JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Downloading Music

scyhigh99

That's why more artists these days go independant, 'cause they can't financially keep up with constantly releasin' albums on a mainstream label, the only ones that could are the ones that do commercials, movies, and other endorsements, but only a handful like Jay-Z, Outkast, LL Cool J, Will Smith, P.Diddy, Nelly, 50 Cent, and Jermaine Dupri really have that opportunity, there's a whole bunch of names on those mainstream labels who end up gettin' dumped with no money from low sales 'cause if you only sell a few thousand on a mainstream label, you'll be going poor, they could end up losing more money than they gain, that's why they have to tour, independent artists actually could make more money sellin' a few thousand albums than mainstream rappers could sellin' 1 million albums.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin

if you download independant albums and not commercial ones thats a lot worse.. commercial artists may get $1 a cd which they never see because that goes to their budget being recouped.. independant artists may be making up to $8-10 a cd

The independant/big label thing is just how capitalism works and why its difficult to make it big in ANY form of entertainment, but I agree with Hero that supporting small indie artists is probably more important than buying OutKast's Speakerboxxx/Love Below album or something. As for the MC Hammer thing, I never said he wasn't a respectable person or artist. All I'm saying is that the fact that he had a huuuuge mansion and actually tried to employ so many ppl he knew, as noble or whatever as that might be, proves the man was absolutely rolling in ca$h. Yeah he went bankrupt, but not from being slighted on profits as an artist-- to say that is an insult to working ppl who go bankrupt because they can't afford the necessities of life for themselves and their families, period. Anyways, finally, about the 99 cent per song on iTunes being reasonable, which I had missed from Hero's post before-- it's totally ridiculous. I'll pay it for songs I can't find for free or whatever, but there is absolutely no cost in putting up songs as files on a downloading service-- unlike CD's, that 99 cents is virtually all profit. If I just want some random song that I like that's mainstream, I'm not paying a buck for it!!!! Any way you spin that, it's corporate greed.

Edited by scyhigh99

Well my dream has always been that each record company's website would open their own iTunes-like mp3 store. That way, there's no middle man like Apple or Napster to cut away at profits, and since there's no packaging or materials spent - just copying of files - it would literally be 100% profit for the artist and the record company (minus the neglegent recording costs). If it was set up like that, I would say 15 or 20 cents a song would not be unreasonable, and I'd be willing to bet sales would rise considerably if they did it that way... As for on iTunes now, 50 cents would certainly be a bit more reasonable, and they could probably cut it back even more than that (Apple probably takes more of a cut than is necessary... if they took less of a cut and made the costs lower, their profits would probably rise anyways). It doesn't sound like a huge difference from 99 to 50, but it's basically half the cost (obviously), and that adds up (hugely). Just because it sounds like it's not that much, 99 cents is insane when you consider they're selling copied 2 or 3 minute song files. And if you listen to a large scope of music as a fan, those charges can pile up real fast. I just got a iPod mini for my birthday/graduation gift, and it holds approximately 1000 tracks. Let's just say there's not a chance in helllllll I'm filling that thing up with $1000 worth of music lol.

:ridepony: I need to take over the music industry (in my humble opinion)

Edited by scyhigh99

Prince has said that he made alot of money releasing his indie albums cuz he got all the money from their sales. But with Musicology, it waz his 1st time dropping a big label album in years...but u know that the people who downloaded stuff off of Musicology added up 2 more people that downloaded stuff of all of his indie albums...simply cuz of the promotion audience it waz aimed 4.

I download quite a lot because I haven´t got the bucks to buy the cds and also because i think some of those artists have got enough money already. Look at will 4 example.

That exactly what wrong with people 2day. If u want something bad enuff u buy it. U can't call yourself a fan or supporter of an artist if u don't buy their album. U think any of the money he made from Willennium or Born To Reign waz a major income 4 him?!?!?

I do not call myself a fan in the first place because i´m not a fanatic. I listen to the music and i like the person but i would not label myself as a fan. I get Will´s LPs of eBay mostly and that does not make him richer anyway. I furthermore do not care about how much money Will made with his last albums, because I know that he gets a minimum of 20 million dollars for each movie. I think that is quite enough to make a living.

