JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

What artists/tracks you feelin' lately?

A Rapper is strictly someone who raps. Fresh Prince is a rapper...but so is 50 Cent. Anybody can rap. Fred Durst raps.

An Emcee is a wordsmith, someone who can move the crowd. Emceeing is more about the creative writing side and then relating 2 your audience, whether it be a live crowd or someone listing 2 your music on a CD/cassette or vinyl. Not every rapper is an emcee. Fred Durst isn't and emcee. 50 Cent isn't an emcee. Fresh Prince IS and emcee. LL Cool J is an emcee. Rakim is an emcee.

Emcees make Hip-Hop music. Rappers just rap over beats. 50 Cent raps, so he's a rapper who happens 2 make rap music. Linkin Park has rappers in their group, but they aren't a rap group and they don't make rap music...but that's the way it is.

I think it's important 2 know what is Hip-Hop and what isn't. 50 Cent isn't Hip-Hop. Some people like his music, that's their opinion, but it's fact that he isn't Hip-Hop. Some people don't like FP, which is their opinion, but they can't deny that he makes Hip-Hop music. Labeling stuff 2 much is silly, but when i hear people say Nelly or G-Unit is Hip-Hop, i get all defensive cuz i'm a Hip-Hop head and i don't like the idea of someone thinking they make music that represents me.

Ok man, thanx for that!!! Very well explained! Now I know... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Rapper is strictly someone who raps.  Fresh Prince is a rapper...but so is 50 Cent.  Anybody can rap.  Fred Durst raps.

An Emcee is a wordsmith, someone who can move the crowd.  Emceeing is more about the creative writing side and then relating 2 your audience, whether it be a live crowd or someone listing 2 your music on a CD/cassette or vinyl.  Not every rapper is an emcee.  Fred Durst isn't and emcee.  50 Cent isn't an emcee.  Fresh Prince IS and emcee.  LL Cool J is an emcee.  Rakim is an emcee.

Emcees make Hip-Hop music.  Rappers just rap over beats.  50 Cent raps, so he's a rapper who happens 2 make rap music.  Linkin Park has rappers in their group, but they aren't a rap group and they don't make rap music...but that's the way it is. 

I think it's important 2 know what is Hip-Hop and what isn't.  50 Cent isn't Hip-Hop.  Some people like his music, that's their opinion, but it's fact that he isn't Hip-Hop.  Some people don't like FP, which is their opinion, but they can't deny that he makes Hip-Hop music.  Labeling stuff 2 much is silly, but when i hear people say Nelly or G-Unit is Hip-Hop, i get all defensive cuz i'm a Hip-Hop head and i don't like the idea of someone thinking they make music that represents me.

Ok man, thanx for that!!! Very well explained! Now I know... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Yeah I was practically quoting JumpinJack when the girls in my said 50 Cent was a hiphoper. Thx!

Here's what I'm feelin right now:

Phanatik - The Incredible Walk.

He's a Christian MC who justs rips the mic. He's in a group called The Cross Movement. The album is off the chain. He's got a song called "Hip-Hop Music" in which he justs breaks it down and exposes the trash that is rap music today.

You can go to Cross Movement Records to learn more about him and his crew.

Oh by the way, they're from Philly!

:thumb:

:werd: Cross Movement is dope! i've got 2 or 3 of their albums. in fact, u've inspired me 2 listen 2 them this weekend. :kool:

He's a Christian MC who justs rips the mic.  He's in a group called The Cross Movement.  The album is off the chain.  He's got a song called "Hip-Hop Music" in which he justs breaks it down and exposes the trash that is rap music today. 

:werd: Cross Movement is dope! i've got 2 or 3 of their albums. in fact, u've inspired me 2 listen 2 them this weekend. :kool:

I love "A Girl Named World" if u've heard that track...good stuff!

Right now I'm feelin' K-OS. Again, I suggest u check him out...many of u will like his music, I'm sure.

He's a Christian MC who justs rips the mic.  He's in a group called The Cross Movement.  The album is off the chain.  He's got a song called "Hip-Hop Music" in which he justs breaks it down and exposes the trash that is rap music today. 

I love "A Girl Named World" if u've heard that track...good stuff!

