JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

LOST & FOUND THOUGHTS

Devilsjim89: Thanks lookin out! That idiot ruined my topic!

I'm listening to the album all the time. Get's just better. As someone said... I'll probably buy like 2-3 copies of it... to make me fell better about DL it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here He Comes - Good track with nice chorus och a little nice oldschool silly end. Wouldnt mind if it was a little bit longer tho with some more lyrics, but its okey dokey.

Party Starter - Surprisingly good. When I heard the Westwood-stuff I first thought Pump Ya Brakes was better but I gotta change my opinion there. This is a good party track.

Switch - Well ya'll heard it, its a decent track nothing more nothing less.

Mr Nice Guy - Nice track with a little humour. Enjoy the humour in the track, because there aint so much of it on the album.

Mrs. Holly Roller - Its not like people will look back in twenty years and say "Man, Mrs. Holly Roller was such a good track" but its okey. Boring beat.

Lost & Found - Will tells a little about when he was lost and now he's found and you know, its the expected. Kind of boring beat here too. Nice chorus tho.

Tell Me Why - Yes, please tell me why I cant feel this song. Its a nice little sad song, a little like Just The Two of Us but you know, Its not even near Summertime. You cant lean back a nice summerday and expect this song to feel you with that feeling that only JJFP-songs can.

I Wish I Made That/Swagga - I like this track, it has a little humour and its funny, and by the way the chorus containts "Summer summer summertime" so it cant be bad. Swagga is ok.

Pump Ya Brakes - You cant say DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince feat. Snoop Dogg. This is DJ Jazzy Jeff & Will Smith feat. Snoop Dogg. Its good, it would fit perfectly as a single especially since the album lacks radio friendly song. Verse number two is fantastic but the quality goes down a little bit when Snoop has his part.

If You Cant Dance - Pretty boring track with some highlights. Feels like a track just because they had to fill the album with something.

Could U Love Me - Zzz, worst Will song ever? Pleeeeeeeaaase so slow and not saying anything really.

Loretta - Nice storytelling track, a little bit sad, a little bit scary (giving attention to a girl like this can be.. dangerous actually). Bad chorus, sounds like something I could come up with.

Wave Em Off - Decent track.

Scary Story - Kind of a boring track but a good choise of beat.

I cant feel this album really. Very very very much sounds the same way each time. Will in a sometimes too high tempo and I dont know why practically all the songs have to be so depressive to hear. Everything is down in the dark, seems like Will has went to a place where all the other rap boats go to.

A couple of tracks are okey tho like Party Stater, Pump Ya Brakes, Here He Comes, I Wish I Made That. I cant really see how some of you can think this is better than He's the DJ and Code Red. Yes I know you're about to call me a hater just because I dont like the album so much but thats just bull****, I just have a different opinion than you other guys and even if you might think thats hard to accept; deal with it.

I won't say Tell me why and lost and found is better then summertime cause it's really different kind of songs. But i think code red is really overrated. Homebass was JJFP's best album. Summertime is the worlds best summersong.

But. If we speek lyrically, flow and rhymetechnique and scheduele. Then this is wills best album and songs ever. As he says in lost and found - he doesn't dumb down on this one. And that's a fact if u check the rhymes and the flow.

If you're talking about feeling the songs... then i understand people liking summertime more... cause that's a classic.. it's describes the summer perfect. But hey.. "he's the dj i' the rapper"... you guys joking? That's like.. really, really wack if u compare it to his new stuff. If may have been reallu dope when it came out... same with code red... But those ain't Reasonable doubt's or illmatics which have timeless rhymes and beats...

I can listen to Illmatic and think... yes this is still dope. But if i listen to code red... all i think is old drums.. old beat... old rhymes. The only timeless song will achieved is Summertime. That cause i still can feel the lyrics, the beat and the vibe. it doesn't sound old.

Of course... i still listen to rock the house, he's the dj and that kind of stuff. But i listen to it cause it's fun. Not cause it's musical masterpieces..

Lost and found has a timeless beat. It doesn't need to be different or cool to be timeless, but the drums, the kicks, the snare... the bassline... it's **** that can be listened to in 10 years and saying... no that beat still sounds fresh. Same with Tell me why.. That's a incredible track. Especially lyrically.

I think He's the DJ is still going strong. Its like with art, even if Picasso didnt use new stuff as Paintshop, he still made better paintings than I do with Paintshop.

