.

Who Stole the DJ is classic storytelling but i prefer the storytelling tracks they made in the 80s. Who Stole My Car from And in this corner is way better than this "sequel". You Saw My Blinker is a interesting grip from FPs side. Its great that he makes fun of the gangsta rappers and the track containts a couple of good rhymes but its not a very good track even if it feels a bit newer than many of the other tracks on the album.

Dumb Dancin is almost as bad as Trapped on the dance floor, but the beat is a little bit better and the lyrics are a little bit better than on dance floor, and you can feel the potential in this track, but potential is not enough and I have to say that this is a boring and kind of bad track...

The Summertime (reprise) is not supposed to be reviewed because its just like a end of the CD, but yeah I got to say its good! I really like the additions of those sounds that makes it sound like a tennis court actually... One thing I would like to change: make the bassline louder, like in my dreams... The Ring My Bell (remix) is on the newer versions of the album and it might be the second best track after the unbeatable Summertime.

To sum it up; this is a good album, but in comparison to all the other JJFP albums, its a little bit weak, or just directly bad. The album havent been ageing in a good way like Rock the House and He's the DJ. Why? I dont know. Maybe you do? What do you think of my opinions?

In my opinion, you are wrong. I think the weakest LP from FP is And In This Corner...

Yeah I used to think so too... but I changed my mind pretty quickly. And In This Corner has a higher average level and basically all the tracks are "good" or better.

wow that's surprisin. i don't agree @ all. i thought Homebase was the 2nd best album by JJFP. it's solid from trax 1-9. i thought Trapped on the Dance Floor was extremely dope, one of the best tracks on the album. i'll agree that Who Stole The DJ and Dumb Dancin arent that hot, but the album is hot. i also thought And In This Corner was the weakest album by JJFP

• Members

In my opinion, you are wrong. I think the weakest LP from FP is And In This Corner...

Really? thats my favorite album of theirs

How can you say Trapped On The Dance Floor Is Rubbish, it has the rap by Jazzy Jeff in it

• Members

Whoa. Shocking opinion man. :speechless: Because I just LOVEEEEEEEEEE that album. "I'm All That" is just....ALL THAT!!! And the remaining tracks too. Probably the only weakest track was "Who Stole The DJ".

And "Dumb Dancin" and "Trapped On The Dance Floor" are just excellent!! This is what I would call a serious difference of opinion!!!! :poke: