JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Will Smith to Sell 80K opening week

• Members

http://www.hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi?news05608

ONE-DAY SALES:

ATTACK OF THE KILLER B’s

Beanie Busts Out, Beck Beats Expectations and The Bravery Buzz Begins to Pay Off

March 30, 2005

The big stories coming out of retail in the new-release arena involve Island Def Jam, which is on the way to hitting the trifecta, and Interscope’s Beck, who’s riding a major press onslaught and his accumulated hip cachet to a surprisingly strong first week. And, oh yeah, Shady/Aftermath/Interscope's 50 Cent is a virtual lock to stay at #1 on next week's chart. Whaddaya know, it’s all about UMG once again.

The week’s #1 bow appears to be Def Jam’s Beanie Sigel, who’s on target to do 150k, but Beck is much closer than anyone imagined, as Guero appears to be headed to a first-week total just shy of 150k, even as the album jumps to the top of the iTunes chart. Much of Beck’s momentum is due to press coverage describing the new LP as the long-awaited sequel to his 1996 breakthrough, Odelay, as he reunites with that album’s production team, the Dust Brothers.

Def Jam’s One Twelve should just top its name, with early returns pointing to a total of around 115k. Then comes Interscope’s Will Smith, who’s showing enough strength at the racks to chalk up an 80k finish, challenged by…um…WB Nashville’s Larry the Cable Guy (pardon our ignorance, y’all, but this one snuck up on us).

Along with Beck, the most heartening storyline has to do with Island band The Bravery, which is riding a growing buzz on its vibrant,’80s-rooted sound to a one-week total north of 30k. That’s 4k better than labelmates and stylistic cousins The Killers moved in their debut week. How about that?

In the math department, the music biz was up a heartening 12.6% (1.4 million units) over last week, and 9.6% (1.1m) over the same week of 2004, thanks to consumers peeling for 12.2 million units on the week. The healthy action at retail moved the year-to-date deficits, but the industry will need to string together a bunch of similar weeks to get out of the hole. For the year, sales are down 7.2% (-10.4m units) from 2004 on 145 million units.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Basically it's based on opening days sales, and typical falloff patterns. That's how they are able to predict. Agreed that it's early, but it is a good indicator of just how it is doing in conjunction to other artists. If the 80k stands that might squeak in for a top 10 for this week.

• Members

I dunno I'm thinking the promo on this album wasn't the greatest, bout the only reason I knew it was coming out was cuz I'm on this site.

I will temper my expectations to around 80k which is still a good showing. If it's higher then good. Remember that in this age of diminished CD sales that 80 is almost like what 200k was a few years ago.

• Admin

anyone know how many interscope shipped out in the first week? I agree the promotion by interscope was pretty substandard..it seems to be a fan driven thing.. i mean they had adds at box office mojo? why have adds at a movie site..this is a hip hop album..still switch has been no. 1 on itunes all week and should get into the top 20 ..so more and more people will find out abt the album eventually..remember jill scott only sold 15, 000 the first week and her album went double platinum so dont count it out just on the first week numbers :werd:

Though the official promotion campaign for Lost and Found hasn't been the best, I think that word of mouth will bolster sales towards the end of the week, lifting the total above 100k for week 1.

A lot of you guys have been to the record shops, target, walmart, circut city, etc... is there a buzz about the album at these stores? Have any stores sold out? Do the display shelves of these stores looked packed, meaning that not too many CDs have been sold, or does it look like CDs have been selling? Have the clerks mentioned anything about the purchase, probably stating whether or not the album's been selling well. Have you seen other people picking up CDs? Stuff like that. I know you guys have stories. Let loose.