JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

old school vs new school

To me the difference comes down to creativity, ol' school is a more original way of thinkin', new school style is too commercial and less originality! :werd: I prefer ol' school style even though I'm only 19 'cause a lot of the younger entertainers have been acting like punks!

Style, Presentation, Lyrical Content. And then, well, the Fact That, Old School is, old stuff, and new school is the Newer rap :)

It depends on what new School you're talking about, because there are some ill Mcs out right now. Not every reapper can please everyone. Most of the mainstream you have currently is driven qwith catchy beats and such.

Old school is late-70 to about 1988. It basically covers the pioneering days 2 the golden years. I wouldn't call anything from the early 90's new school...but it's definitly not old school. I would consider new school whatever is current. Of course most current rap isn't Hip-Hop music...so i wouldn't even consider the popular stuff any kind of school. Ja-Rule, Ludacris and all those cats flunked outta school...ha ha.

Old school hip-hop had creativity and originality. You had different styles of hip-hop and all of these styles had a piece of the spotlight. You had cats who were political(KRS-One, Public Enemy, X-Clan), dance-oriented(Heavy D. & The Boyz, Salt-N-Pepa, Kid-N-Play, MC Hammer), light-hearted and comical(JJFP, Biz Markie), and cats who were straigh lyricists(Eric B. & Rakim). No one wanted to bite another MC's style. He/She wanted to have their own thing and that's what made hip-hop so great. I think old-school ranges from the late 70's to around 1990.

New school is completely devoid of originality and creativity. New school is driven by money and when that happens, hip-hop loses its soul. Everybody is trying to be the next somebody. It all sounds like everybody's auditioning to be the next Tupac or the next Biggie. Most of the music and lyrics are straight garbage and if you go outside the norm, you'll most likely be ignored. There are exceptions to the rule(Outkast, Kayne West) but generally all of the music sounds like one long, boring club song.

Another thing that separates the two are the lyrics. With old-school hip-hop, I didn't have to worry about a lot of cursing and filthy lyrics. Now it's the norm. You can't even hear about half the song because they're editing the lyrics. Edited by TopDawg14

[quote=Vipa,May 4 2004, 04:38 AM]Actually, i'm pretty sure ludacris Graduated from College.. :)[/quote]
I think u are just making fun of my statement. But 4 those who think i'm saying those guys literally flunked outta skool...i waz making a joke that alot of these new cats are so wack and untalented that i don't consider them new school Hip-Hop...they flunked outta the new school...they are just...bad music makers.

• Admin
tajai from souls of mischief went to stanford..was actually in one of the same class as tiger woods..and hes a teacher..smart guy.. his new album power movement just came out...
chuck d hes another very smart rapper..does a lot of talks across colege campuses
j-live i think he was a teacher 2..

[quote=Hero1,May 4 2004, 11:37 PM]tajai from souls of mischief went to stanford..was actually in one of the same class as tiger woods..and hes a teacher..smart guy.. his new album power movement just came out...[/quote]
really? I will ask him tomorrow evenin, after da show :dancingcool: ...