JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

RAP INGENERAL

Guest lambertj3

That whole underground dosen't mean anything...nearly every Hip-Hop and Rap artist waz at 1 point and underground artist. JJ+FP were rockin' crowds around Philly and look where they are. M.C. Hammer waz runnin' the club scene in the Bay, selling thousands of records outta the back of his trunk...he ended up being one of the biggest megastars of all time at one point (mini-movie videos, cartoon, action figures, TOOTHPASTE!!). Kid 'N Play were makin' moves on the underground scene with "Late Nite" and they ended up being having cartoons and movies. 2Pac waz in Strictly Dope, Ma$e used 2 be a hardcore rapper b4 signing with Bad Boy, Jay-Z and members of Wu-Tang were actually in more commerical groups b4 changing their images and beginning successful solo careers.

Oh yeah, and THESE days Eminem is alot like your average rapper. His early days of bighting Nas' style waz akward, when he found himself w/ The Slim Shady EP and LP, he waz ill....since then he's been on a downward spiral.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
most rappers are in a downword spiral after their first album bcomes a hit, becouse they dont have anything to rhyme for since they are allready a hit. I heard an eminem Mix tape a while back tough wre he had like that Slim Shady vibe again, whit like witty ****, so I hope his next album will be like that agin ven tough i doubt it becouse of the uber wackness d12 is bringing. Seriously 40oz made me feel ashamed for him as a human being.

I used 2 love Eminem in 1999 but i definitly thought D12 waz wack from the start (tho' i still think "My Band" is hilarious). I'm totally open minded what Eminem dose, i just don't really expect 2 like him anymore. If he comes back with some Hip-Hop beats (not over-produced stuff) and witty creative rhymes again, i'll definitly get the album.

Guest lambertj3
EMINEM IS THE TOP RAPPER OUT NOW NEXT TO 50 CENT AND NAS , I THINK HE IS EXTREMLEY FUNNY AND HE CAN FREESTSYLE YOUR PANTS OFF PROBABLY THE BEST FREESTYLEST OUT NOW

• Admin
[quote=lambertj3,May 14 2004, 02:04 AM]EMINEM IS THE TOP RAPPER OUT NOW NEXT TO 50 CENT AND NAS , I THINK HE IS EXTREMLEY FUNNY AND HE CAN FREESTSYLE YOUR PANTS OFF PROBABLY THE BEST FREESTYLEST OUT NOW[/quote]
you know the good life cafe in LA was where a lot of rappers used to go and spit.. some of the artists to come out of there were aceyalone, freestyle fellowship, blackalicious jurassic 5 etc.. this is wheree eazy E took bone thugs n harmoney..and they subsequently stole a lot of those rappers style..anyway anyone could get up on a mic there.. and eminem went there and got totally torn up.. he wouldnt come close to any of the project blowed artists.. (www.projectblowed.com) a lot of styles were created back then..and they were the only people freestylin back then..this is all in the early 90s.. in fact this style all the southern rappers use is actually bitten from this LA artist called busdriver.. anyway my point is a lot of people would rip eminem up in a battle or freestyle..

It just doesn't come down to only freestylin' 'cause it's true that Jay-Z and Eminem are great freestylists but they basically do the same routine on all their songs. Just 'cause you're a great freestyler doesn't mean that you can make great songs. Rappers like Nas and 2Pac are better writers than freestylers but that doesn't matter much when they put out great songs. You can win a freestyle contest against a million people but if you struggle in your creativity in making songs then it's a lost art. If Eminem and Jay-Z put more heart into making songs, they would get the props that Biggie got 'cause he was a great freestyle artist and made records that showcased that he could make songs with the same heart as his freestylin' skills! :werd:

Yeah, freestyling takes the back seat in my opinion compared 2 making real music. Writing a song and freestyling are 2 different things. Freestyling is cool 4 what it is, but writing a song that means something and that can stir somebody's emotions and thoughts is what it's really all about. U can only freestyle 4 so long...good music is what keeps an artist and artist.

After being an artist 4 so long, freestyling dosen't really mean anything anymore. That's why alot of legends don't do it...cuz there isn't really anybody for people like Run or Fresh Prince 2 compete with. They would be insulting themselves by challenging a new person who isn't on their level. Freestyling as a professional recording artist is a way 2 get attention...but not a way of keeping it.

There are also different definitions 2 freestyling. The main meaning is simply flowing off the top of your head over any beat. But u can also consider being able 2 rap any rap over any beat. For instance, if Will lays down the rap from "Summertime" over 2Pac's "I Wonda If Heaven Got A Ghetto" instrumental...that can be considered freestyling. Some people consider any pre-written rap that isn't on any song a freestyle also.

Guest lambertj3
Fresh prince can compete aginst eminem , and jay-z, its been proven that as far as i seen no could touch eminem,i like prince but i think eminem would get him in freestlying though, i haven't heard prince freestlye in so long im not sure if he remembers how to do it anymore

Guest Prince
[quote=lambertj3,May 15 2004, 07:38 AM]i haven't heard prince freestlye in so long im not sure if he remembers how to do it anymore[/quote]
I seem to remember a member of the WS board a few years ago who lived in Sweden went and saw Will freestyling with Wyclef. That must have been in early to mid 2002.

Yeah, Will came from a strong freestyling background. He must have been incredible cuz back then, u had 2 have skillz and talent 2 be considered good. These days people don't know what's good, they just but what the major labels pump out. I wazn't there, so i can't say, but i'm sure that Will + Wyclef freestyle thing waz more 4 fun and not a battle. I doubt they were out 2 conqor the other. Will said in an interview not long ago that he waz all about challenging Eminem, but that it might be a bad idea since he's writing, recording, and performing all the time. Will just has 2 much going on 2 totally submerge himself in Hip-Hop...which isn't a bad thing considering movie carreer and more importantly his family. Will is a legend and dosen't need 2 prove himself or lower himself 2 the level of defending himself...but i would have loved 2 see him get down and dirty and put that obnoxious, whiny white boy in his place...ha ha. I'm sure non-believers would be like "ahhhh...i didn't know he had it in him!!"