Hero1

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

no you're actually welcome to do it

noo... we actuallt got reallt good burgers! M'cdonalds / Burger King in other countrys in Europe taste weird. We got the best burgers...

if that really counts.. =)

I'm waiting to see 3 reviews in sweden. The one from the no.1 newspaper, one from the hiphop magazine Kingsize and one from an online review site.. So hopefully they'gg give him better.

Cuz this review sucked, he thought will should stop complainin and the only way he could be as good as eminem is if he has a another summertime on lost and found.

noo... we actuallt got reallt good burgers! M'cdonalds / Burger King in other countrys in Europe taste weird. We got the best burgers...

I'm waiting to see 3 reviews in sweden. The one from the no.1 newspaper, one from the hiphop magazine Kingsize and one from an online review site.. So hopefully they'gg give him better.

Cuz this review sucked, he thought will should stop complainin and the only way he could be as good as eminem is if he has a another summertime on lost and found.

Yeah I read it too... im waiting for dagensskiva.com to review it and Aftonbladet too...

• Admin

HIP-HOP

Will Smith, "Lost and Found" (Interscope)

Believe it or not, Smith has put out an album on which the best songs are neither bright, goofy nor happy. That would be the same Will Smith who since his start in hip-hop 18 years ago has personified bright ("Summertime"), goofy ("Parents Just Don't Understand"), happy ("The Two of Us") -- and, of course, jiggy. But apparently even he has gotten sick of that sugary-sweet goodness. So, perhaps for the first time on an entire album, he sounds like a person rather than a persona.

What courses through "Lost and Found" is a fire tempered only by Smith's self-imposed rule not to move beyond PG-13 in his rhymes. Still, there's no way syndicated radio siren Wendy Williams or Smith's ex-wife or even black radio could be within earshot of this CD and not be scorched.

"Maybe I should just have a shootout," he says on the especially good couplet "I Wish I Made That/Swagga."Just ignorant/ attacking/ acting rough/ I mean/ then/ will I be black enough?"

Smith does use obvious bits of Ludacris' hearty bellow ("Party Starter"), Jadakiss' "Why" ("Tell Me Why" with Mary J. Blige) and Eminem's "Stan" ("Loretta") to tell his stories. Nevertheless, they are all still Smith, who has taken blows for having the mainstream appeal to move from music to TV to film. Now he confidently delivers a few blows of his own.

Star Tribune

Yeah I read it too... im waiting for dagensskiva.com to review it and Aftonbladet too...

Yes i mean't dagensskiva.com.. i e-mailed them about it... they weren't sure about reviewing it... but after i mailed them they seemed positive.

I know the guy that writes the reviews at kingsize magazine... he'll give it a high score (huge JJFP/Smith fan)

http://www.thecelebritycafe.com/cd/full_review/11005.html

The album starts right off with Here He Comes, which has a hysterical background rhythm taken from the old Spiderman TV Show. That’s the funniest part of Will Smith's usually good. The result is one of the best Will Smith albums. You have Mr. Nice Guy, which sarcastically confronts his persona, and then you jump to Pump Ya Breaks, which guests Snoop Dogg. This is a combo that I never thought would happen. Other highlights are Tell Me Why, which guests Mary J. Blige and confronts issues such as September 11th. This is one of those few albums that went into my CD player and stayed on repeat for a while.

Reviewer: Michael Mardings

Reviewer's Rating: 9.5

• Admin

Will Smith

Lost and Found

(Interscope **1/2)

On his ninth CD, Will Smith takes on the intersection of Hollywood and West Philly as if jovially taking on another amiable movie role. Mostly, it's business as usual.

The stutter-tronic "Switch" is the party track. In accordance with hip-hop law, Snoop Dogg appears. "Here He Comes" features a patented Smith sample gleaned from our childhood, the Spider-Man TV cartoon theme, with chunky beats by ex-partner Jazzy Jeff.

Big Willie makes merry about getting dissed by Eminem, blabbing happily about getting reamed by rap radio. So what, right? With more than one reference to making "20 mil," you can't help but think that Smith is giggling all the way to his broker.

But listen harder. Smith ain't feeling quite so jiggy.

"Sometimes y'all mistake nice for soft, so before I go off..." spits Smith on "Mr. Niceguy," taking on haters through bucking rhythms with the sort of veiled threats his Shark Tale costar Bob De Niro usually proffers. When not busy taking the offensive on being defensive, Smith wails on religious hypocrisy, star-stalkers, and the rap game's relentless copycatting (from Smith, yet, goes the boast of the title track) with a sneer to match his cheer.

Sure, he's ham-fisted. Smith may not show the brilliant flow of Ludacris or the foul functionality of 50 Cent. But at least he acts the part nicely.

- A.D. Amorosi

• Admin

hiponline

CORPORATE LINE: A legendary music sensation, Smith made his first record as a high school senior and subsequently embarked on a rap career with friend Jeff Townes. DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince recorded several platinum and multi-platinum albums, winning two Grammys and three American Music Awards. Smith's first solo album, Big Willie Style , has sold 8 million copies. His album Willennium and the featured single Will2K went double platinum, selling over 2 million copies each.

