JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

Hitch - Final Worldwide Box Office

TopDawg14

That's whatever....

Hitch is doing unbelievably well. Has Hitch premired in Japan yet? Will has a great chance to do better overseas than he did in the US. Crazy...

Why is that crazy? It aint like its more ppl living in US than in the rest of the world :confused3:

Edited by Lerkot

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In general, US films usually have better promotion, better distribution, and as a result, better sales within the US as opposed to the rest of the world. Empirical evidence supports this. In keeping with this, Hitch is even more of a phenomenon. Hitch is a romantic comedy, a genre which usually doesn't sell as well outside of the US as inside. For example, I can almost guarantee that the new romantic comedy, "Fever Pitch" will not do as well outside of the US as it will inside. The movies that do best outside of the US are usually blockbusters... Independence Day, Men In Black, Spiderman, X-Men... War of the Worlds coming later this year, and also, US films with international stars. I am generalizing, because I'm sure there certainly are exceptions.

Though there are of course more people living in the rest of the world than the US, US films have to compete with films originating from all parts of the world when shown in different countries, whereas that is not much of an issue within the US.

All in all, crazy is the perfect word to describe the Hitch phenomenon we have seen all over the world. No one thought it would do so well in the US less the rest of the world, and I for one am quite happy.

Also, remember, this is really the first big movie outing for Overbrook... which makes the accomplishment even more exciting.

Edited by MaxFly

Update:

The weekend estimates have been released and Hitch came in at #12 with an estimated $1.2 million. That brings its total to $175.4 million. It's still another $1.3 million short from taking over the #4 all-time spot on the romantic comedy list.

Actual numbers are released on Monday night. Overseas numbers will come out either Tuesday or Wednesday.

Updated Numbers:

Domestic: $175.5 million

Overseas: $170.4 million

Total B.O.: $345.9 million

Hitch continues to make strides at the international box office. With its international total eclipsing $170 million, Hitch's worldwide total has passed $340 million. The romantic comedy was #1 in Greece, Portugal and The Netherlands. Keep in mind, the movie has yet to open in Japan.

The movie will definitely finish above $350 million and will now set its sights on $375 million worldwide.

Update:

Hitch dropped 3 spots to #15 this weekend at the box office but that's not the news. With its $750,000 weekend estimate total, Hitch has now passed There's Something About Mary into 4th place on the all-time romantic comedy list.

If the weekend numbers hold up, Hitch will officially be #4. If not, the movie will certainly surpass that total on Monday.

Overseas numbers due Tuesday or Wednesday.

:thumb:

I thought it was already #1 for the all time romantic comedy?? Or was it the biggest selling romantic comedy?

Hitch's opening weekend of over $43 million is the biggest opening weekend ever for a romantic comedy. Its overall total of $176.6 million is the 4th biggest romantic comedy of all-time.

I thought it was already #1 for the all time romantic comedy??  Or was it the biggest selling romantic comedy?

Hitch's opening weekend of over $43 million is the biggest opening weekend ever for a romantic comedy. Its overall total of $176.6 million is the 4th biggest romantic comedy of all-time.

Oh ok! Thanks for clearing that up!