JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

ckeck it:will smith is a NAS influence

Guest Guest_moro

Guest Guest_moro

HEY guys this is a nas interview and well.....read!!!

My man Quiz here had a question about your musical influences. We were wondering who were some of your mentors in hip-hop?

?: As far as rap music? Most definitely. We always start at the beginning. A lot of people's hip-hop experience start with the Sugar Hill Gang's 'Rappers Delight' but because Philly's so close to New York I always had access to early mix tapes and a lot of old school battles. My all-time favorite collection is this 4th of July 1981 battle between the Cold Crush Brothers and the Fantastic Five, now that to me is the complete essence of what rap music and hip-hop performance is all about. That is our blueprint for how we perform. Early Grandmaster Flash tapes from the Funhouse and in the Bronx... Afrika Bambaatta has a few mix tapes circulating around when he was spinning at Zulu Nation Anniversary parties especially the 5th and 6th ones...umm...and early Philadelphia independent artists...and of course Will Smith is known now for his show, the whole comedy aspect, but him and Jazzy Jeff were the mix tape kings back in '84/'85... especially during that time where there wasn't the whole collection of 'Ultimate Beats and Breaks' - the bible of hip hop DJs and producers, the albums that had all those breaks on it....he wasn't even spinning those, this is when he had to extend electro stuff. Like he would extend Tears For Fears 'Shout', like a little drum break from 'Shout' for at least 20 minutes just by going back and forth. He would cut the mess out of Trouble Funk's 'Pump Me Up' and just a bunch of stuff man. I got this one tape from 1985, Will Smith freestyling, Jeff and Cash Money going toe to toe at Central High School...stuff that's not accessible and I collect a lot of old school hip-hop because that's what we're all in to.

Nas is always giving props to the ol' school hip-hop legends, it doesn't surprise me that he gives props to JJFP, he has a song on "street's disciple" called "u.b.r"(unauthorized biography of rakim) giving props to rakim and is gonna release it as his next single. Thanks for posting that interview! :thumb:

... I don't see how they can be mixtape kings of 1984 when they wern't 2gether then?!?!

I thought Will Smith met Jazzy Jeff in the early '80s, I think it's possible they might've did some underground stuff before they made "Girls Ain't Nothin' Trouble" in 1986 'cause they were winnin' battles in Philly before they got signed, maybe some of those battles were recorded on tape. Nas would be old enough back then to remember hearing about it, most of us here wouldn't know about it since we were either too lil' or weren't born yet. :ditto:

I don't think that this is for real. There's no official source and btw, Will and Jeff met them each other at a party back in '85...

But it would be nice if this is for real :thumb:

JJFP Rocks The House

Naa I think it was around 82-83 they met at first, but they got the name JJFP first 1985 if remember it right.

Naa I think it was around 82-83 they met at first, but they got the name JJFP first 1985 if remember it right.

No, JJ+FP met in 1985. Jazzy waz just a DJ, FP waz a party DJ and in another rap crew. 1985 is when they met, and the summer of the next year is when "Girls Ain't Nothing But Trouble" originally dropped.