Yeah... cause that's paintings.. not graphics which is what you do in photoshop. I really hope you don't paint on you computer... you couldn't see the screen so good.

im so gutted this leaked. im gonna try my best not to download it b4 monday. For starters i cant actually find it at the moment. Its killin me loads of ppl have heard it b4 me and you've given it good reviews.

so has tim, aj, bigted, kev havnt downloaded it yet, if u guys havnt it makes it easier for me to avoid it. This kinda ruins a part of the hype for me, im not familiar with leaking stuff, ive always just waited and bought stuff.

oh great, a guest just posted the link so i deleted it, only now ive got this page infront of me. **** this is temptation. :cussing:

This might be a dumb question but is there anyway some1 can hack stuff and delete L and F from these sites. I dont know how hacking works so i wouldnt know, argh this is so annoying.

oh great, a guest just posted the link so i deleted it, only now ive got this page infront of me. **** this is temptation. :cussing:

This might be a dumb question but is there anyway some1 can hack stuff and delete L and F from these sites. I dont know how hacking works so i wouldnt know, argh this is so annoying.

Well those sites arent really the big problem, its ******* and other sharing problem thats the problem, and when it reaches *****, its impossible to stop.

EDIT by jazzy julie, just incase i edited the name of that place, it wasnt lerkot swearing.

so has tim, aj, bigted, kev havnt downloaded it yet, if u guys havnt it makes it easier for me to avoid it. This kinda ruins a part of the hype for me, im not familiar with leaking stuff, ive always just waited and bought stuff.

add me too that list, i'm waiting, it's been two years waiting i've got no problem waiting 6 days.

i know i will enjoy it more if i wait

I think He's the DJ is still going strong. Its like with art, even if Picasso didnt use new stuff as Paintshop, he still made better paintings than I do with Paintshop.

Yeah... cause that's paintings.. not graphics which is what you do in photoshop. I really hope you don't paint on you computer... you couldn't see the screen so good.

Hmm... youre swedish right? Then I could have explained myself better in swedish instead of fondling around with the complicated english language.

I won't say Tell me why and lost and found is better then summertime cause it's really different kind of songs. But i think code red is really overrated. Homebass was JJFP's best album. Summertime is the worlds best summersong.

But. If we speek lyrically, flow and rhymetechnique and scheduele. Then this is wills best album and songs ever. As he says in lost and found - he doesn't dumb down on this one. And that's a fact if u check the rhymes and the flow.

If you're talking about feeling the songs... then i understand people liking summertime more... cause that's a classic.. it's describes the summer perfect. But hey.. "he's the dj i' the rapper"... you guys joking? That's like.. really, really wack if u compare it to his new stuff. If may have been reallu dope when it came out... same with code red... But those ain't Reasonable doubt's or illmatics which have timeless rhymes and beats...

I can listen to Illmatic and think... yes this is still dope. But if i listen to code red... all i think is old drums.. old beat... old rhymes. The only timeless song will achieved is Summertime. That cause i still can feel the lyrics, the beat and the vibe. it doesn't sound old.

Of course... i still listen to rock the house, he's the dj and that kind of stuff. But i listen to it cause it's fun. Not cause it's musical masterpieces..

Lost and found has a timeless beat. It doesn't need to be different or cool to be timeless, but the drums, the kicks, the snare... the bassline... it's **** that can be listened to in 10 years and saying... no that beat still sounds fresh. Same with Tell me why.. That's a incredible track. Especially lyrically.

I'd disagree on that of course, "He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper" was a timeless classic, with the timeless songs like "Brand New Funk", "As We Go", and "Parents Just Don't Understand", this article here could refresh your memory, you might well just say Run-Dmc, LL Cool J, and Eric B. and Rakim didn't make classic albums back then either 'cause the production and lyricism was just as dope and it was ablout 2 turntables and a mic, not all this expensive recording equipment now :

"Jeff: There's nobody in this world that can't tell me that Will and I weren't hip-hop. I mean, from doing the housing projects, doing the shows, me being a well-known DJ in Philly. Will being someone who could free-style. Putting out "Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble" (1989 on Jive) and it blowing up at hip-hop clubs. People were loving it, going crazy.

Girls and Parents Just Don't Understand" were just as popular as "Eric B For President" (Eric B and Rakim) in B-boy hip-hop circles then. In those simple old days we would be doing tours with Public Enemy, Kid 'N' Play, Heavy D and the Boyz and Run DMC it wasn't a big deal. They would come check us and vice versa and we would be digging each other. The funny thing was that the criticism didn't come from our peers, it was definitely a media vibe. You guys aren't hard enough; you guys are from the suburbs. It was like Damn. I grew up in 57th & Ratmer Street, West Philadelphia and I'm from the suburbs (sighs) and I'm looking around and thinking you don't know anything about me. Yet some folks figured that being liked by three million people meant it had to be suburban," rants Jeff in one breath. "It was true to the extent that white kids suddenly dug hip-hop. We created hip-hop crossover. I wanted everyone -- black and white -- to enjoy themselves. I didn't know whether to defend myself [from that suburban' label] or give in."

When their first hit single "Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble" led to some cross-over success that laid the groundwork for the pop stardom that was to follow with their sophomore LP - He's the DJ, I'm the Rapper. But, after the money started to roll, and their videos started to receive heavy rotation, their original core fans started to yell, 'sell out!'

