JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Big Will On Kanye West

Yeah, Kanye's flow is usually less than steller. His lyrics are usually pretty good tho.' I think his strongest skill is his production. I've always liked the sped-up vocal samples in Hip-Hop...but he dose it 2 often. He definitly wasn't the person 2 start doing it...but he kinda made it his signature style. I think the perfect example of a good sped-up vocal sample is LL's "One Million Stars."

• 6 years later...

it's amusing looking back at this thread, kanye's music has gotten worse since that time, i stand by what i said then too, his limited mic skills keep him from being one of the greats

i'm sure fresh prince probably don't feel the same way either if you interview him today, it'd been interesting though to hear how that unreleased fp/kanye track came out around 2005

How his Kanye's recent album doing? I wasn't feeling it when I listened to it online and never returned to give it another change. I just know I didn't really like what I heard. I haven't heard his songs on the radio or seen his music videos on VH1. In fact, when I was shopping at Borders before they closed, the only CDs they had the last few weeks were all weird, obscure stuff...and a few copies of Kanye's new album...lol.

My opinion has completely changed from what I said above; I think his flow and voice have gotten sloppier and more annoying. I now find his lyrics annoying. He doesn't actually rap about relevant stuff like he used to. His strongest point was always his production. His had some of strongest production from 1998 to 2005ish. His production just isn't anywhere the level it used to be at. This is just my opinion but he doesn't interest me at all anymore.

i think kanye's "bdtf" went platinum but it's nowhere near as good as his earlier stuff, "watch the throne" with jay-z recently went platinum too and that's an average album too, don't get me wrong like i said back then when you compare him to other commercial rappers like 50 and Wayne he looks good but when you compare him to the greats he doesn't measure up, he's not the second coming of Jesus like he says he is....

His album is great, it is avantgarde, it is a modern classic. If you look at the combination between flawless production blending so many diffrent styles, amazing artist placement and incredible videos - it just rocks hard. Look at Kanyes performance he did last year at SNL and tell me again he isn't one hell of an artist. Look at the Run Away Video. Kanye is the man.

Edited by Turntable

I just can't agree....lol. I've seen the videos, I listened to the album when it came out.

I used to think he was way above his peers on the radio but after this 3rd album, I just can't stand him for the most part.