THE GREAT:

“Party Starter” – Will Smith is best at bringing the dance club anthems. When he isn’t trying to brag and act street he can still flow.

“Lost & Found” – Smith isn’t the best rapper yet he has some points on what is wrong with hip-hop today. He is right even if he isn’t a great M.C.

THE AVERAGE:

“Here He Comes” – Firs Will Smith borrows the intro from the old-school Batman theme and then brags about having everything in the world… thanks for that. Good thing he isn’t arrogant.

“Switch” – Smith tries to reinvigorate his old hit singles with “Switch”—it isn’t up to par with his hits of old.

“Mr. Nice Guy” – Will takes his shots by attempting to prove that he isn’t soft. He tries to take on Eminem by telling us he’s richer. Good angle.

THE BAD:

“I Wish I Made That” – Smith is preoccupied with being called soft and its getting tired.

“If You Can’t Dance (Slide)” – Smith’s singing is terrible and the rhymes aren’t much better.

“Scary Story” – Smith wants to tell his story Eminem-style—it goes awry.

FRANKLY: Will Smith is so preoccupied with proving that he isn’t soft that most of the record focuses on it. If Smith dropped more party anthems and less attempts at proving how great he is we might have something worth listening to.

+ CC Morris

March.29.2005

scotsman

WILL SMITH: LOST AND FOUND **

INTERSCOPE, £12.99

THE Will Smith brand trucks on with a ninth album of parent-friendly rap. It appears to be jocular business as usual on the throwaway opening track Here He Comes, which promotes the idea of Smith as a rapping superhero. To ten-year-olds maybe but, cliché though it is, Smith’s whole-some family man image wins him zero cred points from the hip-hop fraternity. "Sometimes y’all mistake nice for soft" he counters on Mr Nice Guy, a smart rap with shades of Eminem’s satirical wit. Elsewhere, he challenges Christian fundamentalism with no great originality on Ms Holy Roller and misfires in his attempts to address post-9/11 malaise on Tell Me Why. Militancy doesn’t suit him, but he’s grown out of grooving on the beach.

FIONA SHEPHERD

Telegraph

Will Smith

Lost and Found

Interscope, £12.99

It may seem a strange thing to say of a Grammy Award-winning rapper and Oscar-nominated movie star, but Will Smith has an inferiority complex. On this, his ninth album, barely a couplet passes without Smith ruing his own versatility or griping about the public's refusal to take him seriously.

Met by popular and critical acclaim as the rapping half of DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince, Smith's hip-hop career has been overshadowed by his enormously successful forays into television (The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air) and film (Ali, Bad Boys, Independence Day). For some reason, this really ticks him off.

On the rock-riffed Mr Niceguy, Smith rails wittily against his critics, responding to an old Eminem diss along the way, and on I Wish I Made That, he whines, "I think y'all love me/But y'all place other rappers above me."

To find out why, Smith should refer to the ghastly 9/11 think piece Tell Me Why or the watered-down crunk of Party Starter. He may prefer to blame his clean-cut ubiquity, but Smith just doesn't deserve the rap credibility he covets.

Andrew Pettie

Dunno whats wrong with people nowadays...

but they all got one good point; the album is a little to onesided and focused at Will being "not soft"... I wouldnt mind a little mot variation between the tracks like in the old JJFP albums..

I have to agree with Tim.

I sense a bit of hypocricy here... and I know I'm not the only one. When Will Smith makes party tracks, Gettin Jiggy Wit It or Miami for instance, the reviewers say that his music isn't relevant, that it's too light and fluffy and that it's not hip hop... that he's been out of the black community too long... that his subject matter is just superficial and lacks any real depth and all it's good for is for a party or the club, and even then they wouldn't dance to it. So now he takes time to really dig into his soul, "the most revealing writing" he's ever done, and puts out music where he releases what he feels, where he's spitting truth on a variety of subject, and yet there are still a few party/feel good tracks. But now they want to say he's trying to acting street, that he's trying to be hard, that he isn't sincere and that he's bitter. Am I the only one who sees the glaring hypocrisy here? And no, for the reviewers who think his subject matter is one sided, it's really not. He does address the state of rap music on a few tracks, Lost and Found, I Wish I Made That, and the last verse of Party Starter, but it's needed, and it's needed sorely, and anyone who thinks that he puts too much of a focus on this really doesn't understand the disaray hip hop is in right now. I advice you to turn on your tv and watch BET for and hour. Incidentally, how many reviewers are saying that 50 talks about guns and sex in his music too much, cause it's on almost every track, and most times, that's all the track is about. I don't hear writers crying over rappers talking about Jacob the Jewelers on every other song. Look, bottom line, the man had something to say, he said it, and a lot of people are enjoying hearing him say it, but for those who want people to be boxed into a certain musical format, to only address certain subjects, you're taking the rapper at face value and you should be ashamed of yourselves. :nono:

Edited by MaxFly