Jeff: When 'Parents Don't Understand' came out, everybody liked it. Once mainstream audiences started liking it, everybody else started looking at it like 'wow, you guys are doing something different'. Will and I had always been on that vibe, y'know, but yes it was hard, because some original fans felt alienated. But how can you be accused of alienating people when we were doing the same thing we were doing for our original fans."

Oh yes, hip hop audiences can be fickle, and none were more so than the late 80's, early 90's fans who were starting to discover the highly politicized hip hop of groups like Public Enemy and X-Clan, and/or the experimental sounds of the Native Tongue Family. Backlash was bound to happen. Jeff also realizes that the record company's re-imaging that emphasized the duo's light side caused some long-term credibility problems.

Will: The way I maintain, keep it positive man, keep it fun, the original essence of hip-hop was partying and having fun, and im keeping it real for real

Jeff: Will is a hip-hop purist at heart. He's probably frustrated with the state of hip-hop right now. We talked about it and said it would be really cool if we could just scale back to two turntables and a mic. A couple of years ago we were over in London for the Men in Black Premiere, doing a promo tour and we did a night at Sound, the old Jazzy Jeff and Fresh Prince show. The thing is Will is such a perfectionist that he may not want to take the chance of going back for a long haul

We're very actively involved. A lot of people didn't understand that I had a very big role in the production of all his solo records. I just chose not to be an artist - I needed a break. But I'm always there to help him out when he needs it.

How have things changed since you started out? Where was hip-hop then vs. where hip-hop is now?

Jeff: I think there was a lot more, I don't want to say "creativity," but it just seems like there was a lot more diversity. People were just really open and wanted to do new stuff, and try innovative things back then. You could have a tour with Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, Run-DMC, Public Enemy, and everybody has an audience, and everybody loves everybody. Everyone was making money, but everyone was having so much fun. Then, the rivalries in hip-hop were about "I'm the best DJ" or "I'm the best MC." It just seems now that's it's about "I have more money" and "no, I have more money." Where did all the skill level go? Now it's like the best rapper is the one that makes the most money

Jeff: What a lot of people don't understand is that we didn't ask for pop [success]. I'm not saying we didn't accept it when we got it, but it was weird. If you look at [our second album], He's the D.J., I'm the Rapper, that was a hip-hop album of a different sort. Will was freestylin' and there were beats and cuts on it. Still, we got labeled by the biggest hit that we had ["Parents Just Don't Understand"].

Jeff: "The beginning of Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince, it was kinda like if you turn back the clock and listen to the first album that we made - we have "A Touch of Jazz"? on it, which was pretty much one of the first records to ever use Jazz samples mixed together with Will rhyming. You have "The Magnificent Jazzy Jeff" on it which was pretty much probably one of the very early turntablist records. Then you have "Girls Ain't Nothin' But Trouble" which was a huge hip hop hit, 'cause you got Will telling the story basically to a beat. You got records like "Jeff's Rocking" which was almost like an early hardcore Will just spitting. Then comes the second record (He's The DJ I'm The Rapper), which had the layout of the same stuff. But you have "Parents Just Don't Understand." And because "Parents Just Don't Understand" blew up on the commercial side, you're automatically locked. People were like, 'oh my God, you guys are from the suburbs!' For a while you try to fight that stereotype but it got to a point. I've always been into all types of music, Will has always been a lyricist. You get to a point where you really can't worry about the perceptions. A lot of stuff that I'm doing now is really soulful, but when you sit and think about it - the song that I did with J-Live, is kinda like a jazz record, just like "A Touch of Jazz" was; then you got a whole bunch of soulful stuff, but what was "Summertime"? The whole thing about the music industry is once you do something and you're deemed successful at doing it, they ain't trying to have you try anything else

Still, the duo more albums in them. One of them, Homebase (produced at ATOJ) brought the duo platinum sales and their second Grammy (in 1991) for "Summertime."

"That was a monumental song in hip-hop," says King Britt of Smith's lyrical tale of Philly seasonal nuances like barbecues, car washes and street-corner romance. "It was a clear picture of what summer is for the black community." Jeff sees the song as a testament to the fact that they could sell records and still make something stunningly creative.

Fresh Prince: We realised very early on that what we do is special. People always talk about us and put us down, but we cater more to the fans, and less to other rappers"

btw, "Code Red" basically has the same types of beats and rhymes as "Illmatic" and "Reasonable Doubt" does, and featured timeless songs like "Twinkle Twinkle"(I'm Not A Star), "I'm Looking For The One"(To Be With Me), "I Wanna Rock", and "Shadow Dreams", of course all those albums have different styles, but it's all hip-hop perfection. I expect "Lost and Found" to be different 'cause FP ain't in his 20's anymore, he's 36 now, he's more mature, he won't be talking about that kid stuff anymore 'cause he's a married man, but JJFP had an awesome chemistry at what they did back then, so it was perfection too. I respect your opinion though. :peace: