JJFP reunite for 50 years of Hip Hop December 10 ×
Jazzy Jeff & Fresh Prince Forum

I'm so happy to be Hitched, says Will

MissAshley

(FOUND THIS ON GOOGLE)

WHAT’S the recipe for a successful marriage, Will Smith-style? “My wife and I clearly understand that in order to love a woman you have to love women, you have to appreciate women in general,” says the Hollywood superstar, who visited Manchester yesterday for the premiere of his new film Hitch. (Check out our photogallery of the occasion.)

In the romantic comedy, already a huge hit in the USA, he plays a “Date Doctor”, a man who, for a fee, will help almost any man woo the woman of his dreams.

“Everything between my wife Jada and me is 100 per cent pure honesty,” he continues. “It makes it a lot easier that we remove all the uncertainly from our relationship.

"When we first got together, I was coming out of a divorce and she was coming out of a bad relationship and there was no time for bull, you know. There was just blatant, hard, cold honesty and that’s the basis of our relationship.

“I remember what I said to her when I told her that I wanted us to actually be together. We’d seen one another a couple of times on one or two dates but we hadn’t actually seen each other for a year.

“Then I called her up in Baltimore right after my divorce had hit the press and said ‘hey look, are you seeing anybody right now?’ She said ‘no’ and I said ‘alright, cool, you’re seeing me’!

“She said ‘oh, okay’ and I said ‘look, I’m on set, I’ve got to go’! That was February 19 ten years ago!”

Obviously, that sort of silver-tongued stuff works then!

Further attempts to press Smith on what some press reports have quaintly described as the “open marriage” enjoyed by him and Jada Pinkett-Smith elicit only the confusing response from him that: “Fidelity in a marriage is huge, you’ve got to have that or you have nothing.

“Pure 100 per cent unadulterated honesty is the only way that you can truly be successful. But don’t believe everything that you read in a newspaper!”

Hitch and just about every other romantic comedy suggests that everyone out there is just waiting to be swept off their feet by the love of their life, if they haven’t been already? Does Will believe that? “Absolutely, it’s the highest desire to which we all aspire,” he maintains.

“We all want to be in love, to find that person who is going to love us no matter that our feet smell, no matter how angry we get one day, no matter that we say things we don’t mean, we want someone to love us in spite of all those things.”

Since his brilliant film debut as the young, gay conman in the intimate drama Six Degrees of Separation, his roles have pretty much exclusively been in the big, blockbuster entertainment films of the world, the likes of Men In Black and Independence Day, where he plays the likeable good guy.

“Well, the bad guy roles don’t really speak to me,” he admits.

“Although I just saw The Woodsman (where Kevin Bacon plays a convicted paedophile who has to confront his own demons after he is released from prison) and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a role that was more brave, that was more disquieting for an audience.

“I feel like I would have been able to make that role really scary.

“I do think I’m good enough an actor to do it.”

So do producers not offer him that sort of role, because they’re just not ‘Will Smith’ enough?

“The offers do come through,” he says, surprisingly, “it’s just that I have been less than receptive, so I think it’s something that I need to open up to.

“I don’t get annoyed that some in the industry still might think that a movie like this, Hitch, with a black male lead and a Hispanic female lead, can be successful, let alone the most popular film in the country right now back home.

“You’ve got to study the way things are in order to have things happen the way that you want them to happen.”

What then of the suggestions that he has long-term political ambitions?

“No, politics is not for me,” he says dismissively. “I think that you can be much more effective in the private sector. When you have a constituency that you have to please, then you can’t listen to your heart.”

And, finally, one sure-fire way to attract women?

“The best thing that a guy can do if he wants women to be attracted to him is to get married,” he laughs.

“It is amazing how a successful marriage is an aphrodisiac!”

Hitch opens on March 11

*nice to see Will address the open marriage BS, even though most of us who are TRUE fans with common sense didn't believe the crap in the first place

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/entertai..._says_will.html

Edited by willjadafan