Right now I'm feelin' K-OS. Again, I suggest u check him out...many of u will like his music, I'm sure.

r u kiddin'? A Girl Named World is my fav song by them!! :thumb:

I saw the new Common video on "Rap City" the other day called "In The Corner", it's a staight hip-hop video with a nice message to it, I'm looking forward to getting his album next month, there's some hope in hip-hop this year after all.

Hey I'm glad to see Faith Evans back in the r&b game, a beautiful woman with a good voice is rare to find these days, I saw her new video "Again" on BET today.

I've been listenin' to KRS-ONE's "Kristyles" album a lot lately, I actually play that one now as much as "Return Of Da Boombap" album, "It's All A Struggle" has been my favorite on the album lately but my favorites change all the time, like FP he gets better with age, the lyrics are so deep in this song:

"[Chorus: KRS] + (guest)

It's all a struggle (tryin to make it day to day)

It's all a struggle (from my hood to around your way)

It's all a struggle (single parents all by theyself)

It's all a struggle (diseases decreasin your health)

It's all a struggle (fiends swearin that's they last puff)

It's all a struggle (hustler tryin to avoid handcuffs)

(No matter what you do, who you are or where you from)

(Rich poor black white, at the end of the day)

[Verse One: KRS-One]

It's all a struggle - and most people's struggles are doubled

You ain't the only one with a challenge facin some trouble

Look at the woman chewed up by the dog with no muzzle

Or the workers that got trapped underground in that tunnel

Some kids are playin in pools, others in puddles

When they listen to the news the propoganda is subtle

But it's time for you to know that the cryin got to go

Release the guilt that you built and let it flow

Slow and low, that is the tempo

Move slow and on the low, this you gotta know

You don't get the muscles without the hard struggles

You ain't the only one out here tryin to get dough

From the hustler to the preacher to the government leaders

From the airline pilot to the chef to the teachers

We linked in the same huddle, in the same tussle'n'bustle

Cause at the end of the day, it's all a struggle

[Chorus]

[Verse Two: KRS-One]

It's all a struggle - but don't let the challenges bug you

Or the government drug you, or the thieves in the street

beat and mug you - build your tunnel under the rubble

Come up on the other side eye to eye with the trouble

Look at the Twin Towers crumble

Look at the religious leadership stumble, everybody struggles

But not everybody comes through nifty, it's fifty/fifty

The city itself will outrun you quickly

Whether you be healthy or sickly

Whether you be wealthy or thrifty, ugly or pretty

Everybody's tryin to get 50's and 100's

I taught this at UCLA just off Sunset

Now run get "Ruminations"

It's a book that I published for the healing of this nation

In just a few chapters we run through, some possible solutions

Cause at the end of the day

[Chorus]

[KRS-One]

It's all a struggle"

This song is easily more deeper than anything gettin' airplay, this album is a hip-hop classic, every song's hot, I suggest whoever wants to hear a dope hip-hop album should buy this one.

Edited by bigted

i'm feelin Will right now!!!

:werd: I think we all are, people are gonna rank him among the all-time greats like KRS-ONE, LL Cool J, Chuck D, and Rakim after this album comes out next week! :ali:

:werd: . I BEEN LISTENING TO JJ&FP ALBUMS MOSTLY. I THINK WILL'S ALBUM IS GONNA KO THESE FAKE GANGSTA RAPPERS :ali:

Anthony Hamilton:Comming From were i'm from

Will Smith:The Beat Goes

Jadakiss:Why

Mos Def:The Boggie Man song

Big Punisher:Its so hard

2pac:Keep ya head up 1&2,Letter 2 my first born

lol evan b2k's boys for 4 life,what you get(these are nice songs!)

these help get through my hard life

Edited by markwinfield1

• 1 month later...
  • Members

"Okayplayer

Pull up a chair

I'm Aceyalone and I'm running for mayor

That's just the intro as if you cared

I'd like to introduce you to a true rhyme sayer

Born in California, in West Bel-Air

I like to hit the beat from right under the snare

And my flow holds tight like you're huggin' a bear"

It's so damn catchy too! :wiggle:

i can't find the lyrics beyond that. could you tell me where to find them or the lyrics themselves?