Well the only reason why MC Hammer was making so much doe back then was 'cause he had a lot of endorsement deals and had a massive tour, not 'cause he sold 10 million albums, he didn't make that much profit from the album, even though he sold that much, you can't make money off record sales as a mainstream artist, you gotta do other things. Speaking of MC Hammer ain't he on an independent label now that he released his album last year on? He's probably making better money now than he did back then, even though he ain't popular anymore. And if you think making movies is easy, Will says he works 60 hours a week on making films, that's a lot more than the 40 hour weeks the average person works, so these people earn their money. It's not like he works for a few hours then goes home to party with his 20 million. If nobody buys this "Lost and Found" album, Will's gonna have to put a lot of money out of his own pocket just to go on tour and it wouldn't be worth it, or decide to do another movie instead of touring, at least if some people buy the album, he'll be able to afford going on tour. There's music clubs out there like Columbia and BMG where you could buy CDs at a discount price if you don't feel like paying full price, the only thing is though they don't carry a new release until a few months later. But when your favorite artists albums get released the 1st week, they're usually at a discount price too, so you could end up getting a good deal anyway, you just gotta know how to shop.

One thing 2 consider about artists/people who file for bankrupysy, it dosen't mean they are broke with nothing 2 their name. It's something that u do when your income fluxuates and u realize that your current income hasn't fit in with your steady expences. It's a way 2 protect yourself and get things in order. When MC Hammer, TLC, and Toni Braxton filled for it, they weren't flat broke. MC Hammer used that as a way 2 balance out his life. He said in an interview that he used it as a way 2 get things in order. TLC did it cuz the people on their original contract wouldn't re-work the deal they signed with. TLC signed like, and 8 album deal but were making no money off their record. They had 2 cover the costs of their music videos and stuff like that and needed 2 use touring as a way 2 make money, but with T-Boz having sickle cell, she can't tour extensively, which held them back. Pepples waz making money off their momumental CraZySeXyCOol album when she had nothing 2 do with it. TLC filed 4 bankruptsy 2 re-work their deal and make a lil' money and 2 get some people from taking their money. When theycame back with FanMail (their 1st album after the legal battle), they stayed with LaFace, got more money off album sales, headlined a HUGE tour, had real fanclub, and merchandise. Toni Braxton hasnt' really talked about her situation. But i can say that Toni Braxton and especially TLC fell victim 2 people downloading 2 much of their music. Both of them are huge names in music and their last albums didn't do 2 well. Left Eye once gave props 2 how music being available online, but it waz her solo album Supernova and 3D that fell victim 2 exessive downloading, neither of those albums did nearly as well as their past ones. If she waz still around, i wonder what she'd say. Let's not forget that Born To Reign is FP's weakest selling album and that u could download that album every where.

Oh yeah, MC Hammer waz supposed 2 drop a new album this year...i heard 3 of the trax and liked them all. I don't think anything has happened since early fall, not sure if it's still comin' out.

Guest lambertj3

aj i think you missed the point i download because like the other guy said these artist are insanely rich don't you watch cribs? hear i am barely able to pay rent i am not going to pay 20$ for a cd that may or may not be all that good

aj i think you missed the point i download because like the other guy said these artist are insanely rich don't you watch cribs? hear i am barely able to pay rent i am not going to pay 20$ for a cd that may or may not be all that good

lambert, are you serious? "do you watch cribs?" you do know that most of those houses you see on cribs are rented don't you?

let me break down the music biz for a second. most artists are not the big ballers they claim to be. as far as record sales go this is how it works:

let's say an artist sells a million copies and at $15 a pop that's $15 million. before the record company sees the return the government comes in and takes its tax which is about 45%. so now that $15 million is almost cut in half right off the top. the record label then gets their piece, followed by the manufacturers, producers, writers, studio techs., etc. before it ever gets to the artist. after everyone gets their cut, the artist may be left with $1-2 million of those sales and since a lot of artists don't have basic business sense, then they end up burning the money before the check comes.

even tours and endorsements can be tricky. the record label you're under gets a piece whatever you do. tours can be profitable even after you pay the label, concert promoter, various venues, and other employees but again you have to be smart with your money.

the fact is that most of these artists are "fronting" when you see them. puffy, jay-z, eminem, dr. dre, ll, fp and a few others are actual ballers. it's actually better to be a producer or a writer in the music biz.

i think a lot of people believe that these videos are how rappers really live and that's just not the case. 50 cent may to really check his finances because he may not have the money he thinks he has.

all that being said, .99 cents for a single is cheap. i'd rather do that than dish out $15 for a cd that has only 1 or 2 good songs. itunes, napster, and others are great!

LoL This thread somehow evolved into a "but how rich are these celebrities, REALLY, tho?" discussion... Let's just say that if they can even RENT one of the "Cribs" apartments, they are doing just fine... I feel no need to discuss this inane topic in any more depth than that :ridepony:

Edited by scyhigh99