Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Interscope vs Columbia

Who did a better job?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Who did a better job?

• Interscope
    • Columbia

Sup y'all

Now that Lost & Found is released and it is # 4 on the Hip Hop billboard chart and # 6 on the other billboard chart...who do you think did a better job, Interscope or Columbia?

I think they both suck! Don't get me wrong, I think it was dope that Will could do whatever he wanted on the album, speak his mind on things that he wasn't allowed to do on Columbia, but keep it real here, no promotion at all! He went on MTV, BET and other shows but that's it! I didn't see no commercials, no real promotion! If they would have promoted the album more, like they did with 50 cents album, then Lost & Found would be # 1 right now, cuss the album is so damn good!

So what do you think?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen a few commercials for Lost and Found. And a sum on websites. Interscope is doing alittle bit better than Columbia. Columbia just wanted to make money and when they felt that Will was not gonna bring them that much money they drop him. Interscope isn't perfect either. Interscope needs to put out more commercials on tv and radio. I've seen commercials on MTV and BET but not anywhere else. So I think they should expand a lot more. Get sum air play on the radio. Poor Will is bustin' his ass promoting it by himself so they need to get to work. But yeah their both not doing a real good job on promoting Will's album. :angel:

• Admin

well thats hard to say.. columbia completely ruined Will's image and ran his music into the ground, and obviously stifled him creatively...

i wouldnt say Will is really on Interscope.. he is now on Overbrook and doing what he wants.. interscope hasnt really done any promotion or leg work at all.. Its all Will and Overbrook who is trying to make this a successful album all interscope has done is release the record(and the fact some stores sold out, showed they didnt even do a good job of that, should of shipped more copies)

so finally my answer is overbrook is a hell of a lot better than Sony.. interscope has actually distributed the album which is okay..but hopefully they come to the party at this stage.. of course i'll take interscopes lack of promotion over sonys meddling anyday..because the music that Will makes and releases is most important

What exactly is Interscope's whole role in all of this. Aren't they supposed to be promting? From what I can understand, Overbrook has a pretty large part to play with production or something like that, and I believe interscope was supposed to be active in the promotional aspect of the CD's release.

i have heard loads of promotion here in the UK every hour or so "Will Smiths New Album "Lost And Found" Out Now!!! then it goes into switch.....its great.....believe me its doing alright in the UK

Interscope is distrobuting it.

it's like aftermath and interscope or G-unit records and interscope

I agree with almost everyone.

I wouldn't even put columbia up there with interscope,

they ruined FP and his music.

But Interscope is not paying much attention to will's album,

not as much as they do to 50 or Em, so therefore Overbrook is keepin' will in the game,

and also after Tell Me Why and Party Starter, Lost & Found and Pump Ya Brakes,

I am %100 assured that Interscope would give will all the attention and dignity for the future, but then again I think that Overbrook is BIG at the moment, they are 1 of the rising BIG production company's out right now, they even did I Robot partially and were credited, will has been credited a lot as Executive Producer, and those movies made a lot of profit, so Will really is doing OK and with time Interscope will jump on the Will Smith BANDWAGON :kekeke:

• Members

Sony. Anyday! They promoted Will soooo much in my country. I still remember there were so many ads and articles for BWS and Willenium. Even Born To Reign released very quickly compared with the US date. Whereas there is absolutely no ads for Lost And Found and also it still is taking time to get released here.

i think Interscope. Like ya'll said Columbia ****ed Will as an artist. I've seen a couple TV ads for Lost and Found here in the US. Any CD rarely gets ads on the radio in the US. I've never heard of a 50cent radio ad, or Eminem and they're both huge interscope artists. Also rap CD's won't have ads on other stations than music stations. U can't expect your local station to advertise "the masacre" or "lost and found" cuz it's not the right audience. Your grandma, who's watching the 4 PM news isn't gonna go out to buy a rap CD.

Also, Jimmy Iovine didn't stop Will from addressing Eminem. I'm guessin Columbia would stop him.

why can't it go back to the ol' days of hip-hop like KRS once said: "Relying on talent, not marketin' and promotion", I'm personally just happy to see a true hip-hop artist in the top 5 on the charts for a change 'cause most of my favorites don't get on the charts, I don't have high feelings for Interscope 'cause they've exploited the hip-hop game to crap on a mainstream level but Columbia ain't much better either but the only mainstream rapper they carry now is Nas at least I could remember right now that's on there, they dumped all the hip-hop artists it seems, including the big names FP, JD, and Wyclef, I'm a fan of the artists not the label. :poke: